• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

phase change at la casa

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tex4 said:
nunez1980 Whats the green colored hoses?

yeh, looks like nb.

nunez....any tips or warnings at direct die now that youve got one down? like time saving techniques or things to watch out for that will save you time?

thx.

laters.
t

tgp said:

yeh, looks like nb.

nunez....any tips or warnings at direct die now that youve got one down? like time saving techniques or things to watch out for that will save you time?

thx.

laters.
t

tip#1, the one thing that really kill my time was the compressor,

I started with 1/2 ac compressor, too loud,

then I try 1/2 refrigeration, too big and kinda of loud

ended up with 1/4 compressors, the sweet spot, quiet and enought power

tip#2, finding a hose for the return line was a major time consuming, I try some 3/8" refrigeration hoses, they were a little stiff, bought some 3/8" ac car refrigeration hoses from rparts.com, they really sux, cost me like 90 bucks and they were like cement:mad:

I ended up with 1/4" hoses connected to 3/8" cooper tubing to return to the compressor, very flexible, I love them, cost me like 17 bucks for a set of three, they are regular filling hoses, they ones you attack to your gauges;)

tip#3
capillary tubing is also a major comsuming part, I try .026, .028, .031, .036, and .040, and ended up with 120" of .040, thats gets me plenty of cooling for both, on the cpu one, is fully charge, and on the gpu is not fully charge so it doesn't get too cold to handle, this was doing on r-22, I hear with some other refrigerant, you might need more restriction for the refrigerant to work properly

tip#4
talk to someone that know about this so they could give a list of thing you need, so you don't buy things you don't need

tip#5
get a small fillter rated for you compressor and also with a service port so you don't have to expend or need to solder one giving you a change for a leak

tip#6
I really recommend people to put a strainer, it goes between the capillary and the filter, it will catch anything on the system, and it will save you the cap and major pains in the head, this is from experience:(

tip#7
read, and do some more reading...

well guys,
I will later put a list of all the pieces and materials need to do the job right the first time...

Where do we read? I know this is probubly the next thing I will do, when I have the money. Where did you learn about all this? Online? Classes? Job? It would be great if you could point me (us) to some online information.

Big_Baller said:
Where do we read? I know this is probubly the next thing I will do, when I have the money. Where did you learn about all this? Online? Classes? Job? It would be great if you could point me (us) to some online information.

well I learn most things online, but there are so many you just learn alone, which cost money, thats the main reason I will do a no brainer guide so people buy only the things they need, making life a little easier:)

first thing first,
refrigeration basics

this one has a great forum dedicated to phase change :D

phase-change.com

read some so you can get the general idea, very soon a will made another and will take pictures and will explain every little detail;)

well laterz

tgp said:
what! you allready made a dual evap setup!?
if so those are NICE temps for a dual setup. where are your cap tubes?

i would think at least 1/3. maybe even 1/2. no more than that though.

bowman1964@phase change.com made a 5 evap one. so if you could find the size of his compressor it should do your dual evap nicely.

well yeah I had to try it and I'm liking the results, at the start it felt a little different but I guess i'm getting addictic:D

newsetup1.JPG

there you can see the two caps and the way I set it up, and please excuse me my mesh I did it in a flash to see if I could get it to work, it is using 13" of .036;)

dissolved, thanks for the input on the compressors, right now, I have two real ones of 1/3, and the other 1/4, but since the 1/4 is smaller I will use that, I think it will work nicely too:D

about the cap tube, do you recommend anyone in particular, I saw the thread with bowman and he use 12" of 0.36, I'm thinking on doing it too, good idea?

also I ordered some more cooper, want to redesign my blocks so they could be only one lever, and I want to make the gpu one with the fitting on the side so I don't lose too many pci slots, this world without slots could get a little boring:rolleyes:

well laterz, and peach out

nunez

hey looking good, glad you got it up and working well. Looking at your results I wish I could work on my cascade some more but Im going to college right now:( Just wanted to ask if you know what btu the 1/4hp compressor is and what vacuum you are getting on the cpu return line.

Warlord2 said:
hey looking good, glad you got it up and working well. Looking at your results I wish I could work on my cascade some more but Im going to college right now:( Just wanted to ask if you know what btu the 1/4hp compressor is and what vacuum you are getting on the cpu return line.

well don't know about btu, all I know its 25 LRA, btu can be tricky cause at different temps, you will have different btu:eek:,

with one compressor 1/3-1/4 and one evaporator, idle around 10 below, and 0 at load psi with 120" of .040 cap

with one compressor 1/2 and two evaporators, I haven't try with processor, but I needed to put it 10psi in order to have plenty of refrerent in the system to have evaporators temps of -37c on one and -31c on the other, this was done with 13' of .036

well I hope you find the time, it takes time at the beggining but with experience you can finish a whole setup in a day with lots of coffe or beer is fine too:D

tgp said:
so your using a 1/2hp compressor for your dual evap setup?

no, I just did I quick test thats all, if I were to use 1/2 then that would defeat the perpuse of compact, the only reason I will do the dual will be with a 1/4-1/3 compressor so I could put everything inside the same box, if thats not possible I will stay with what I got;)

I would stick with the 1/3hp-1/4hp compressors, the 1/2hps are just too damn noisy. They are almost worse then those delta fans. My cascade setup is basically done, it just needs to be calibrated and I think there might be a small leak in it somewhere. I need to get ahold of some co2 to really take advantage of the cascade though, that its going to be hard to get. What kind of overclock did you get with the barton and the gfx card?

:eek:

dude those are wicked temps for being a dual evap, especially your first try. would have thought you may, and thats a definate may, hit -15c on each one.

these temps are Celcius right?

Warlord2 said:
I would stick with the 1/3hp-1/4hp compressors, the 1/2hps are just too damn noisy. They are almost worse then those delta fans. My cascade setup is basically done, it just needs to be calibrated and I think there might be a small leak in it somewhere. I need to get ahold of some co2 to really take advantage of the cascade though, that its going to be hard to get. What kind of overclock did you get with the barton and the gfx card?

yeaht thats right, 1/2 are too noisy, and I used a p4, not a barton,
well I got the radeon 9500 to 500/310, but for some reason the remory volt mod didn't work:(
I got the p4 to [email protected] not happy with that either

well I have concluded you the parts must overclock good stock in order to overclock good with extreme cooling:rolleyes:

tgp said:
:eek:

dude those are wicked temps for being a dual evap, especially your first try. would have thought you may, and thats a definate may, hit -15c on each one.

these temps are Celcius right?

yeah they are celcius, did to improve it some more it was using propane, I want -30c load with the dual, r-22 should help out:D

what were you getting for one evap on the same compressor? what ive seen a dual evap almost cuts the single evap temp in half.
are you having any problems with your flex hoses getting brittle?
where do you get your temp meters from? those are nice. never seen a small non-scientific one go that low!

sweet dude, sweet.

to get better resalts from that set up u could take the liquid line and rap it around the suction line to supper cool it this would further cool the high pressure liquid after the condenser coil and heat the suction a little. Since your are in a vac u wont have this problem but it would also help to make sure there is no liquid coming to your compressor

Back