• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Phenom II x4 960t unlocked, now no Core temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MBH

hello,

i got a new core yesterday, and saw its possible to unlock hidden cores, i did that and now i can't view with any program the temperature of the core, this kinda scares me and want to ask if someone has an idea how to fix it...

CPU: phenom II x4 960t
board: ASRock N68-S UCC
bios: 1.60
ram: 8gb

here a CPU-Z and a Core Temp screen:

if this problem already was asked here, then im sorry, i didn't found it

Last edited:
Yes this is common when unlocking cores the sensors no longer report correctly. AMD Overdrive will report 127C when unlocked IIRC.

Go back to quad core and run HW monitor and monitor the temps in it at a given clock and duration. Then unlock cores and run hwmonitor again. One of the other temps will be the CPU socket temp. You can take the socket temp vs the core temp in hwmontor as a quad and use that to determine what temps are as a hexacore.

What exactly do you mean with set back to quad, do you mean the setting at the MSconfig ? because im a real scrub in core unlocking/over clocking.
At the bios i just enabled the UCC feature and at the MSconfig i toke the hock at the processor count away

Unlocking is done in the BIOS. You have to undo the change in the BIOS to set it back to a quad core CPU

Asrock call it UCC (Unlock CPU core)

ah ok, and after i did this, i start the CPU-HW monitor onece, and then i activate the UCC function again and run the CPU-HW again then i see the temp.

did i understand that right ? (sorry, if its annoying)

when unlocked you never get to see core temp. However HWMonitor will read socket temp.

so as a quad run hwmonitor and run your load tests. One of the TMPIN temperatures willbe socket temp. With good airflow in the case it will usually be a fwe degrees cooler than your CPU core temps. This is why you need to do it as a quad first.

Once you know which one is the socket temp AND how far it is off of Core temps. Then you can unlock as a hexa, and use hwmonitor to "guesstimate" Core temp. Simply run it again and use the Socket temp and add the difference that you noticed earlier.

Little complicated I know, but every setup is different so there is no universal "Add XX degrees to figure out core temp" once unlocked.

Cores locked. Run at least 20 mins of Prime95 with HWMonitor opened in the background logging temps.
After 20 mins of Prime95 stop the test and look at the CPU Temp and the Core temp. How much higher is CPU Temp than the core temps?? 8c? 10c Cpu temp higher than core temp? Okay remember that difference.

Unlock cores and CORE temps disappears OR will show crap for a temp. Instead look at the CPU Temp and add or subtract the difference you found in running the locked test and there is your closely approximated core temp by lookiing at cpu temp and applying your previous reference temp offset.

EDIT ADDED:

The thead title says it all.

Offsettting Socket temp to get Core temp.

when unlocked you never get to see core temp. However HWMonitor will read socket temp.

so as a quad run hwmonitor and run your load tests. One of the TMPIN temperatures willbe socket temp. With good airflow in the case it will usually be a fwe degrees cooler than your CPU core temps. This is why you need to do it as a quad first.

Once you know which one is the socket temp AND how far it is off of Core temps. Then you can unlock as a hexa, and use hwmonitor to "guesstimate" Core temp. Simply run it again and use the Socket temp and add the difference that you noticed earlier.

Little complicated I know, but every setup is different so there is no universal "Add XX degrees to figure out core temp" once unlocked.

i did what you said, and deactivated the UCC for once and set it to a quad, and yes, now i can view the temp, runs pretty "cool" thanks to the SCYTHE Mugen 3, hehe :
uxAbj7Tn8q.PNG

but i guess i made a small mistake, i also disabled the at the "active core control" the 4th and 5th core, because i thought its needed too to switch it back from hexa to quad, and now i cant find them anymore at the bios... i guess i made a horrible mistake :(...
so is there anyway to make them visible for the activation again at the bios ?

The theory is that a good CmOs clear is what you do to return bios settings back to stock/default.

i tried that, didn't helped, still shown as quad core and just 4 cores to control

ah ok, and after i did this, i start the CPU-HW monitor onece, and then i activate the UCC function again and run the CPU-HW again then i see the temp.

did i understand that right ? (sorry, if its annoying)

That was what you told "Neuromancer" you were going to do. What in the world more did you do? Most of us do not have that board and never will. We don't get to see every imaginable choice you might see in the bios. So we try to give the general choices. If one chooses other settings, then we don't have a clue what maybe the results.

You needed to basline the CoreTemp to CPU Temp relationship in 4 core locked mode to have any clue of the Core Temp when in unlocked mode. You should have simply RE-locked the cores by disabling UCC. What other choices were there for you to mess with? We don't have the board so we cannot see in your bios. You would have to accurately describe what choices you made in the order made most likely to try and dig out from whatever you fell off in.

sorry, what i mean/did is:
blue: is what i disabled
red: is shown core0 - core3 enabled , but there was core5 and core6 before i disabled the UCC (and i disabled core 4 and 5 too) and after reactivating UCC, the core4 and core5 wont shown up anymore

s9gPy4H6q6.JPG

I disabled the UCC (and i disabled core 4 and 5 too) = It is that last part in parenthesis that was n0t at all necessary. A simple UCC disable is quite sufficient. Disabling the individual cores and then RE-locking seems now in retrospect a not so good choice. Having never seen one do this and wind-up where you are...the what to do now is a problem.

I can only tell you what I would be doing if I got hung out to dry where you are. And believe me I have at times put myself dangling off a cliff holding on to a tree root.

1. > The number one, most firstest thing I would do is turn off the computer and un-plug the power supply from the wall outlet.

2. > I would then remove the battery from the motherboard and IF there is a CmOs jumper I would set it to the Clear CmOs position. I would walk off for at least an hour. NOTE: there are some boards now that have a clear CmOs push button and of course that you cannot hold depressed for an hour, so removing the battery will have to suffice. Over the course of that hour or so wait time, I would maybe press a Clear CmOs button a time or two, but I understand a button is different than a CmOs jumper.

3. > Now an hourish has gone by and I would put the battery back in its' holder and if the board has a CmOs "jumper" I would reposition it to the GO, run, boot whatever position. REapply power to the power supply by plugging it back into the wall outlet or whatever it gets its' power from.

4. > Now try to boot into the bios and there is a setting/menu that says along these lines > Load optimized Defaults or Load Setup defaults or similar. Choose that and save and exit the bios.

5. > REboot into the bios and again Enable ASRock UCC; save and exit the bios and then again REboot into the bios and see if you can Enable CPU Active Core Control again and see if now you have the 0-5 cores available again.

IF the above does not work...then you really have got some work ahead of you, I am afraid, beause we would be surely digging in the dark.

Just enable in BIOS

F10 - yes
restart go into BIOS and look to see if the 4/5 core shows up.

Power off completely (use the power button wait for fans to stop spinning) and power back up go back into BIOS and see if it is there.

Sometimes BIOS just needs a restart to notice the changes especially with memory multis/timings (It has bee na long time since I played with core unlocking) I found certain boards just need to be powered down after saving BIOS to "get it"

Also you did not post a screen of HWMonitor. Coretemp wont work you must use HWmonitor. Download here

IF that simple restart method does not work then pull the battery and unplug and all that stuff rgone suggested.

Last edited:
thanks RGone, your method worked, i have the 2 cores now back again :)

and Neuromancer, i dont know why, but the HWmonitore from CPUID doesn't seems to like my pc, it needs a long time to start, and then it freezed my pc for 2 min but ok:

xMQdAEHK5F.PNG

but the HWmonitore from CPUID doesn't seems to like my pc = likely chipset driver problem of some sort.

Glad you got it going like you wanted the core control.

yeah, big thanks to you too Neuromancer and RGone for your big help :)

i guess this thread can be closed now.

@ "MBH" great man that you have it about where you want it. They don't really close threads. I wonder often why not but they don't. You started the thread so you can go back to your first post and in the Title area, put SOLVED. At the head of the Title. That way when someone comes along that understands a forum they can search by Title and Solved and find threads with actual fixes and not just a bunch of posts.

Thanks to you man and good luck onward. RGone...ster.

Back