• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 High Temperatures on Stock Clock Speeds (AMD FX-8320)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bishey3

Registered
My pc is 6 months old. Decided to overclock the cpu. Before overclocking I wanted to see how well would it fare against prime95 at stock clock speeds. I think something must be wrong with the build because temperatures were too high.

Relevant Specs:

CPU : Amd FX-8320 (3,7 GHz by default)
MOBO : MSI 970A-G46 (Bios version v2.2, February 4th 2013)
COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (Single Fan)
CASE : Corsair 300R with stock fans (1 front intake, 1 behind exhaust)

Before starting the test I went ahead and disabled some of the eco friendly and smart features from the Bios in order to prevent the cpu from down clocking itself and also lowering the voltage. But everything else is at default.

75ae672d_Prime95Test2.png

After 13 mins of Blend tests on prime95 these were the results I observed. I didn't wanted to go further because of the values TMPIN1 reached. So what can cause this problem? And what exactly is TMPIN1? Is it the socket itself or the north bridge or something else? Any help would be appreciated.

Temps look perfectly fine except TMPIN1. Try pointing a fan at the VRM and/or the back of the socket on your motherboard.

Edit: That MSI might not be up to the task of the 83xx chips, just a fore-warning.

The reason for the temperature is purely because of the excessive vid that has been set for the chip. For example I am willing to bet at 3.7 you'd only need 1.23-1.25v for cpu voltage. 1.404 generally is needed around 4.5-4.6 ghz.

Im not 100% certain on the tmp figures for your board, package temps look very good though at 40c.Tmp0 looks to be cpu socket, tmpin1possibly vrm, tmp2 motherboard

That temp does look a little high. I'd be more comfortable with max temps in the mid 80s on that one. I'm not sure exactly where that temp sensor is on the board but I'm guess it reflects a weak VRM component. ATMINSIDE's advice about the fan is good. It might be even better to position a fan, to blow on the front side of the board in the area between the socket and the I/O ports where there are a bunch of capacitors and mosfets. MSI is not the board of choice around here for the FX CPUs.

Those are good temps. edit... for a stock cooler.

Could try a fan mod to the H212, push pull fans maybe. Might help temps with an overclock.

That temp does look a little high. I'd be more comfortable with max temps in the mid 80s on that one. I'm not sure exactly where that temp sensor is on the board but I'm guess it reflects a weak VRM component. ATMINSIDE's advice about the fan is good. It might be even better to position a fan, to blow on the front side of the board in the area between the socket and the I/O ports where there are a bunch of capacitors and mosfets. MSI is not the board of choice around here for the FX CPUs.

Trents, its a 4+1 VRM on this board. I doubt it'll be up to the task of OCing, maybe not even up to the task of running stock.

Trents, its a 4+1 VRM on this board. I doubt it'll be up to the task of OCing, maybe not even up to the task of running stock.

Huh? If I'm not mistaken, he's already got a running cpu in that board. Don't knock it, let's see what he/board/cpu can do!

A fan on the VRM area would be a great suggestion no less....

It'll take a stovk fx8, just you need to undervolt the excessice voltage that amd can set the vid at.
3.7ghz on all.8 cores will not need over 1.4v. As long as he has a heatsink on the vrms and maybe a 50mm fan over that vrm area. A reduction in voltage, I predict 1.25v for 3.7 ghz.Topping at around 1.35v for 4.3-4.4 ghz. With still lower vrm temps than what hes seeing now.

Edit on top of that p95 load temps and voltage whilst prove stability aren't reflective of real gaming, workloads of which will temps tend to be lower. The exception is handbrake encoding which is just as heavy on a cpu as p95

Last edited:
TMpin from what I've read is the VRM temperature, as suggested try putting a fan on the VRM heatsink and see if the temp goes down. I would also consider getting additional fans for the case, such as 1 more 120mm for the front as an intake and 2 more 120mm's for the top as an exhaust.

Hey isn't it funny how that 8 core hasn't got the VRMs over 100c yet! Impressive. He does have half way decent air flow now, the additional fans would probably finish the job nicely!

96c is not to worry about. Start seeing 125c and beyond, better do something!

Thanks for all the replies. Yes motherboard isn't exactly the high quality. But I've been using it for months now also did some overclocking to 4ghz from OverDrive while gaming. Anyways only fan i have is the stock amd fan. I'll try to use it. In the mean time where am I supposte to blow the air towards.

QTwxyY7.jpg

1 or 2?

Been there before...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733680&highlight=MSI+970A-G46
MSI 970A-G46 MOSFET/VRM HEAT ISSUES
This situation has already been pretty much banged around and this not so stellar MSI board in this thread is only having to handle a Thuban processor and not the heat monster of an 8 core FX processor.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730150&highlight=MSI+970A-G46
MSI 970A-G46 Temp Issues
See his post #5.

One last bit of FYI, go over to the MSI forums and you will likely find the same thing I did. There seems no MSI user recommending the G43, G45 or G46 board for 6 and 8 core FX processors. They suggest either the G65 or G80 to handle the rigors of the more cored FX heat monsters.
RGone...

Should blow toward 1.

I would get some fans in the top to exhaust heat for sure.

I would pick up a couple of 50 mm fans and mount then blowing on the heatsink of #1 and see if it helps.

I'll be sure to buy some fans for the case. When I bought the computer I was pretty clueless about computers. Thats why I cheaped out a little on the mother board. Not much I can do about it now but next time I won't make the same rookie mistakes. Well thanks for all the help again. I'll post some updated values when I can setup something like you guys suggested.

When I bought the computer I was pretty clueless about computers. Thats why I cheaped out a little on the mother board. Not much I can do about it now but next time I won't make the same rookie mistakes.

We all do it once, I know I did. Then you find OCF and never look back :thup:

I just ordered 2 140mm Akasa Viper fans for the top, 1 120mm Akasa Classic for the front intake and 2 40 mm fans for the Vrm. Also ordered 2 molex to 4*3 pin connectors. They probably aren't highest quality parts but they were available and fairly cheap where I live so they should do the job.

On a side note I'm not sure how I am going to mount those 40 mm fans to the VRM heatsink. They don't have a flat surface. Should I use tape or something sticky like patafix. I'm not sure how would they fare against components working around 100 degree. Any suggestions?

Is that rear fan blowing inwards out of curiousity?

If it is I'd reverse it and make it and exhaust fan myself, and reorient your CPU cooler vertically myself and stick another fan on it.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Back