• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 High Temperatures on Stock Clock Speeds (AMD FX-8320)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just finished installing the new fans. However I did not installed the 2 40mm fans on the VRM just to see how other fans would improve the cooling. Results were massively improved. 30 degree lower temperatures on the VRM heat sensor. OMG I really did not expect this much difference :shock:

Attachments

• Prime95 Test 4 with new fans.png
    Prime95 Test 4 with new fans.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 108
that's more like it !! Ok now lets see what you can scale to with the cpu before it needs it's next voltage increase. I think you should be able to get upto 4.3 with that v-core.
But next step try 4.0ghz and slowly increase in 100mhz steps.

to note whilst testing you can disable all the power save features, then when you've found the clock speed where you want to be then you can turn them back on.
with it downclocking and the voltage decresing you'll save the vrms, and the cpu from having to hold excessive voltage in an idle state.

Well one of the workers in prime95 said hardware failure detected after 10mins. I was running it at 1.36V and 4.0 GHz. Should I downclock the cpu or up the voltage?

to note whilst testing you can disable all the power save features, then when you've found the clock speed where you want to be then you can turn them back on.
with it downclocking and the voltage decresing you'll save the vrms, and the cpu from having to hold excessive voltage in an idle state.

Should note this only works when using offset voltages in bios, not manual. So if this is your goal and voltage is needed start with using an offset, just be easier in the end.

Well one of the workers in prime95 said hardware failure detected after 10mins. I was running it at 1.36V and 4.0 GHz. Should I downclock the cpu or up the voltage?

If you're temps are in check then add voltage, a lost worker usually means you're close to stable.

1.384V with 4.0 GHz seems to be stable. I'll up the clock by 100mhz at each step until it fails again. Though I wonder Is there a difference between increasing the multiplier or the cpu base clock?

P.S: Those CPU package max min numbers are false. I never saw it go past 30 degrees at any point.

Attachments

• Prime95 Test 5.png
    Prime95 Test 5.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 87
The funny readings might have something to do With the MSI board?? Either way there's a bit of a difference between upping the multiplier or upping the base clock. When using the multi all you need to concern yourself with is voltage and stability. When upping the base clock( HT reference) This will increase the ram/HT/NB and CPU frequency so any one of those can cause instability. Most of us here use some type of HT ref overclock but adjust to compensate. All the other frequencies use a multiplier as well that runs off the base clock. So by upping the base clock (depending on multi I'm using 12x for example) Right now you're using 20x200 for CPU so everytime you up the base clock by 1 you raise the CPU by 20 and the HT and NB by 12. So as an illustration your new CPU speed would be 4020 and your HT would go to 2412, same as NB and ram all will increase.

P.S: Those CPU package max min numbers are false. I never saw it go past 30 degrees at any point.
Yeah it probably wouldn't be working so well if it went to 255c :D
Though I wonder Is there a difference between increasing the multiplier or the cpu base clock?
We recommend both, you can usually find a better overclock by applying an OC with both. That said finding your max oc with the multi is a bit easier and then tweaking it with the FSB. The FSB changes the Cpu MHZ, Ht Link, NB Freq and Ram speed. So it takes a bit more playing around to find the right settings.

After 2 hours I finally stabilized at 4.1. Voltage is 1.43 which was pretty wierd. Just to go from 4 to 4.1 it required 0.5V increase in voltage. Now going start trying on 4.2. Hopefully it will be easier to stabilize. So far I am only changing the multiplier and the voltage because I don't really want to deal with ram and all the other stuff.

Attachments

• Prime95 Test 6.png
    Prime95 Test 6.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 73
Looks good so far the added voltage is pretty normal with the FX we know it's going to need it just every chip is different as to the when they need it.

The reason your overclock needs so much voltage is probably because you have low end VRM.
You are really pushing your power delivery hard with 4.1Ghz and 1.4V.
You should invest in better motherboard with at least 6+2 phase design if you want to squeeze more out of your cpu.

1.46V and 4.2 is still not stabile. Maybe I should just use it at 4 GHz where voltages and temperatures are nice and low. Well I'll go up to 1,5V until 4.2 stabilizes and if it doesn't then I'll simply give up on 4.2.

Like waza said your board isn't built for that. Stay at the 4.0 or lower. MSI G46 has a high failure rate and really you're just pushing your luck.

Officially gave up on 4.2. At 1.48V one worker failed after 10 mins and the VRM temperatures were once again around 85 degrees. So I was wondering what would happen if I use it on a voltage that is unstable according to prime95? Because heaviest thing I am going to do on it will be gaming. So maybe I can use it on 4.1 GHz and a lower voltage than 1.43?

Officially gave up on 4.2. At 1.48V one worker failed after 10 mins and the VRM temperatures were once again around 85 degrees. So I was wondering what would happen if I use it on a voltage that is unstable according to prime95? Because heaviest thing I am going to do on it will be gaming. So maybe I can use it on 4.1 GHz and a lower voltage than 1.43?

See my last post. I wouldn't push that board for fear of losing more parts when it fianlly gives up!!!

1.46V and 4.2 is still not stabile. Maybe I should just use it at 4 GHz where voltages and temperatures are nice and low. Well I'll go up to 1,5V until 4.2 stabilizes and if it doesn't then I'll simply give up on 4.2.

You will end up frying your VRM in the long run if you try to use those voltages and speed for 24/7 use. If your use is light, some lightly threaded games and such you could do ok but I can't recommend going over 4Ghz.
EDIT: One thing you could do if you really have to get faster speed is to disable 4 of your cores if your bios supports it.

Just keep it at 4.0, that board will be running hard enough to keep up with that.

Alright I'll use it on 4 GHz. I was wondering which smart features I should turn back on. I closed a lot of them based on suggestions from other threads and forums. CnQ, c1e, c6, amd turbo core technology are just some of the things I remember. So which ones I should turn back on?

Alright I'll use it on 4 GHz. I was wondering which smart features I should turn back on. I closed a lot of them based on suggestions from other threads and forums. CnQ, c1e, c6, amd turbo core technology are just some of the things I remember. So which ones I should turn back on?

Re-enable everything you can. except turbocore.

Back