• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bftw

Registered
Can someone help me understand if the below RAM is compatible with the MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard?

HyperX HX421C14FB2/8 FURY DDR4 8 GB RAM 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 DIMM, Black

Is it on their compatibility list? You can find this on the motherboard's webpage.

That said, its so slow (2133) id imagine it woumd work anyway.

Is it on their compatibility list? You can find this on the motherboard's webpage.

That said, its so slow (2133) id imagine it woumd work anyway.

I heard ram speed does not make much of a difference in regard to virtual machines so im not sure the low speeed matters

In some games there is a couple percent gains (from 2133 to a middling 3400 or so. Some crunching uses a lot of memory bandwidth as well. In the end not many things when using intel. More gains w8th amd ryzen.

You almost always benefit from faster ram with Ryzen 3200-3400. I can't speak for VMs since I have no experience but the fabric speed that ties the CCX together is dependant on your ram speed at a 1:1 ratio

Faster RAM on Ryzen helps like higher CPU frequency, in everything ... just how much it helps depends on many factors. Now you made me wonder about the VM but I won't have time to test it anytime soon.

Btw. all new HyperX Fury are designed for Ryzen and Intel at the same time. Lower kits have SPD=XMP close to JEDEC specs so should run on everything.

Faster ram does wonders when compressing files!

This is true and one of the few real world applications that fast RAM benefits very much, at least on the Intel side.

On the AMD Rysen platform people are saying fast RAM is of more benefit generally but I haven't had opportunity to verify that personally. However, I trust those who are saying it in this thread as they have more experience with Ryzen than I have.

This pic is a good example, you see that red line that connects one CCX to the other. That is the Infinity Fabric and it runs 1:1 with ram speed. So speeding up the ram increases the interconnect speed as well which in turn helps the performance.

Ryzen IF.png

Back