• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuilding the Mega-O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Well I couldn't wait any longer as I've waited long enough for an upgrade. Waiting for the X99 to drop is out of the question, as it will be wayy too expensive for me on my budget.

Got a buyer for my current board, chip, vid card and H80, but remaining parts ie: SSD's, psu, ram, optical drives and the watercooling setup will be reused.

What I have coming is the ASrock Extreme 6 and a 4790K :clap: I'm so looking forward to a new rig.

The video card, however, will have to wait till I get more funds. So I'll have to use either the onboard vid or a relic AMD X1800XT (512mb) card I have as a back-up to hold me over.

I'm sure I'll be able to achieve 4.5-4.8Ghz, but imma try for the magic 5.0Ghz ;)

So do any of you think that's possible, or are my expectations out of reach?

Nice Neb! Might take a delid, but you should hit 4.6-4.7 pretty easily with an average chip using your loop :)

Thanks guyz. Joe, Atmin, I appreciated all your inputs, and with your help, hopefully made the right choice.

Don't get me wrong, the X99 seemed like a viable option, but given the budget I have to work with, was just not in the cards for me.

Should be a nice one for you, especially coming from an i5 that topped out pretty early :)

From he looks of things they're alot like the 4770K and it's a good little chip. On my loop I run it most of the time at 4.5 with 1.32v, it climbs pretty quickly after that. 4.7 is at 1.4v and will bench at 5.0. Like E_D says it really depends on the CPU you come up with. They tend to be all over the map really.

Yeah, looking forward to it! You know judging by your sig Atmin, I'm gonna be pestering you for tweaks ;):rofl:

Yeah, looking forward to it! You know judging by your sig Atmin, I'm gonna be pestering you for tweaks ;):rofl:

Bring it on! I don't run my 4770K on a 24/7 basis, but I have a pretty solid 4.8GHz @ 1.42V for benching ;)
You'll love this UEFI though, super easy to use.

when you see the heat of these things you'll want asbestos gloves.
the 4790k is a gawd aweful good cpu when you get a good one but the number of duds kind of puts me off, it's not like amd with fx where you can count on getting it over 5.0.

mine wil run 4.8 stable and bench 4.9 hitting on all 8 and i have seen very few better, so cross the fingers and squint those eyes!!!

Got sum teaser pics. My friend Blackstar managed to score these @ MC for me and managed to save me about $60 over the egg :clap: I'll be getting these in a few days, woohoo!:thup:

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 69
I have no clue about that deal as I could care less about it. I'll never use it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that chip is a good clocker!

Back