• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Request for Help 4.6 on FX8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To the OP, FWIW, I also uninstalled AI suite due to false reporting. I'd get dips on my vcore and 12v rail that would have blue screened instantly if it were accurate. It was just annoying, and until I knew better, caused unnecessary concern.

*Edit* I did keep fan xpert on there though.

Didn't see that! Latest CPUZ shows it properly. Am using 4.5 @ 1.368v for my 24/7 overclock.

Attachments

• updcpuz.png
    updcpuz.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 190
Big drop in vcore from 4.6 to 4.5.

Tell me about it! I did make sure that was the absolute lowest vcore that would support 2 hours Prime95 Blend at 4.5ghz.

1.4125v is the absolute min it will pass a 2 hour P95 blend test on at 4.6. Lost time of the number of runs I made!

I can run it at 4.6 off a vcore of 1.375 and it will play Battlefield 4 and does not misbehave. It will even pass prime 95 small FFT all day long and OCCT (only the OCCT -not the included Linpack test - access denied for some reason!) but as soon as I tried the 2 hour P95 blend test it dropped a core after about 45 minutes.

It is a brand new chip and cost me a few quid so I am going easy on it for now. I can't really go higher than 4.62 anyway due to temps.

How did you get yours going off stock?

Not sure what it was yesterday when I was doing the tests at 4.62 but I had the windows open and it was cold - neighbours must have thought I am nuts - I could see hwmon temps drop as soon as I did! It was 7 degrees yesterday so I reckon about 10-12 ambient during test but guesswork as no thermometer...

Not sure what it was yesterday when I was doing the tests at 4.62 but I had the windows open and it was cold - neighbours must have thought I am nuts - I could see hwmon temps drop as soon as I did! It was 7 degrees yesterday so I reckon about 10-12 ambient during test but guesswork as no thermometer...
Hi, I was just wondering because I just put a 8350 into my Evo board on Monday & am starting to take it up. The problem I have is the room temps down here where I live are around 70 - 75 F. & if I open the glass door near the computer I might get it down in the 50s this week. So I'm having to watch the temps. real close.
Dan

Yeah, I was getting twitchy around 55 core as I know they can shoot up all of a sudden. Even with the windows open on a cold evening I was getting around 53 degrees at 4.6. Sitting there with a finger on the stop button staring at the temps going up and up..!

It seemed to peak out on the 800,000 iterations and the 460,000 ones - thats when mine ran hottest. If it holds those OK then odds are you can relax a bit as it should hold the rest.

One trick I read somewhere was a guy who pointed a big house fan at it to help lower temps! It helped apparently.

It must be 18-20 ambient in here atm. I can game on it at 4.6 with the heating on no problem, which is what I was really after, and it barely gets over 45 even with the GTX belting out heat.

BTW, does anybody cool their vrms? Does it help? Is there a clever way with a small fan or something? Mine are tucked in a corner and missing out a bit.

Good luck.

Hi, I was just wondering because I just put a 8350 into my Evo board on Monday & am starting to take it up. The problem I have is the room temps down here where I live are around 70 - 75 F. & if I open the glass door near the computer I might get it down in the 50s this week. So I'm having to watch the temps. real close.
Dan

That's one of the asvantages of the great white north. We're coming out of a deep freeze.

BTW, does anybody cool their vrms? Does it help? Is there a clever way with a small fan or something? Mine are tucked in a corner and missing out a bit.

Good luck.

Oh ya we recommend that all the time and a fan behind the mobo right on the socket if it's possible.

That's one of the asvantages of the great white north. We're coming out of a deep freeze.
Looks like I won't be doing too much today, it's 68F this morning & going to climb. You guys tried to send some cold air my way the beginning of the week but it only got into the 30s. But I'll take it.

Oh ya we recommend that all the time and a fan behind the mobo right on the socket if it's possible.
When I had the 4170 in here the difference between the package & socket was usually less than 10 but now that the 8350 is in there the difference is around 15 - 18. I guess I'll think about installing a small fan in the back. I figure that's because more cores heating the socket up more.
Dan

Dan

I miss Florida.

Although I do like the cold for benching I hate shoveling snow.

The Florida heat is the reason why when I build my mom's computer she has an H-100i on the FX6300. :)

This is what I did papa, when I first started the FX journey I had an M5A99FX and it just couldn't handle the power draw, this fan dropped the temps a lot.

Capturefan.PNG

I miss Florida.

Although I do like the cold for benching I hate shoveling snow.

The Florida heat is the reason why when I build my mom's computer she has an H-100i on the FX6300. :)
Yes the shoveling snow is no fun, I lived in the Midwest for 12 yrs. & don't miss the shoveling at all. I just don't get enough cold days in a yr. down here to OC. I'm going to start building up a new rig to put the 8350 in. I'm going to do it right with a custom loop so it will take awhile to select the right parts. No hurry.

This is what I did papa, when I first started the FX journey I had an M5A99FX and it just couldn't handle the power draw, this fan dropped the temps a lot.

View attachment 137478
Looks good Johan, that's going to be my first mod. I just have to see where I'm going to pull power from.

EDIT - Well I have a fan like the one you have Johan. I stuck it on & it has less than 1/8" between it & the side panel. I don't think it will draw very much air in.

Last edited:
Back