• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Request for Help 4.6 on FX8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From memory, about 4.3ghz with changes to llc ultra, nb to high, current to 130%, turned off all power saving etc. I am pretty new to this so probably did things wrong (like not testing blend until after I thought I had it!) Auto level up got to 4.3 and tweaking the llc, current etc made it stable.

From memory, about 4.3ghz with changes to llc ultra, nb to high, current to 130%, turned off all power saving etc. I am pretty new to this so probably did things wrong (like not testing blend until after I thought I had it!) Auto level up got to 4.3 and tweaking the llc, current etc made it stable.
Hi, yes that sounds about right for me to. I'm at 4.4 now & it is up one tick to 1.344v.
Are you setting your Vcore manually or using the offset option? I'm using offset & letting bios change it. I like to use cool & quiet so my Vcore & freq. throttle back when not needed.

Hi papadan, Good stuff - sounds like you may have a bit more headroom than me if you are 4.4ghz and such a low vcore.

The way I did it was probably wrong as I am pretty new to this! I left vcore on auto at first and watched where it peaked during the p95 test before failing and wrote it down. Then I went back and input that voltage manually into the bios and tried again. Here are my vcores so far:

CPU VID: 1.325v (per Coretemp)

vcore at straight 4ghz, no turbo, no cnc, all green stuff disabled not p95 tested: 1.308v

min vcore to get fully p95 stable at 4.5ghz; 1.368v (4.6% increase from last, 4.6% cumulative)

vcore to get stable P95 (small fft only) at 4.6ghz: 1.375v (0.5% increase from last, 5.1% cumulative)

min vcore to get fully stable P95 Blend 2 hours at 4.6ghz: 1.4125v (2.7% increase from last, 8% cumulative)

Hope that helps you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi papadan, Good stuff - sounds like you may have a bit more headroom than me if you are 4.4ghz and such a low vcore.

The way I did it was probably wrong as I am pretty new to this! I left vcore on auto at first and watched where it peaked during the p95 test before failing and wrote it down. Then I went back and input that voltage manually into the bios and tried again. Here are my vcores so far:

CPU VID: 1.325v (per Coretemp)

vcore at straight 4ghz, no turbo, no cnc, all green stuff disabled not p95 tested: 1.308v

min vcore to get fully p95 stable at 4.5ghz; 1.368v (4.6% increase from last, 4.6% cumulative)

vcore to get stable P95 (small fft only) at 4.6ghz: 1.375v (0.5% increase from last, 5.1% cumulative)

min vcore to get fully stable P95 Blend 2 hours at 4.6ghz: 1.4125v (2.7% increase from last, 8% cumulative)

Hope that helps you out. Good luck.
Yes it is doing real good considering the temps. down here. my Vcore does jump between 1.344 & 1.356 but mostly on 1.344. Yours is doing great, keep up the good work.

Hi All, Must be getting the bug - just ordered a Sabretooth! Clicked the 'buy' button - too late to not pay for it now! Yay!

Hi All, Must be getting the bug - just ordered a Sabretooth! Clicked the 'buy' button - too late to not pay for it now! Yay!

It's a slippery downhill slope into the OC arena, once you start it's hard to stop. :thup:

It's a slippery downhill slope into the OC arena, once you start it's hard to stop. :thup:
Crack here we're sellin crack! It's addictive two, be careful! :) Pretty soon you'll have closets full of Cpu's, mobo's, Psu's etc....

Well, she is up and running with the Sabretooth now so will post some tests soon. Easier than I expected to chage the mobo. Didn't even have to re-install Windows! Sysprep worked a dream and Linux Mint didn't even blink :D

This is what I did papa, when I first started the FX journey I had an M5A99FX and it just couldn't handle the power draw, this fan dropped the temps a lot.

View attachment 137478

Hi Johan45,

Copying your idea. Found this old el-cheapo 40mm fan in my box of bits. Perfect size I think but having a job figuring how to mount it.

May I ask what you used to attach yours to the backplate? Was it tape? Just a bit worried in case it melts all over the back of the socket when it gets hot?:shock:

Attachments

• socketfan.jpg
    socketfan.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Mandrake4565, Will try that. Smacking my head against a brick wall this evening :bang head Put the exact same settings as I had on the Evo for 4.5ghz fully stable into the Sabretooth, as a quick test/starting point and it fails for same vcore repeatedly after 45 minutes:bang head Temps seem a tad better though. Guess I need to read up a bit more on the new board, didn't think they were that different but not making a lot of sense to me right now. Guess I must be being a bit :screwy: Night All!

Different components oc differently. Maybe post the bios you're using and Johan will comment tomorrow.

If you use double-sided tape (it works well by the way) remove the fan label first. The glue on the label lets go after awhile.

Thanks for the tips guys. The socket fan is helping the temps A LOT. Keeping the socket temp in lockstep with cores to within 4-5 degrees:thup: Going to have a surf around and see what bios settings other are using on Sabretooth and 8350 overclock.

Ya it was double sided tape twocents, and for the Sabertooth and win& I swear by Bios ver 803, I'll have to check the chipset driver version but it was the new ones last spring just under 1G for download size. 9 something rings a bell

EDIT just checked and the chipset version was 901

Last edited:
Thanks Johan45, I am currently on latest bios 2104 - so I'll reflash it to 803 for this Win7 machine and see if that helps. As for the chipset, I downloaded what I think is 901 from Asus site and when I install it it tells me it is up to date.

Thought I'd nailed problem down to bad ram timings but still no good. One hour in and drops a core - normally at the 460kstage. I swear if I see one more 'Lucus Lehmer Iteration' tonight ... :temper: lol.

I have been through the Bulldozer and Piledriver overclocking guides on t'internet and can't see anything wrong. Guess I'll just have to keep upping the vcore higher than it was on the Evo.

The socket fan is a great idea btw. It is 20 ambient in here, the tape is holding great and socket not even getting to 50.

Attachments

• chipset.png
    chipset.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 132
  • socketfan.png
    socketfan.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 132
Thought I'd nailed problem down to bad ram timings but still no good. One hour in and drops a core - normally at the 460kstage. I swear if I see one more 'Lucus Lehmer Iteration' tonight ... lol.
When you're dropping a core, you are usually close in voltage to where you need to be.

I do know that people here were having issue with that new bios, problem is when you flash to the older one you'll lose any thing you have saved for OC profiles. Yes that is the 9.01 driver version.

Thanks Johan45, tried 803 and same thing - sticking with it though and upping the vcore...

There's one thing that just came to mind. When I swapped from the 990Pro to the Sabo, I did notice that the LLC didn't behave quite the same. If I remember correctly the Pro gave more volts at the same setting. I think. It's been a while since then.

Back