• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rosie RAC Harvest - Status/DiscussionThread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GPU folding isn't that old, (I remember, back in the day, if you wanted folding to use 2 cpu's, you ran 2 instances)

From what I understand, (iirc, from when I started Rosie) the code is long and complicated, that's why there are no optimizations. I would assume that's why there isn't a GPU client yet.

Baditude, I wasn't crunching for the prizes (Rosie has got all my cpu power anyway, lol) As it is, it took a friendly nudging PM for me to sign up for the contest. However your trusty x58 did raise my eyebrows.

My old DP Opty was fired back up last week. As long as it doesn't eat another hard drive, it'll crunch. (last IDE drive I own, and it's only 10gb. lol)

GPU folding isn't that old, (I remember, back in the day, if you wanted folding to use 2 cpu's, you ran 2 instances)

From what I understand, (iirc, from when I started Rosie) the code is long and complicated, that's why there are no optimizations. I would assume that's why there isn't a GPU client yet.

Baditude, I wasn't crunching for the prizes (Rosie has got all my cpu power anyway, lol) As it is, it took a friendly nudging PM for me to sign up for the contest. However your trusty x58 did raise my eyebrows.

My old DP Opty was fired back up last week. As long as it doesn't eat another hard drive, it'll crunch. (last IDE drive I own, and it's only 10gb. lol)

You could try a diskless run of linux. ;)

DONUTS!

Looks who came to visit. Hardly ever see you anymore my friend.

You could try a diskless run of linux. ;)

Or I could finally put the old girl out to pasture. :D
It's been crunching DC projects since I bought it used, like 6 yrs. ago. At the time the P4 was Intel's top dog, the board doesn't even support dual core procs.

It wouldn't eat drives if I wasn't so cheap and wanted to invest in new ram for it.

Baditude- the weather is cooling off, time to quit tinkering on the old truck, and hang out here more.:cool:

I wonder, why does it then check for GPUs on start up and have that option "Use GPU while computer is in use". A typo, and just a generic host hardware check?
Ah well, if it can't use it, then that solves my problem, seems a bit of waste though.
*Edit: I did a search on the subject, also found another forum with a penguin in it. :)
Fairly interesting read.
Also, with only 42 entries so far, assuming not many more people are going to sign-up, and 8 prizes, the odds aren't as bad as I thought as long as everyone wasn't like Pixie racking up the entries with monstrous crunching power. :p

Last edited:
If that old system eats that IDE hard drive, give me a PM, donuts. I probably can help a fellow BOINCer out. ;):comp:

Thanks for the offer:thup: (thanks also for a couple of other offers I've had from other members) The only reason this rig is still running is I did have 1 last IDE drive. I even had to wipe Win98 of of it. lol

Eventually it will finally get retired (permanently), but if the team could use the points...:salute:

For instance, the last BIOS for this board I think is dated '03. It does predate dual cores. Mudd, you might remember it as SM-6 from along time ago and elsewhere.

By the way, if someone wins a prize, are they then eliminated from the drawing pool, or are they retained and allowed a chance to win again?

1 prize Max. There will be 9 individual names drawn from a randomized pool of the entries. Winners will be announced in this thread in random order, so everyone knows who the winners are, and each winner will be PM'd through these forums in order from first to last. #1 will have first pick of prizes, #2 second and so on until all the prizes are spoken for.

Ahhh, it's good we can take our pick. While all the prizes are great for someone, for others they're almost useless. For example, it's not much good to have a great water block if you don't have everything else it takes to make it work. In my case I haven't got much use for Intel parts ... ;)

Yes, and it is pretty much inevitable that at least one winner will wind up with something they can't make use of(not right away anyhow). It's unavoidable really. At the very least, a prize that can't be used can be sold to offset something the you do need.

This is why I like gift certificates to places like Petra's on Performance PC's. You can choose what you want, and EVERYONE needs or wants something that is carried at those e-tailers.

Eh, i'd be pumped to win any of it, if it's something i can't use i'll just sell it and buy something i can :D

If it's a water block, it's time to water cool the hell out of the shop computer, i'll rip the radiator out of one of the toyota pickups sitting around!

If it's a water block, it's time to water cool the hell out of the shop computer, i'll rip the radiator out of one of the toyota pickups sitting around!
LOL. If I end up with a waterblock, I'll have them send it to you in exchange for pics of that absurd setup. ^.^

I can't believe it, but our RAC is still climbing!
128,198 and not showing much signs of slowing down b4 the end of the contest!
Not to mention, we're pulling roughly 150-160K per day in total points!

Here's where we sit relative to other teams in our neighborhood.

Code:
[B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]TOTAL POINTS[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]
28  	DSL Reports Team Helix  	 167  	12,326  31,839,646  	
[COLOR="Cyan"][B]29 	Overclockers.com 	         192 	128,198 31,493,701[/B][/COLOR] 	
30	Team China 	                 1621 	35,831 	30,814,037

Code:
[B][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Yellow"]TEAM RAC[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]
4  	Dutch Power Cows  	        1996  	153,458  129,350,156
[COLOR="Cyan"][B]5 	Overclockers.com 	         192 	128,253	  31,493,270  	[/B][/COLOR]
6  	L'Alliance Francophone          3101    117,957  108,754,853

We still need 3.28 at our current rate though, till we pass DSL Reports Team Helix for 28th Spot. We'll get em soon, one way or another.
Nice job team. Couldn't have asked for more really.

Glad this contest was a success, I hope to participate again. congrats to us on achieving our goals. On to the next!

Since I have been a couple PCs a day my RAC keeps climbing, just can't wait till I actually get at least one ticket in for the drawing .. LMAO ..

I would think that we'll pass DSL Reports real soon anyways, just on our momentum from this contest. And for you all that hadn't run a BOINC project before, you should really switch your boxen over about a week before the start of the contest to get everything running smoothly and your RAC climbing hard. Also, de[pending on the project, you can have a quite large buildup of credit pending (Seti more-so than Rosetta) which can get stabilized by starting a bit early.

I would think that we'll pass DSL Reports real soon anyways, just on our momentum from this contest. And for you all that hadn't run a BOINC project before, you should really switch your boxen over about a week before the start of the contest to get everything running smoothly and your RAC climbing hard. Also, de[pending on the project, you can have a quite large buildup of credit pending (Seti more-so than Rosetta) which can get stabilized by starting a bit early.

Does it take the full 2 weeks for it to level off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back