• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So it seems We dont need no stinkin DX 10!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As far as I know, game companies don't need Miscrosoft's permission to produce games, do they? What's to say they (Game Companies) won't continue to make DX9 games for 2 to 3 years until a significant amount of people actually switch over to Vista? And at that time they may start releasing DX10 games. I actually like Win XP. I think it is the best product to come from MS. Vista better have more than DX10 support to win me over. That's not worth my ~$90 and potentially $500+ for a new GFX card. I mean it better boot to my desktop as soon as I power up my PC and be a whole lot more than a graphical overhaul (IE a super speed increase). I have never had any issues with XP outside of the foreign tech support call needed every time I format my hard drive and re-install. I think it's taken MS so long to make Vista because XP isn't broken. I know there will never be a "Windows Final", but at least give me more for my money than flashier icons to click on and a trumped up need to play the newest games.

Not for nothing because I think you were kidding, but if you want to boot to your desktop as soon as you power on it has zero to do with the Video, and your best bet would be a fairly large flash HD which they do sell for almost instant on speeds although they are very expensive.

Nandro said:
Not for nothing because I think you were kidding, but if you want to boot to your desktop as soon as you power on it has zero to do with the Video, and your best bet would be a fairly large flash HD which they do sell for almost instant on speeds although they are very expensive.

Yeah, that's definitely not worth the money for the once every 2 weeks I actually shut down my PC. The point was, that if they don't do anything nice like that, what's the incentive to upgrade other than DX10? I know they're a company out to make money, but come on, DX 10 is all they have to convince me to buy into Vista? If that's the case, I will wait awhile until I absolutely have to even if for nothing more than principle alone.

The smart money will back OpenGL based games as that is platform independent and will run on a lot more computers. Vista is starting to become the new Money Edition OS for Microsoft. I was thinking of getting Vista Ultimate but some BS buried 6 pages down (#15) in the EULA is the deal breaker for me and lots of other power users. XP will be the last M$ OS for me unless they get a little less greedy and disingenuous in their ways.

he point was, that if they don't do anything nice like that, what's the incentive to upgrade other than DX10?

DX10 is a massive upgrade for developers and therefore for gamers. Its going to take graphics to the next level of realism as far as looks go. I dont think its a small difference like SM2 to SM3. I will look into it, but I know that the general thinking is that its more like going from regular TV to High definition. I myself root for OpenGL, but I dont know how well they are prepared to compete with DX10.

Audioaficionado said:
... I was thinking of getting Vista Ultimate but some BS buried 6 pages down (#15) in the EULA is the deal breaker for me and lots of other power users....

post it please ... im curious because i have not read any of it yet :D

thanks in advance :D

Nandro said:
I myself root for OpenGL, but I dont know how well they are prepared to compete with DX10.

OpenGl 2.0 supports/will support (I dunoo if it came out already) evrything that dx 10 will support.

Celada said:
OpenGl 2.0 supports/will support (I dunoo if it came out already) evrything that dx 10 will support.

OpenGL 2.0 has been out for a while already I believe... However DX10 does have several more nice additions that OpenGL lacks. Also most cards are only OpenGL 2.0 "compliant", but can't do the full workload.

Vista EULA:
15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the “licensed device.”
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

I believe what this means is that you can only reinstall vista once, unless otherwise specified in your terms of agreement. Read the blog.

nightelph said:
Vista EULA:
15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device becomes the “licensed device.”
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows reassignment.

I believe what this means is that you can only reinstall vista once, unless otherwise specified in your terms of agreement. Read the blog.

In other words either way screwed.

nightelph said:
Since this is going to be the 14 page EULA everyone will be clicking on before installing Vista, this is the specified agreement terms.

The blog explanations aren't the legal document you'll have to agree to but the EULA is.

So unless Microsoft changes or appends that line, you only get to upgrade your hardware once even for the retail versions including Ultimate. The hardware changes that triggers Vista is first the motherboard and secondly the hard drive. The other components aren't supposed to trigger reactivation. You should be able to reinstall on the same PC repeatedly but you'll most likely be asked to call a human to explain your situation.

As for the reviewers, they don't have to activate Vista for the few days they will be running benchmarks as it won't go into RFM immediately.

MadMan007 said:
'My motherboard died and I had to get a new one.' Problem solved, hopefully.
I really don't see that being very likely and although it's just pure speculation on my part.I am sure they will not approve validation as much as some of the people here upgrade hardrives/mobos.

On another note I wish they would at least lock it to the harddrive I wouldn't mind it as much,as not being able to replace the mobo.Considering ddr3 should be out sometime in 2007 as well as quad cores/4x4 late this year and dropping in price sometime in 3rd/4th quarter in '07

All you have to do then is call up Microsoft and verify with them that you just upgraded your HDD or MOBO and they will give you a new license key, you can do the same thing today. How often do you guys upgrade the OS partitioned HDD or a MOBO for this to be a major disconvinience?

Brute Force said:
All you have to do then is call up Microsoft and verify with them that you just upgraded your HDD or MOBO and they will give you a new license key, you can do the same thing today. How often do you guys upgrade the OS partitioned HDD or a MOBO for this to be a major disconvinience?
I might upgrade my mobo 1once a year. So the OS lasting me 2 years where XP has lasted my since it got released with at least 5-6 hardware changes I say its a big deal in my book.

Brute Force said:
You are putting your faith in the good will of Microsoft towards end users. It's up to them and if your personalities just happen to clash that day on the phone, sorry but you might just be SOL.

I'd rather have it spelled out in a written document. If it ain't in the EULA then it doesn't exist contrary to the spin doctors or bloggers optimistic opinions.

deathman20 said:
I might upgrade my mobo 1once a year. So the OS lasting me 2 years where XP has lasted my since it got released with at least 5-6 hardware changes I say its a big deal in my book.

In that case you just simply call up once a year to Microsoft for a few minutes and register your new computers license key with them, no problems at all.

@ Audioaficionado -

That is just plain bias on your part against Microsoft, they said that it will work this way and I am very sure it will work very well unless you have any proof against it...

Well with DX10 do you really think that every game maker will make DX10 only games? I doubt they will be making many DX10 only games from the start. I would hope, if they have any sense anyway that they would make an option for DX9 or DX10. Can you imagaine how badly it will hurt sales if they make DX10 only games which = new hardware, new OS that comes to like a grand or better said and done. I doubt this will be a huge issue at first but as Vista and DX10 becomes more popular I am sure games will start to be DX10 only. Since XP has been out we have heard that games will no longer support Windows 2000 and older. I have only found one game and a recent one at that, that will not run in 2000. That is Company of Heroes. I really don't think this will be as big of issue as many are making it.

Brute Force said:
@ Audioaficionado -

That is just plain bias on your part against Microsoft, they said that it will work this way and I am very sure it will work very well unless you have any proof against it...
Read the EULA dude. It doesn't matter what some product manager says to a blogger but what's written down in the EULA. Microsoft may choose not to enforce the EULA to the letter but they still can at any time. What you think Microsoft might do is irrelevant. The EULA stands on its own.

I use XP and was going to buy Vista Ultimate so your bias statement is off base.

Back