• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soltek Golden Flame,I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nut581 said:
Dave, finally my WC-ing setup is fixed ..

I run my 1700+ JIUHB0302EPCW@2000Mhz, 200x10, idle@34C, load@36C, room temp@23C, so this baby does run@200fsb.

I'm able to finish 3dmark2001SE after disabling both the 8x agp mode and AGP fast write on BIOS (before disabling them, I couldn't even boot@200fsb).

but my generic ram sucks tho .. it won't boot above 190fsb, so I had to run the ram async to 166mhz to get 200fsb .. better ram will certainly make it possible to run sync in 200fsb .. yours should do the job just fine.

Oh wow,I had 8X enabled,but fast write was disabled,well I will retry it again:)

Gives me hope..

Dave65 said:

Cisco you have read my mind,I have been considering the Abit for sure,but I have read so many good reviews on the Soltek I had to give it a shot..

As far as the ram timings go I have set default settings and still couldn't do 200 FSB using both Corsair and TwinMos.
The Twin Mos did do better than the Corsair,but consider that the Corsair is 1 stick 512 PC 3200 and the TwinMos is 2 sticks 256.
But if I add the second stick to enable the dual DDR,it gets flaky on me,I have never seen anything like it..
I haven't sent the Soltek back but I did send back the Corsair because it wouldn't do as specified,and there tech said it was bad so I sent it back for a replacement..

Well you may have found the culprit that being the ram you rma'd so may as well see the outcome with a new stick. I have seen a few users of the Soltek who also own the 8RDA+ and prefer it, , here in Canada I could have bought a Soltek board for 138 cnd about 90 US so that is a very attractive price.

I think it all comes down to tinkering/fiddling and spending some time after numerous reboots to find where you will max out. for now I have settled at 185 fsb using default multi, however I have not even given 200 fsb a shot using 10x thats another task for another day LOL

NF7 even has me considering it LOL and I just got the 8RDA+ 8 weeks ago or so LOL. But to be honest performace is great so far and I really think the Nforce 2 boards are very close in performance to one another closer than you think, I think it is features that pull people to one brand or the other as well as cost. Keep the info coming as to what you find out after ram replacement

Cisco KId

Cisco KId

Cisco Kid said:

Well you may have found the culprit that being the ram you rma'd so may as well see the outcome with a new stick. I have seen a few users of the Soltek who also own the 8RDA+ and prefer it, , here in Canada I could have bought a Soltek board for 138 cnd about 90 US so that is a very attractive price.

I think it all comes down to tinkering/fiddling and spending some time after numerous reboots to find where you will max out. for now I have settled at 185 fsb using default multi, however I have not even given 200 fsb a shot using 10x thats another task for another day LOL

NF7 even has me considering it LOL and I just got the 8RDA+ 8 weeks ago or so LOL. But to be honest performace is great so far and I really think the Nforce 2 boards are very close in performance to one another closer than you think, I think it is features that pull people to one brand or the other as well as cost. Keep the info coming as to what you find out after ram replacement

Cisco KId

Cisco KId

Yes but I got the same results with TwinMos also.But it was some what better than the Corsair.When I put the TwinMos in my EPOX I could get 205 FSB and I could only hit 190 with my Corsair PC 3200.But I also have a stick of Corsair PC 3000 which I could hit 200+ easy with so I knoew the PC 3200 Corsair was faulty @ best..
I was all set to get the 8RDA or the ASUS but then I saw the reviews on the Soltek and since I had a Soltek before and was a good performer I figured id try it..
I think if I don't get the Soltek working to my liking I will RMA it and see how it goes,and then I will try something eles.

I hate to RMA stuff cause I don't like to wait..LOL

I have been fortunate to never have to RMA ...

Look at it this way you will find what you want fer sure!! Keep me postd I had planned to possibly try that board due to cost.

Cisco Kid

Guys, here's the best result I can get w/ my Soltek SL75FRN-L

superoc.jpg

that's 11.5x190fsb (I can go with 200fsb, but my cheap DDR won't post sync above 190, so I had to choose, run the DDR async and boost the fsb to 200, or run it sync@190 fsb .. I chose sync@190fsb).

that'[email protected], but it won't complete 3dmark2001SE (back to desktop during nature test).

now I paid $$150 shipped for both the mobo and the CPU, and I get the performance of XP2700+ on XP1700+ CPU ... SOLTEK ROCKS!!!!

I believe with better DDR, I can get higher score ..

and oh .. I did all that without any modification on the mobo .. it runs what it is out of the box@35C idle and 38C load (as always, room temp@23C) .. I watercool tho :D

Cisco Kid said:
I have been fortunate to never have to RMA ...

Look at it this way you will find what you want fer sure!! Keep me postd I had planned to possibly try that board due to cost.

Cisco Kid

Well I would go ahead and try it,most are having great luck with them.
Nut581 is proof of that..Way to go Nut:D

PS..Nut send me your board and I will send you mine:D :D :D

Nut,

What kind of hardware you running,vid card, PSU and such???

And is that a Tbred??

lol :D .. I was able to hit 12x190fsb and it would boot windows, but soon after I got explorer error .. so now I'm running stable@11x190, 1.75V@33C idle and 35C load, 23C room temp.

my PSU is a generic one, 450watt, but the +5V rail [email protected] .. so I guess it's a good generic one :) .. then I have my PNY GF4 Ti4600, 2x Maxtor 80GB 8mb cache in RAID 0, Plextor 40x12x40A . that's pretty much it.

I put dtek's TC-4 Waterblock connected to an external WCing setup uses Eheim 1048 pump and a heatercore that fits 2x120mm fans in it .. it's a big core :)

now I'm gonna get me a northbridge waterblock so that I can put higher fsb and multiplier w/ lower voltage (one guy I know lapped his soltek's NB hsf, then put it back with AS3 and was able to hit 200fsb whereas before he maxed out at 190 ..)

better ram and a NB block .. that's all I need now :)

and ohh, I just completed 3dmark2001SE using settings above .. rock stable ... YAY!!

:edit: that's a t-bred indeed, 1700+ JIUHB0302 from excaliberpc.com

Is it a TBred A or B??

I just found out both my TBreds are A and I have read they are not as good as the B:mad:

it's a B .. JIUHB is a B .. that's the reason I bought from excaliberpc.com .. they guarantee the stepping. now you might want to refund ur cpu and get one from excaliberpc :D .. sure their shipping isn't as quick as newegg's (it took almost 2 weeks to ship my items using UPS ground), but I knew what I was gonna get, and I liked that :D

nut581 said:
it's a B .. JIUHB is a B .. that's the reason I bought from excaliberpc.com .. they guarantee the stepping. now you might want to refund ur cpu and get one from excaliberpc :D .. sure their shipping isn't as quick as newegg's (it took almost 2 weeks to ship my items using UPS ground), but I knew what I was gonna get, and I liked that :D

Well that must be the reason,mine didn't perform as good:(

Well I put the board back in and re tried it,and it was no go.

For some reason even @ default I was getting corrupt files,even with a clean install.
Windows Root/Systems32\hal.dll file kept getting corrupt.So I said screw it im sending it back and I put my trusty EPOX back in..
I think I will either try an 8RDA+ and see how it goes..

lol :D .. u might need to put off the northbridge HSF and apply ASIII on it .. coz' I just did it and I got 190x11.5 stable now :D .. plus, there is a modded bios w/ VDD adjustable up to 1.8V .. no mod!! I'll hit 12x190 stable by the time my northbridge waterblock gets here :D .. next buy is dual OCZ EL PC3500 256mb .. and I'm so loving this baby :D .. yihaaa

nut581 said:
lol :D .. u might need to put off the northbridge HSF and apply ASIII on it .. coz' I just did it and I got 190x11.5 stable now :D .. plus, there is a modded bios w/ VDD adjustable up to 1.8V .. no mod!! I'll hit 12x190 stable by the time my northbridge waterblock gets here :D .. next buy is dual OCZ EL PC3500 256mb .. and I'm so loving this baby :D .. yihaaa

That was the first thing I did was put the AS 3 on the north bridge.

I have no idea,I running my EPOX 205X10 right know,prime has been running for 2 hours now.So I find it hard to believe it is my CPU..It is very depressing for sure:(

your not alone dave ive had problems with this board also. im not a very expeienced overclocker but it seems only stable on optimal settings. i also have corsair memory only a little slower pc2700. but i cant even boot the p.c anywhere near 166 mhz fsb!!:mad: if i clock it higher and run 3d bench 2001 se i get stuck in the lobby part of the bench everytime almost the same spot. it is very depressing but i will keep trying, i hate to send it back. also knowing some else had good luck with gives me hope. anyway im going to try to flas the bios now and fiddle with it so wish me luck.

msplehn said:
your not alone dave ive had problems with this board also. im not a very expeienced overclocker but it seems only stable on optimal settings. i also have corsair memory only a little slower pc2700. but i cant even boot the p.c anywhere near 166 mhz fsb!!:mad: if i clock it higher and run 3d bench 2001 se i get stuck in the lobby part of the bench everytime almost the same spot. it is very depressing but i will keep trying, i hate to send it back. also knowing some else had good luck with gives me hope. anyway im going to try to flas the bios now and fiddle with it so wish me luck.

Good luck,I hope it works out for you,it is very frustrating,because everyone eles seems to be getting good results,so you blame yourself and question whether you are doing something wrong..

I know the feeling..Hang in there:)

as said before, corsair has compatibility issues with nforce2 based boards, so they fixed it with the TwinX module ..

Back