• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone Help me with Overclocking my AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LeeHowling

Registered
Set Up

Coolermaster Hyper Tx3 Cooler Lga 775 / 1156 / Am3
Zotac Geforce Gtx 550ti Amp 1Gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD Six Core FX 6100 3.3Ghz
Corsair 4 x 4Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory 16Gb

Right

Im overclocked now to about 3.8 but i dont know how to set up all the other options in the Bios where it is set to Auto

Im haveing a few problems like when I do a bench mark my pc crashes, could someone help me with the right set up please.

426928_3435095720268_1356701703_3327477_415344176_n.jpg

Untitled-2.png

Welcome to the forums :)

While I've not had the pleasure of overclocking Bulldozer chips, I can offer some general overclocking advice.

Overclocking often comes down to balancing voltages and temperatures. Increasing the CPU voltage will likely help you stay stable at 3.8 GHz, but will result in a corresponding increase in CPU temperature and will shorten the CPU lifespan a little (as in, you might only get 7 years out of it instead of 15 ...).

You need to make sure you have a way to monitor the CPU temperatures. I'd recommend CoreTemp (link: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=3). Then, you can steadily (0.025 V at a time, or so) increase the voltage until you find a point at which the machine is stable. Hopefully you'll get to this point before the CPU temperatures get too high (I think anything > 70C is bad news).

Hope this helps a little. :)

Thank you for a quick reply, The voltage is the point where I am stuck, Im not sure which to alter.

I tried the CPU over voltage up by +1 but it wouldnt boot up

I'm unsure if the over voltage means the new voltage or simply a modifier ... have you tried 0.025 V?

Also, I've just noticed that AI Suite actually monitors temperatures, which is handy! 30C is pretty cool, so you should have some headroom there. It doesn't shoot up to silly temperatures under load, does it?

Below ambient? I doubt that's a correct reading. I do have issues with Core Temp on my A6 as well, actually, when it's idle. Under load it seems to read OK but if the temperature is low it seems to seriously underestimate the CPU temp.

I think I'd be tempted to stick to AI for now. All you need to know first of all is whether you just set fire to it :p

It just dont like any overclocking, in windows its fine but say I do the windows benchmark it shuts down.

One potential problem I see on your system is that you have 16 gb of ram installed. That's a lot! It puts extra strain on the processor's integrated memory controller (ICM). Do you really need that much memory? In addition to increasing your CPU vcore you also will probably need to increase the CPUNB which is a component of the ICM.

Well its what come with the Processor and Motherboard. I bought a bundle kit off Ebay.

I OC it to 3.4 and ran Call of Duty it was ok for 5 min then reset.

So I have put bios to default settings as something is not right, Now in the AI suit Im getting all dif clock speeds and Vcore voltages.

Im lost

So I have put bios to default settings as something is not right, Now in the AI suit Im getting all dif clock speeds and Vcore voltages.
Im lost

That's because all the "green" stuff was re-enabled when the reset was done. The green stuff downclocks the cores and cuts the voltage to the cores at the same time. We always advice disabling the green stuff when overclocking: Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo Boost and possibly some other "P state" settings.

Have you run any core temp readings yet? Download and install the free program, HWMonitor. Open it on the desktop first thing and then run Prime95 blend for 10 minutes or as long as it will run before resetting. Watch the core temp section of HWMonitor from the start. Report back as to what the max core temperatures were before the reset. What you described could easily be caused by overheating of the CPU and its cores.

I have a request. Please, crop the pics down to the individual images you wish to display rather than taking a screen shot of the whole desktop so that the images become larger. It is difficult to see the values in the program interfaces that you are using to monitor your system, even when you click on the enlarge link. "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories is great for this. With it you can frame and crop the images. You can upload as many as three images at a time with the forum pic upload tool and if you want to attach more than three you can go back in under Advanced edit and add more.

If your core temp idle is 13 C. you know that is an inaccurate reading because it is almost 10 C. colder than your room temp - impossible with air cooling. I would add about 10 C. to that as an offset. I can tell you right now that a Hyper TX3 cooler is totally inadequate for overclocking an FX X6. It would probably be adequate for running it a stock voltages and frequencies.

Having said that after 6 minutes of running Prime95 your temps are acceptable so I don't think that is the reason for your instability. The first thing I would try if I were you would be to take out two of the four sticks of ram you are running and see if the problem might be over-stressing the integrated memory controller (ICM).

Took all memory out, Still doing it...... plays call of duty for like 10sec then it shuts down.

I have to take the power cord out for like a minute before it will start up.

You now have a yellow star under your screen name and it is time. Make sure in your parts list is Power Supply and part/model number.

Sigs are pretty easy. Signatures follow you in every post in the forum so your system information follows you and people know what is in the box.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

Took all memory out????

I have recently overclocked my Fx-6100; Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus to 4.4Ghz and it is 2 hrs. stable in prime95 max temp of 50c on air. cpu vcore is 1.38ish multiplier is 21, bus speed is 210. I had initially set my cpu voltage to greater than it needed to be and stepped it back down until I had the lowest possible voltage for my current settings to still be stable.

My CPU-Z verificaton: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2280002 . Mind you this was before I was finished stepping down the voltage. I am not at home right now but I will try and check back later to see if I can help out more.

Edit: In the bios the cpu voltage shows as a 1.??? value and you increase and decrease using the plus and minus buttons on your keyboard. I think this is listed under jumperfree configuration, again I am not at home.

Last edited:
Well I left 1 stick of 4gig in, still the same.

In windows event log, the only error I can see is that ""The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly""

Well I know this lol.

Back