• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Someone Help me with Overclocking my AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Took all memory out????

I have recently overclocked my Fx-6100; Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus to 4.4Ghz and it is 2 hrs. stable in prime95 max temp of 50c on air. cpu vcore is 1.38ish multiplier is 21, bus speed is 210. I had initially set my cpu voltage to greater than it needed to be and stepped it back down until I had the lowest possible voltage for my current settings to still be stable.

My CPU-Z verificaton: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2280002 . Mind you this was before I was finished stepping down the voltage. I am not at home right now but I will try and check back later to see if I can help out more.

Edit: In the bios the cpu voltage shows as a 1.??? value and you increase and decrease using the plus and minus buttons on your keyboard. I think this is listed under jumperfree configuration, again I am not at home.

How did you change the VCORE??

My bios is set back to default and its still doing it. Wonder if its a graphics card problem

Sorry I am new to OCing, I just built this computer a week ago and am still learning as I go. I would suggest upping your core voltage to 1.32ish perhaps even 1.35 and seeing what that gets you. If you are unsure of messing with the voltage you could always step down your multiplier until you get a stable system and then do some more research.

How did you change the VCORE??

My bios is set back to default and its still doing it. Wonder if its a graphics card problem

I changed it in the bios. You might also want to look at AMD Over Drive, I used it in the first couple of days to get the hang of making changes, now I just do it through the BIOS. There is an option in the BIOS for CPU voltage that lets you incrementally step up the cpu voltage, using + or -.

It's crashing even after resetting the BIOS? How did you reset it? Did you put in default settings? Perhaps you missed something. Maybe remove video card and only run on 1 stick of ram. See what happens.

I just set to default.

I cant change any Voltages in Bios and AMD over Drive link on AMD website dont work.

Can you tell me the bit you changed in the Bios to up the VCORE

I dont know what the matter is Im lost lol

Okay, I just downloaded your MOBO manual and it looks almost the same as mine, as far as BIOS configuration is concerned.

Get into your BIOS

Under the advanced tab > Jumperfree Configuration > (make the following selections)

CPU Overclocking [Manual]
CPU/HT Reference CLock [200] <-- that is default
CPU Ratio [Auto] <--That is default, I think auto defaults it to x16
Chipset Overvoltage [Auto] <-- Adjust this setting, it has a range of 1.1 to 1.6 and increments at a .01 rate. Use the + or - keys to set.

Edit: What link did you try for the AMD overdrive? http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/pages/overview.aspx
The link on that page should work.

no the link dont work for me, Comes up:

The webpage cannot be found
HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

Ive pulled the battery from the MB, Will see if it happens again. If it does Im going to take out the GPU card of the PCI slot and try the on board graphics.

Thanks for the O/C info will give that a try

Ive pulled the battery from the MB, Will see if it happens again. If it does Im going to take out the GPU card of the PCI slot and try the on board graphics.

Thanks for the O/C info will give that a try

Sounds like starting over is a good idea. Make sure the computer runs fine without touching anything. That link I posted is copied directly from my browser so I have no ideas there. I hope everything works out for you, keep me posted.

UPDATE

Took the PCI card out and ran the onboard ATI, ran Call of Duty for 10mins and although it was slow and crap it did not switch off.

So it looks like the PCI Graphics Card or driver.

750 watt should be enough for all this?

Also Im using DVi cable instead of HDMI and it seems to be the monitor is quicker picking up signal than the HDMI

Is HDMI just for Blu Ray? or does it effect gaming?

Also Im using DVi cable instead of HDMI and it seems to be the monitor is quicker picking up signal than the HDMI

Is HDMI just for Blu Ray? or does it effect gaming?

I don't know the answer to the cable issue but depending on what all you have in your computer 750w should be enough, it depends on your system and the brand/quality of your PSU. I use HDMI at home but I only run single monitor @1920x1080, and by monitor I mean tv.

Well the guy I bought the package off says in might be the PSU if its cheap and it was very cheap. Its a PowerX2 700 Watts PSU Advance Edition.

Think I might pop out and get a new PSU tomorrow the I can make a complete PC out of all my old stuff and put it on Ebay.

PowerX2 700 Watts PSU Advance Edition
Apollo Midi ATX PC Gaming Tower Computer Case
Coolermaster Hyper Tx3 Cooler
Zotac Geforce Gtx 550ti Amp 1Gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
AMD Six Core FX 6100 3.3Ghz
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Corsair 4 x 4Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 Memory = 16Gb
LG DVD RW
1 TB Hard Drive

In my Sig now, Think Im going to be staying on this site, very helpful people

Yeah, I'm new here too and I like it a lot so far, lurking around is how I got most of my info for my OC.

On topic: I haven't heard of that PSU brand before, I would think that a 700W PSU would handle your system fine.

I think so to but I think its just a cheap make as I was on a buget a few years ago.

Few Pics

2.jpg

1.jpg

As you can see, I have the coolmaster fan attached to the Heatsink, and the chassis 120mm fan Blowing onto the Heatsink. I also dont have the side panel on.

I assume that your core temps are fine? Other then that if the only difference between it running well and crashing is your video card being installed, I would first check the drivers for the MOBO and the GPU and if that doesn't fix it I would do a bit of googling then perhaps try a different, better rated PSU.

Back