• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for my build? (Ryzen 2) Thanks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firesoul453

My last build ended up a lot better due to the advice from this forum (Shoutout to ATMINSIDE and Blaylock)

(This started with me wanted a new SSD and realizing my old build could not support fast M.2 SSDs)

Questions:
  • Is it dumb to spend all this money and use a R9 290? Should I bite the bullet and get a Vega 64 at current prices?
  • Is 16gb a ram plenty? (Maybe I should get 4* 4gb?)
  • I'm 99% sure everything is compatible but am I missing anything important?

Any suggestions / comments whatsoever are very welcome.

Last edited:
Questions:
Is it dumb to spend all this money and use a R9 290? Should I bite the bullet and get a Vega 64 at current prices?
Is 16gb a ram plenty? (Maybe I should get 4* 4gb?)
I'm 99% sure everything is compatible but am I missing anything important?
1. That's your call. Pricing is high, no doubt. But can/do you want to wait a few months for new cards to come out? Up to you. ;)
2. For a general/gaming rig, that is plenty.
3. Not that I can see at first glance.

1. That's your call. Pricing is high, no doubt. But can/do you want to wait a few months for new cards to come out? Up to you. ;)
2. For a general/gaming rig, that is plenty.
3. Not that I can see at first glance.

If I buy this I'll probably stick with the r9 and see how it goes. GPU is just about the easiest thing to upgrade anyway.

16 gb of RAM is a good amount for general purpose computing including gaming.

The Radeon 290 is still a reasonably potent card and I imagine you can still play a lot of modern games with it at acceptable fps.

My only suggestion is get the low latency TrizentZ RAM (CL14) if you can afford it to maximize your chance of getting the coveted Samsing B die chips. This will maximize the chance, in turn, that you will be able to run the RAM at the full 3200 mhz.

16 gb of RAM is a good amount for general purpose computing including gaming.

The Radeon 290 is still a reasonably potent card and I imagine you can still play a lot of modern games with it at acceptable fps.

My only suggestion is get the low latency TrizentZ RAM (CL14) if you can afford it to maximize your chance of getting the coveted Samsing B die chips. This will maximize the chance, in turn, that you will be able to run the RAM at the full 3200 mhz.

Thanks for the suggestion I ended up buying the better ram.

Unfortunately now my SSD seems to d DOA. Tried in both slots, tried updating the bios and disabling CSM mode. Hopefully with have completed build soon.

Back