• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*** Team 32 Super Sticky Redux ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
*** Team 32 Super Sticky Redux ***

This is something I've wanted to tackle for a long time. It's time to revamp our information folks. I NEED YOUR HELP!

I was recently in contact with the current "Super Sticky", as I'm calling it, author, dark_15, and he was kind enough to give me the source vBulliten code for the current "Super Sticky". We're going to continue using his format and make the necessary changes to reflect the current state of F@H and Team 32. I have dark_15's permission and blessing to do so.

This is a work in progress and will be reposted and stuck when the changes are mostly complete. I'd like to get this done fairly quickly. This "Super Sticky" and the Official Team 32 F@H FAQ will be finalized by Monday, August 11th.

------------------------------------

Team 32's Folding Intro

Welcome to the OCForums' F@H Forum! Here you will find detailed information about the Folding@Home (F@H, or FAH) project.

General Folding Information

• Official F@H Page
    This is the official website for the F@H Project. It includes links to the official downloads, statistics, press releases, results, and also help.

• fahwiki.net
    The Official F@H Wiki.

• F@H Glossary
    Learn terms commonly used when talking about F@H. (fah wiki)

• The Connectivity Test
    Check your Internet connection to Stanford with this quick test suite.

Team 32 Information

• Official Team 32 Website
    The Official Home of Team 32 on the web - besides right here on OCF of course.

• Official F@H FAQ for Team 32
    The Official F@H FAQ by Team 32 - if it's not linked to in this sticky then you can most likely find it here.

• The New Members Thread
    This is where New Users can say hello to the team and ask questions concerning F@H.

• Team 32's Folding Mentor Program (FMP)
    Want to become a Team 32 Folding Mentor? Want to be Mentored? Go here to find out how.

• Team 32 Memorial Wall
    A memorial to those who team members have known who have passed from cancer.

• Team 32's Starter's - Buying, Building, and Farming Thread
    Get some advice on what you need and what you need to do to start Folding for Team 32.

• Team 32 Folding Contest Directory
    Wanna Rumble? Go here to check out Team 32 Folding Contests - past, present, & future.

• Adopt-A-Rig (AAR)
    AAR is a system where users can donate either parts to build rigs that will be used for F@H only.

• Build-A-Rig (BAR)
    BAR is a system where users can donate either parts or money to build modern rigs that will be used for F@H only.

• Team Member Spotlights
    Find out more about your fellow team members.

• Team 32 Artwork
    Show your creative side! Post up your own custom Team 32 Artwork or check out the work of other members. There are some great Team 32 branded wallpapers in this thread.

• Team 32 Avatars
    Avatars! Get your avatars here!!! Have either Lankshark or myself create you a custom Team 32 branded avatar.

• T32 Lost & Found
    An effort to find teammates we haven't seen in a long time and find out what and how they're doing.

• Team 32's Subteams Directory
    Some users actually fold in groups under one name, known as subteams. This thread shows the current subteams and how to join them if you wish.

• Folding Flyers!
    This post has a few examples of F@H flyers. Print these out and share them with your friends to teach them about the F@H Project!

Client Setup (general)

Client Setup (GPU2)

Client Setup (SMP)

Client Setup (standard)

Folding Statistics

Historical Links
Lots of historical information about F@H and Team 32 found here.

Last edited:
TO-DO LIST

1. SMP v6.22 (MPICH and Deino) on Vista Guide
  2. SMP v6.22 (MPICH) on XP Guide (32bit & 64bit)
  3. Update GPU2 Guide to reflect v6.20
  4. Rework the VMWare SMP Install Guide
  5. Bring back and updated version of our own F@H Dictionary - Hack30 is working on this
  6. Team 32's Starter's - Buying, Building, and Farming Thread - needs updating
    maybe some links to suggested mobos, cpus, heatsinks - example builds (budget, high ppd) - how to get the best ppd for the $$$, etc, etc
  7. Team 32 Lost & Found - just needs an update
  8. Folding Production by CPU/Core - update with some SMP and Penryn numbers, maybe even some GPU2
  9. "Hall of Fame" type post - detailing past and present great Team 32 Folders

Last edited:
If/when you need mod input, let me know.

Ideally I'd like to replace most of the stickies with a couple of new ones.

eg:

New Members Post Here
Client Setup
Technical Issues & Buying/Building/Farming
Stats issues (lost and found, milestones)
Memorial Wall

Hopefully this process will result in just that. I'll be in touch. :)

I'd like to update my sticky on installing the SMP client and Linux, because it has several bits that relate only to the 965 chipset, which is rare on newer boards.

Also, I'd be glad to do a first edit / update on any other section you'd like me to tackle.

I wrote the complete idiot's guide to installing F@H, but since then the clients have become varied and complicated. While I would think I have modest guide-writing capabilities by technical knowledge of hardware these days is "pants" to put it politely. If I can be of assistance though please let me know. Unfortunately I'm not exactly great at selling myself so I'm not sure how I would help.

I'd love it if both of you updated your stickys... that would be great! And partly the idea of the redux on the "Super Sticky". I hope all who are linked from the "Super Sticky" will update their guides.

Lofty... your guide is still relevant to v5 console clients. It's not really out of date.

Adak... I'll be in touch, I'd like your help in sorting this out. Something like this redux lends itself to your expertise I feel. :)

First pass at editing complete... see what you guys think. I've gotta go cook dinner now. ;)

More to come. :beer:

You linked the GPU2 client incorrectly, it goes to the SMP Ubuntu thread ;)

oops :D Thanks for pointing that out... heck, if that's the only one I missed in all the Copy-Paste action I was doing... then I'm doing good. :D

Also, while I was at it... I added your Multi GPU Walkthrough. ;)

<< This is Adak's Scratch Pad, so I can use the forum editor features >>
How Much Does It Cost to Fold?

Let's walk through a simple example. Same C2D rig, barely used (not snoozing though), or the same system, folding 100% on both cores.

NF = Never Folds, never games - just browsing the internet.
Ffor5 = Folds for 5 hours each day
Ffor10 = Folds for 10 hours each day
Ffor24 = Folds for 24 hours each day

Watts
=====
Used by Intel E6700 when both cores are inactive: 65 watts
Used by " " when folding @ 100% (both cores): 95 watts
Used by entire system while browsing, ATI 1650 graphics card, 1 HD:
Used by same system while folding @ 100% (both cores):

Added wattage used by 280 series N'vidia card:
An amber color light shows the card is downthrottled, and in Hybrid mode.

At idle: 25W of power.
At full power: up to 236W.
In hybrid mode: 0 watts!

=============================================

Watts used when folding*: (W = Amps * Volts)

How many hours per day do you fold: 3 - 24

Kilowatt Hours per Day:

Cost per Kilowatt Hour:

Cost per Month:
(All figures are in US dollars)

*Calculation assumes a modern, relatively high efficiency power supply. Low efficiency power supplies over 100 watts mess up line power, and are usually not allowed, by law.

============== End of Edit ==============

How much $$$ for 24/7 computing.

I know a whole bunch of folders out there are asked this question by parents, wives, fellow folders, and even yourself. So I popped out the Ampprobe, took some average readings, did a little research and here is what I came up with.

To start off. We need to understand some formulas and definitions. One of the most basic formulas used in electricity is P = IE where P is Power, I is Ioda or Current, and E is Electromotive Force.

Definions.

Power is the rate at which work is done, in this case we are talking about electrical push which is measured in watts.

Ioda is the movement of electrons through a conductor. This is measured in amps.

Force is the relation between energy and charge which results in electric pressure,
this is also called voltage.

Another basic electical formulas is ohm's law, which is E = IR where R is resistence or ohm's, and I and E are the same as above.

Through basic factoring, you can find any of the four if you have two of the values.

P = IE | I = P/E | E = P/I AND E = IR | I = E/R | R = E/I

**Note: If you are concerned with an exact measurement of power used you need to add the power factor to the left side of the formula below. Thanks Gator. For most of us the following example is close enough.

Here is an example using a typical folding computer, 300w supply @ .75 running amps and 17" moni. @ 1 running amp, takes about 1.75 amps to run after initial startup.

These amp readings were taking directly from one of my pcs that is just folding!
Volts * Amps = Watts. So 1.75A x 120V = 210 watts.

Now to convert this to kilowatt hours...
Say we want your pc to run 24/7...
Take watts x 24 to get the watt hours. this = 5040 and divide by 1000 and you have got 5.04 kwh.

Then take the kwh per day and times this by the number of days in a month (30.4 average days per month). 30.4 * 5.04 = 153.22 kwh per month.

An average charge per kwh is $.065.

.065 * 153.22 = $9.96

This is your "average" monthly charge if you were to leave your rig and monitor on 24/7.

This price drops down to $4.98, I won't go though the #s again, if you average only 3 hours a day with your monitor on.

Okay..well alot of us have our monitor on more to watch yatta
back-to-back-to-back......but this is for the average family. To get an estimate for yourself take the hours you leave you monitor on per day (say this is X). (Y) is the total number of hours that your rig stays on. Then crack out the calc and compute (4x + 3y) x 30 / 1000 x 30.4 x .065 = rough est. cost to run your pc per month.

I hope this helps people out when you are thinking about folding 24/7 and wonder how much it costs.

Fold On all!

Thanks to Exar Jun for providing this information.

Last edited:
Bump... anyone else want to help? :)

This is going to get some more attention again this week. ;)

Please see attached... keep up the good work harlam! :)

Attachments

• FAH.zip
    28.3 KB · Views: 192
Back