• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tube Cutter Preference Poll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tube Cutter Preference

• Loose Razor Blade

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Handheld Razor Cutter

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • Ratcheting Razor Cutter

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Kitchen Knife

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • Scissors

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • Pocket Knife

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • Teeth :)

Votes: 12 7.9%

• Total voters
I have a pneumatic hose cutter made by SMC, similar to scissors but one of the blades has several rounded cutouts to fit the size of tube you are cutting, work very well and make a perfect cut every time.

Used scissors, snips and blades. All with decent results.

My present build I purchased one of those cutters you see advertised with the tubing. Cost about $12.00, I think.

Worked great, easy and fast, but really no better then taking my time with a sharp blade.

Now that I have those I guess I will use them for the next decade or so.

I use a nice heavy duty pair of wire cutters. Nice, straight, clean cut every time. If I didn't have those I guess I'd just use anything around that'd do the job. Scissors, box cutter ect. ect..

I need to pick more than one...

Have 2 sizes of nice Wiss scissors, also have been known to use bare razor blades, utility knives, ratcheting PVC cutters, or a slightly custom 10" "shop knife".

the small brush cutters? yeah those work pretty great for cutting tubing really. i liked those alot more than Scissors. the branch cutter has a smoother cut overall.
That's what I typically use too! I think the small branch cutters are by far the easiest to work with and make nice, clean cuts.

I lieu of those I use my pocket knife ...

You guys got it all wrong.

Go to Petsmart, Petco, or some such other large petsupply retailer. Buy yourself a few hamsters.

Now firmly grip the hamster in one hand while placing the tubbing in its mouth, squeeze the hamster. Nice cleancut every time.

You guys got it all wrong.

Go to Petsmart, Petco, or some such other large petsupply retailer. Buy yourself a few hamsters.

Now firmly grip the hamster in one hand while placing the tubbing in its mouth, squeeze the hamster. Nice cleancut every time.

I think that counts under the "teeth" category.

I've found that larger rodents tend to work better... I find hamsters tend to suffer from having their eyes pop out of their heads when squeezed.

Really though kitchen shears seem to work best for me. I tried a utility knife at first, but soon found the kitchen shears to be faster and safer for my fingers... Clifs: I voted for scissors.

I've found that larger rodents tend to work better... I find hamsters tend to suffer from having their eyes pop out of their heads when squeezed.

Well that's why you need to buy a handfull of them, they are pretty much disposible tube cutters.

Rats can generally be used repeatedly, but they are harder to work with. rabbits are too big though, and are really only good for cutting Cat5 wires.

I have a handheld tube cutter that I bought from mcmastercar awhile back. Cuts through thick tubing with ease.

Whatever is handy. Heck even the bench grinder. :)

And for those that are that much of a perfectionist that needs a perfect, straight, clean cut..... you need to find a new hobby. :-/

Well that's why you need to buy a handfull of them, they are pretty much disposible tube cutters.

Rats can generally be used repeatedly, but they are harder to work with. rabbits are too big though, and are really only good for cutting Cat5 wires.

I have a friend who recently had a rat get up from under his house thanks to an unplugged hole from his plumber and eat a hole clean through his washing machine line. It caused about $600 of water damage. So actually, a rat can be an effective means. I think however I will stick to scissors, though I may give the tree branch lopers a try sometime as that seems to be an easy idea I hadn't thought of.

Back