• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked phenom 960t overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukeool

Registered
My and phenom ii 960t seems to be overheating when running prime95. My temps under load go over 60c. But I don't know if the readings are bad. I'm using a arctic cooling freezer pro rev 2 with all 6 cores unlocked. I have 4 case fans (3 intake 1 exhaust). It also idles around 44c. When I take the side panel off it drops Down to about 35c.

That's a big difference with the case side off. Have you tried changing your fans around?

Where are the intakes and where is the exhaust currently?

If temp goes down after taking the side case off, then it needs more fan or the fans already installed are not doing it's job. 44c idle is high, 35 sounds about right. 60c underload is high, 55c is best. Have you OC it at all or is this at stock?

I'm not a fan of the Arctic cooling HSF. There's much better that can be had.

The exhaust is at the back and the intakes are on the side and on the front all 120mm. I have done no oc but I have unlocked it to a hex core

I have noticed that the fans seem to not be moving much air

With a 9C difference without the side panel on, your biggest benefit will be from improving your case cooling - it is hard to get a 9c improvement from a hsf. Right now you aren't moving enough hot air out of the case, and heat is building up. New fans or moving your fans around or pointing them in different directions may help... I would try that first since it doesn't cost anything. If your side panel fans are blowing in near the CPU socket, maybe exhaust the one on the front panel as well and see what it does to temps.

Your temps really aren't too bad for an unlocked APU although you do have a good cooler. In the long run I would think you will either be able to OC the processor or unlock it but probably not both together (without extreme cooling).
The fact that your temps drop w/o door is big concern... 3 intakes, 1 exhaust may be causing too much positive pressure hence restricting airflow - try 2 in 2 out.

Ok I'll try switching the side fans to exhaust but I am a little concerned that not enough cool air will come in because the front fan is pretty useless

Your temps really aren't too bad for an unlocked APU although you do have a good cooler. In the long run I would think you will either be able to OC the processor or unlock it but probably not both together (without extreme cooling).
The fact that your temps drop w/o door is big concern... 3 It's intakes, 1 exhaust may be using too much positive pressure hence restricting airflow - try 2 in 2 out.
it's not even an apu it's just a CPU and it goes over 60c which concerns me alot I've already had a bsod but I think that wasnt because of the CPU.

Often times the front fans feel deceivingly useless because of bays directly in front of it... it is actually working though (unless it's broken or has no static pressure) in providing pressure and airflow to the case. Try it, won't hurt, you may just be amazed at that crappy little fan.

Kind of untraditional, but if you are exhausting from the side panel fans, you may also want to turn your rear fan into an intake.

Personally, I would leave the side fans as intake, and move the front fan somewhere else that it can be more effective (top or rear if it fits).

I see. No real options with fan placement it seems. I would look at replacing the case fans in that case, assuming turning the side panel fans around does not help.

Kind of untraditional, but if you are exhausting from the side panel fans, you may also want to turn your rear fan into an intake.

Personally, I would leave the side fans as intake, and move the front fan somewhere else that it can be more effective (top or rear if it fits).

I have no more fan spaces left

I see. No real options with fan placement it seems. I would look at replacing the case fans in that case, assuming turning the side panel fans around does not help.

Ok can you reccOmend any good White led case fans?

The fact that your temps drop w/o door is big concern... 3 intakes, 1 exhaust may be causing too much positive pressure hence restricting airflow - try 2 in 2 out.

It's not an APU.

Luke, you'll want to get fans that move at least about 50 cfm. Can you get Yate-Loon fans where you live? They are a pretty good quality fan for a low price. In the U.S. we can get a Yate-Loon 120mm fan for under $5. They come in low speed, medium speed and high speed. The low speed ones move 48 cfm of air and are pretty quiet.

Back