• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very few AM3 SLI mobos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

im planning on building a new rig and i was suprised to find newegg only had 2 am3 sli compatible motherboards and they both run only DDR2.. wtf?

Yea its tough, more will come as time passes. Im hoping by when the time rolls around to buy my new rig that some really good AM3 mobos will be out.

There's more boards than that... check the 780a chipset boards... any AM2+ board is AM3 compatible, just check the power rating to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't be so sure that the 780 supports AM3 cpus, as according to nvidia it doesn't.

The 980 chipset was only recerntly annouced maybe that's why only one mobo is out yet.

im planning on building a new rig and i was suprised to find newegg only had 2 am3 sli compatible motherboards and they both run only DDR2.. wtf?

AM3 compatible means AM2+ with a bios update. If you want an AM3 motherboard (DDR3 only) you will have to wait till nVidia releases sometihng.

nVidia moved towards working with Intel it appears after c2d came out, I suppose because that is what the enthusiasts were buying. Now that everyone is buying AMDs they should have something out soon.

IF you have not bought yet, and really want SLI now, then Intel is your better choice.

In true nVidia fashion the 980a SLI board is a renamed 780a. IT is still socket AM2+

Suppopsedly there will be a revision of hte 980a (probably called something entirely different) that WILL be an AM3 motherboard (IE DDR3), no news I can find on release date though.

yeah i really dont feel like paying a "intel tax" ill just wait.. lol any ETA on those new boards? summertime? winter? next year?

I wouldn't be so sure that the 780 supports AM3 cpus, as according to nvidia it doesn't.

The 980 chipset was only recerntly annouced maybe that's why only one mobo is out yet.

It doesn't support the AM3 socket with DDR3... but last time I checked, you can put an AM3 CPU in an AM2+ socket, thus my reccomendation to check the power rating, as some 7xxa chipsets are on 95W boards.

The 980a is a rebadged 780a...

Technically 45nm processors should work even in AM2 mobos, whether you get support for it or not is entirely another matter.
Check the AMD processor part of the forum where chance struggles with the 750a and a X3 720, not the kind of experience I want to have.

Indeed the 980a is same as the 780 but that won't mean every mobo will work.

I did not see any comparison between I7 sli scaling and the K10 but, I7 scales very well against the C2D in higher res, without I7 it doesn't really worth to do SLI unless teh K10 scales better than C2D as well.

yeah im probably going to go with a I7 940 2.9ghz model.. alot of people have been able to OC them to over 4ghz stable on air without any VMs.

I wouldn't do that, get a D0 920, these clock very well check the threads about it in the intel part of the forum. I can do 3.6G on 1.1V and even 3.8G is undervolted. ;)

Check the AMD processor part of the forum where chance struggles with the 750a and a X3 720, not the kind of experience I want to have.

His struggles were related to getting it to overclock beyond 3.6Ghz... not chipset support of the proc. He bought it, dropped it in, and it worked. 7xxa chipsets are AM2+ chipsets... 5xxa are AM2... big difference.

Indeed the 980a is same as the 780 but that won't mean every mobo will work.

Not without a BIOS update on older AM2+ mobos, yes.

Keep in mind, any board with DDR2 is not really an AM3 board, it's AM2/+. The board can use AM3 cpus, but it isn't an AM3 board, AM3 boards are DDR3 only.

Back