• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weekly "wheres the 800mhz FSB chips" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
Acording to the inquierer we are a few weeks away from the canterwood, yet we still arnt hearing anything about the 800mhz FSB chips

Burning Phoenix said:
An article i read a few weeks ago said the chips were to be only a few $'s more than the current chips with a similiar ghz.

yea they are not going to cost anymore, and their overclocking abilities are not known yet...

i'm not getting it so much for 800mhz but for the HT part of it, that and i dont want to overclock any CPU i buy too much as this is my first rig

According to Mike's Hardware the 800MHz chips will be out sometime in May and should only about $10 to $30 more than the regular 533MHz chips. Pretty good for chips that have a higher FSB and Hyperthreading included.

Example, according to the site the 800MHz 2.4GHz P4 chips will be $178 and the 533MHz 2.4GHz P4 chips will be $163. Of course these prices are bulk prices, but should be close to the price online stores will sell them at.

My contact at Intel was originally saying the end of April but with the war stuff happening it may be dealyed until mid or end of May.
I reckon we will see the boards before the chips, so Im getting me a P4P or P4C800 (asus) then using my P4m in it at 1000FSB :)D) for a bit....

they're not so much more expensive than 533, and, also, they have little nice thing called ht. although i don't believe they will oc well (even if they do i won't get enough money to buy some corsair $$$ ram), i will try to switch to them.

yup, memory will be the biggest problem, and we will be fighting for every little mhz... :(

aceton said:
they're not so much more expensive than 533, and, also, they have little nice thing called ht. although i don't believe they will oc well (even if they do i won't get enough money to buy some corsair $$$ ram), i will try to switch to them.

yup, memory will be the biggest problem, and we will be fighting for every little mhz... :(

I dont know how true that is...we see PC2700 overclocked to PC3200 all the time, considering the 800mhz chips only needs PC3200 and we are seeing PC3700 sticks out there, i dont think it'll be a huge deal

and if they arnt out until may tehn i guess i may just be able to wait for a springdale board

markodude said:
My contact at Intel was originally saying the end of April but with the war stuff happening it may be dealyed until mid or end of May.
I reckon we will see the boards before the chips, so Im getting me a P4P or P4C800 (asus) then using my P4m in it at 1000FSB :)D) for a bit....
Thats not a bad idea.:D

I posted this in another thread but I can't find it now:

From intel:
May 11th (prices for 1k trays):
2.40G 400 Northwood US$163
2.40G 533 Northwood US$163
2.40G 800 Northwood B US$178
2.50G 400 Northwood US$193
2.53G 533 Northwood US$193
2.60G 400 Northwood US$193
2.60G 800 Northwood B US$218
2.66G 533 Northwood US$193
2.80G 533 Northwood US$262
2.80G 800 Northwood B US$278
3.06G 533 Northwood B US$401
3.00G 800 Northwood B US$417
3.20G 800 Northwood B US$637

- JW

Kronos138 said:
i've got a P4-TE so i say BRING ON THE BOARDS!!! i'll buy a new chip later when the o/cing reviews are in

im with Kronos on this...
need the boards first then see how the chips are doing...
by then prices probably go down...

All current desktop P4s are packaged in the FC-PGA2 format.

- JW

timmyqwest said:
that says it'll have the flipschip design (ie not 478 pins)

i thought those wernt coming out until later model proscotts...

I was pointing out that the current P4s are already produced in a flip chip package.

- JW

Back