• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What GPU for a phenom 955

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gr3y Gh0st

Im wondering which gpu is best for my old set up.Im playing dayz on low settings with my ati 5770 1gb.I have this motherboard with 4gb of ddr3 gigabyte 880ga-ud3h.Im trying to stay away from bottle necking.
Any help would be great.Thanks Im thinking of an rx 560 4gb ddr5 would that be a huge bottle neck?

Last edited:
Hate to say it but that CPU is going to bottleneck any reasonably high end GPU. That said a GPU upgrade is definitely in order. What I would suggest is grab the highest end card you can afford and plan to carry that over when you upgrade the rest of your system later.

Prices are artificially high on a lot of mid range AMD and Nvidia GPUs because the bit coin miners have been scarfing them up. This was in response to some market change several months ago that made mining more profitable again. Unless you are going to the higher end of the GPU ladder like a GTX 1080 or 1080i then I would wait for the mining craze to subside and mid range prices to go back down. There are signs that is slowing down I think. Prices have started coming down but still much higher than they normally would be. An Rx560 would not be that much of an upgrade over what you now have.

What is the make and wattage of your PSU?

Last edited:
Im wondering which gpu is best for my old set up.Im playing dayz on low settings with my ati 5770 1gb.I have this motherboard with 4gb of ddr3 gigabyte 880ga-ud3h.Im trying to stay away from bottle necking.
Any help would be great.Thanks Im thinking of an rx 560 4gb ddr5 would that be a huge bottle neck?

RX560 is a pretty terrible card while the previous poster is correct about the bottleneck it wont be as bad as you think. Trents is correct about mining destroying the price of video cards the best way to get around this is to look at 4gb cards or previous generation NVidia cards that were awful at mining like the 9 series. The current DAG is going to require more than 4GB here pretty soon so an RX570 4GB or a RX580 4GB have come down in price considerably.

Prices are artificially high on a lot of mid range AMD and Nvidia GPUs because the bit coin miners have been scarfing them up. This was in response to some market change several months ago that made mining more profitable again. Unless you are going to the higher end of the GPU ladder like a GTX 1080 or 1080i then I would wait for the mining craze to subside and mid range prices to go back down. There are signs that is slowing down I think. Prices have started coming down but still much higher than they normally would be. An Rx560 would not be that much of an upgrade over what you now have.

What is the make and wattage of your PSU?

Yea no prices are not coming down at all. Right now everyone's in a holding pattern waiting to see what happens in China regarding the crypto ban that's being proposed there. Once a decision is made and if the market hold you'll see prices go way back up again if Ethereum goes above $300 a coin, even I would be buying sadly as the ROI would be around 6 months or less.

I've grab a used nvidia 780/970 or AMD 7970/280x.

The all have 3GB+ vram and if you overclock your CPU to 3.8/4GHz, bottleneck should be minimal and you should be able to play most games on high+ settings@1080p.

Tir na n0g raises a good point. Is your X4 955 currently overclocked? If not, you can squeeze a little more out of it if you have a good CPU cooler. But I'm not sure that motherboard will hold up to much overclocking.

Psu is Apevia atx beast 550watt dont think i can overclock with it or not.

Psu is Apevia atx beast 550watt dont think i can overclock with it or not.

That PSU will not limit the overclocking of the CPU. Not the greatest PSU in the world but not the worst either. What CPU cooler are you using?

A question is "What games"?

Some are more demanding than others CPU wise.

As an example, I used to run BF Hardline (Campaign) on an AMD A4 [email protected] (the cheapest CPU on the market at the time, lol!)@1080 with no drop below 50fps on max settings.

Still, the Phenom II x4 is quite capable when overclocked.

If I a am not mistaking it has a 20%higher IPC per clock than a Piledriver (AMD FX CPUs), which means that @3.5GHz, it roughly equals a [email protected].

Still decent for gaming as soon as you don't plunge into RTS, which are CPU resources killers!

I've grab a used nvidia 780/970 or AMD 7970/280x.

The all have 3GB+ vram and if you overclock your CPU to 3.8/4GHz, bottleneck should be minimal and you should be able to play most games on high+ settings@1080p.

I was thinking the same thing, probably a GTX 770, 780, or 970 on the Nvidia side. The AMD side I'm less familiar with, but probably 7950, 7970, R9 280, or R9 280X.

Going higher end than those wouldn't make much sense to me honestly, unless you're looking at upgrading to a newer platform on the AMD or Intel side in the near or semi-near future and wanting to transfer the graphics card over to a newer system.

I have a GTX 1060 6GB and a Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.7 GHz and my CPU is holding my GPU back somewhat. Since I'm using a tv as my monitor, 1080p@50 FPS is all I need, but in many games I can't max out the graphics settings and get a steady 50 FPS. For example The Fidelio Incident ran fine at 50 FPS and maximum settings in the beginning, but in the later levels I started seeing big dips into the 30s. In most first-person games I tend start out by maxing out most settings, but leaving the AA off, then adjusting if needed. Looking at 3DMark Firestrike scores, I'm about 10% off the pace that this GPU could do and in games it's those 1% and 0.1% lows where the age of the CPU starts to show. If you're not planning on upgrading the rest of our system as well, I'd say there's no sense in spending money on anything more powerful than a GTX 1060.

I took a quick look at GPU prizes on Amazon and it's pretty insane. Some GTX 970s are selling for more than GTX 1060s (3 GB). RX 470s cost 50% more and R9 390s go for double the price. I didn't do a lot of digging, so maybe these are the worst case scenarios, but it looks like a GTX 1060 3GB would be a good choice, even though your CPU will definitely be something of a bottleneck (in general, possibly not in the games you play). If you can find a good deal on a used GPU, then a GTX 970 could be a good choice as well. The 780... Maybe, if you can get it for around 100 USD or less. I would also consider getting a GTX 1050 Ti. Sure, it's not that quick compared to the GTX 1060 or GTX 970, but it's affordable and efficient. Just looking at the core count and memory bandwidth, the 780 is a lot faster but in practice games the difference is not that great in many modern games (see below), but that older architecture and all those extra resources do mean it uses a lot more power.

Here are a few links you might find interesting:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1410-gtx-970-radeon-390-years-later/
https://www.techspot.com/review/1269-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050/
https://www.techspot.com/review/1491-top-5-worst-gpus/
(780 vs 1050 Ti, take it with a grain of salt)

In view of the inflated GPU prices right now, it might be wise to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory first.

Back