• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I feel EVGA's wait list the most pleasant even though that is not how I got my card.
I'm on EVGA's wait list and they're guaranteeing selling at the original listed price until April 16. But I doubt I'll be getting one before that date. I won't pay any more because, I don't "have" to have it so if the price is too high - no buy! Again first world problem, not really something anyone has to have to survive.

GPU prices in the Newegg Shuffle were high, but curiously, the XBox Series X packages were at the original list pricing.

I'm on EVGA's wait list and they're guaranteeing selling at the original listed price until April 16. But I doubt I'll be getting one before that date. I won't pay any more because, I don't "have" to have it so if the price is too high - no buy! Again first world problem, not really something anyone has to have to survive.

GPU prices in the Newegg Shuffle were high, but curiously, the XBox Series X packages were at the original list pricing.

I'm in the same boat with EVGA. Still is the best way to level the playing field when it comes to buying. Price increases are not EVGA's fault. But again if you need it then the price increase is what it is. Plus I'm sure Nvidia and partners have added a little padding for themselves.

I know there is a lot of hate on the net about the shuffle idea but I don't think its a bad idea. I gave it a shot for the xbox set that came with an extra controller. Not an unreasonable combo overall. I didn't get it and not real sure how they are working this because it was within hours of me signing up they did the shuffle. Not sure if my timing was lucky or what but that seemed odd to me. At least they are trying something new versus the random posting of product.

Tell me about the GPU shortage... I was looking at E-bay and a basic gtx-480 will cost you $50.00. A gtx-780ti/980/ etc starts at 150.00 and that’s not with a winning bid :-( There are no good OCing GPU’s in the 1060/1070 that are less than $125..
WOW..

Tell me about the GPU shortage... I was looking at E-bay and a basic gtx-480 will cost you $50.00. A gtx-780ti/980/ etc starts at 150.00 and that’s not with a winning bid :-( There are no good OCing GPU’s in the 1060/1070 that are less than $125..
WOW..

I'm starting to think it isn't all the shortage causing this. There is some kind of GPU mania going on or something. I was listing one of my old GTX 970 cards on ebay this morning and was amazed at the prices they are currently getting bids for. Not too long ago I bought the same card on ebay for about $95.00US but now there are multiple listings with $125+ bids and they still have more time before they sell. It is absolutely ridiculous what people are willing to pay for computer equipment right now and it makes no sense. I say if people are willing to pay these dumbass prices then let someone profit off it.

To be honest I can't really blame people for trying to scalp right now considering there are clearly tons of idiots willing to pay just about anything for tech.

To be honest I can't really blame people for trying to scalp right now considering there are clearly tons of idiots willing to pay just about anything for tech.
What else am I going to do with the Golf money I'm saving?:p

Just trying to keep the economy going.:salute:

Seriously tho I have had really good luck with Craigslist. Oddly I actually like seeing the people mask to mask. :thup:

There is so much demand I figure there are more than enough folks within driving distance.

I have had good luck buying a few things on Ebay, but never sold anything.

Amazing. I listed my 970 around 9:00 eastern this morning and already have 160 views and a bid. It's like people are waiting on these older cards for some reason.

Look this is a 1st world issue, really not a problem. Nobody is going to starve or go homeless because they can't get a high-end GPU or gaming system. Too expensive for you? Don't buy it.

Second, this is not the first time this has happened due to mining. Were you under a rock then too?

Don't like Amazon or Newegg for hosting 3rd party rip-off sellers? Then don't buy from them. Buy from Best Buy, Microcenter, or a local shop.

Plus you have everything you need, so why are you raging over something as trivial as this that has no affect on you at all?

Because I don't actually believe in freemarket Capitalism. I believe it'll be the death of us all as it nearly WAS at the beginning of the Pandemic.

Just think if there was a way that a few guys could buy up all the vaccines and charge each person $100,000 a shot... they'd still be pulling the same crap now.

I believe that there is an objective "right" and "wrong." You're got the retail price for an item... maybe a slight markup for retailers to cover overhead and a modest profit... That's it.

There's no "Best Buy, micro center, or local shop" to buy from when there is no product because bots have bought them all.

All it takes to prohibit that from ever happening again with ANYTHING (video cards, game systems, masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant.., vaccines, epi pens, etc...) is a new trade law.

There are already laws in place against retailers for price fixing. They just need a new law against price GOUGING.

WHY? Because... as I said... it will ultimately be the death of us all if there isn't one. Just because it's only video cards now doesn't mean that it won't be CPAP and dialysis machines in the future. Craven ******** have already proven they'll stop at nothing for a quick buck...

...I say cut them off at the knee.

There are actually laws against gouging. IIRC people got in trouble for it (at least some of the people) when it came to TP and hand sanitizer when the pandemic started.

Amazing. I listed my 970 around 9:00 eastern this morning and already have 160 views and a bid. It's like people are waiting on these older cards for some reason.

Do we have a new MINING craze going??? New players trying their luck in cypto :comp:

Do we have a new MINING craze going??? New players trying their luck in cypto :comp:

I mean, yes, mostly just ETH but generally only worthwhile in terms of hash/watt on the newer nvidia cards from what I understand. But For those going in for long-term buys maybe the older ones can do well also.

Because I don't actually believe in freemarket Capitalism. I believe it'll be the death of us all as it nearly WAS at the beginning of the Pandemic.

Just think if there was a way that a few guys could buy up all the vaccines and charge each person $100,000 a shot... they'd still be pulling the same crap now.

I believe that there is an objective "right" and "wrong." You're got the retail price for an item... maybe a slight markup for retailers to cover overhead and a modest profit... That's it.

There's no "Best Buy, micro center, or local shop" to buy from when there is no product because bots have bought them all.

All it takes to prohibit that from ever happening again with ANYTHING (video cards, game systems, masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant.., vaccines, epi pens, etc...) is a new trade law.

There are already laws in place against retailers for price fixing. They just need a new law against price GOUGING.

WHY? Because... as I said... it will ultimately be the death of us all if there isn't one. Just because it's only video cards now doesn't mean that it won't be CPAP and dialysis machines in the future. Craven ******** have already proven they'll stop at nothing for a quick buck...

Who makes the determination of what is 'reasonable' profit and who you are allowed to sell to?

Let's say someone wants to buy your house, but you don't want to move... they offer you $100k over 'market value' because it is next door to their best friend, or their momma or something. The .gov says, no you can't sell for that. That is exorbitant. Is that right?

What about your collectible car? You spent 10k building it up, now it's a rare item, .gov says, nope, can't profiteer off that.

You develop a new product EVERYBODY wants. Look at Bezos or Jobs... they've developed a product that has improved the lives of HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people. If not BILLIONS. Probably billions, to be honest. How much are they allowed to own or be worth? Where do you 'draw the line' as to what is 'fair'?

There's always a line...

Without going into politics I will say this post scares the hell out of me. Even more when I know there a lots of younger people out there that think like this. Not saying you are young because I don't know your age but much of the younger generation does think like this. At no time do I want the gov telling me what I can and can't sell and for how much.

The free market will always work itself out. Price something too high and competitors will come out with a cheaper version. It has and always will happen this way unless the gov starts telling us what seems "reasonable".

This thread is leaning towards being rather political and drifting off topic ... I think comparing graphics cards to vaccines is a little absurd.

The OP has been posting bizarrely from the get go. Just lock the thread as there's nothing good going to come from leaving it open.

No leave it open, capitalism isn't perfect but generally it works Ok. The craziness begins when one cannot distinguish between wants and needs.

Vaccines, electric, water , food, clothing, even hi speed internet at this point are needs. High priced GPU's are not...and 99% of us know that.;)

Rainless grows on you:popcorn::thup::)

There are actually laws against gouging. IIRC people got in trouble for it (at least some of the people) when it came to TP and hand sanitizer when the pandemic started.

Who makes the determination of what is 'reasonable' profit and who you are allowed to sell to?

Let's say someone wants to buy your house, but you don't want to move... they offer you $100k over 'market value' because it is next door to their best friend, or their momma or something. The .gov says, no you can't sell for that. That is exorbitant. Is that right?

What about your collectible car? You spent 10k building it up, now it's a rare item, .gov says, nope, can't profiteer off that.

You develop a new product EVERYBODY wants. Look at Bezos or Jobs... they've developed a product that has improved the lives of HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people. If not BILLIONS. Probably billions, to be honest. How much are they allowed to own or be worth? Where do you 'draw the line' as to what is 'fair'?

There's always a line...

Without going into politics I will say this post scares the hell out of me. Even more when I know there a lots of younger people out there that think like this. Not saying you are young because I don't know your age but much of the younger generation does think like this. At no time do I want the gov telling me what I can and can't sell and for how much.

The free market will always work itself out. Price something too high and competitors will come out with a cheaper version. It has and always will happen this way unless the gov starts telling us what seems "reasonable".

This thread is leaning towards being rather political and drifting off topic ... I think comparing graphics cards to vaccines is a little absurd.

The OP has been posting bizarrely from the get go. Just lock the thread as there's nothing good going to come from leaving it open.

No leave it open, capitalism isn't perfect but generally it works Ok. The craziness begins when one cannot distinguish between wants and needs.

Vaccines, electric, water , food, clothing, even hi speed internet at this point are needs. High priced GPU's are not...and 99% of us know that.;)

Rainless grows on you:popcorn::thup::)

And thus a LEGEND is born! hahahahahaha :D

Video cards are not the same as vaccines... no... but I'm talking about EVERYTHING. From epi-pens to PEN-pens. QTips... You name it.

What's with all this "recoiling in horror" from the government dictating prices? Where have YOU been since 1776? They've ALWAYS done that.

Particularly in times of war (Revolution, 1812, Spanish-American, Civil, WW1, WW2), pandemic (Spanish flu, small pox, Covid-19), and famine (dust bowl, Great Depression).

My point is simply that these are NOT normal times and that this level of price gouging could not exist in the absence of a global pandemic and a lockdown.

Like I said in my last post... today it's video cards... tomorrow it could be ANYTHING. Someone said "eventually the free market rights itself"... SURE... but after how many people have died?

No one's going to die from not having a video card... but remember this latest bot craze began with HOT TUBS. We're only sitting on 3000, 2000, and even 1000 series video cards now. It could be FLOUR next... sugar... SALT.

Bottled water...

I'm not saying the government should tell anyone how much things cost... the manufacturer's can determine that... but it would help... across the board... if there was a limit to how far above MSRP anyone could charge for anything.

That way there wouldn't be the kind of lag that we experienced at the beginning of the pandemic where doctors or nurses were unable to get ahold of disinfectant... then masks... then sanitizer... then practically anything... and the time it took the government to crack down.

If there were an established law in place that said no more than 10-15% (or whatever is agreed upon by industry as a fair number) above MSRP for ANY product... then this rabid insanity would never happen again for ANYTHING.

And there would still be room for your "free market" in the USED sector.

What... exactly... is your problem with THAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back