• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why WoW sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward78

Many people ask me why I have such an undying hatred for the popular mmorpg World of Warcraft, and I have quickly noticed
that explaining all the reasons I hate this game to just one person takes quite a bit of time. So, to make things easier,
I have created this article, which, proves beyond a doubt that WoW is one of the worst game ever made in recent memory.

To understand how WoW fails on so many levels, you have to look at the game, not only from its progess though a timeline,
but also at the game design at its core. In this chapter, we're going to look at the reasons why WoW failed as a Player
versus Player (pvp) game, starting from day one onward.

Early on, several problems arose, namely the fact that nearly all player versus player combat was consensual, even on
"pvp" severs, in which many zones were safe, and a player could only be attacked if he or she were "flagged" for pvp.
Also, there was little to no death penalty if you were killed by a player. Aside from a quick run back to your corpse,
there was nothing to lose from being killed. No loot, No equipment damage, nothing. You could be killed millions of times
and nothing bad could ever happen to you character. This takes all the fun out of pvp, because in order for a game such
as this to actually be fun, you need risk and reward. Risk being that fact that you could lose an item or something else
valuable in combat, and reward being the fact that you can take said item from your enemy if you win. This is what
separates these types of games from first person shooter games such as Counter Strike, and Unreal Tournament. What you
work for, and what you can lose, is the fun, its the thrill of a gamble. Another glaring problem that took me some time
to realize was the lack of an impact players can have on the game world. No player actions can change anything, there
is no politics, no capturing cities, no player owned buildings or other assets. Every single server is exactly the same
as any other for the simple fact that nothing can be changed. If you kill a racial leader, he simply respawns. Capture
a city, NPC guards simply keep respawning. This leaves players with a static, boring, and unchangeable game world.

But we choose to keep playing World of Warcraft, mainly becasuse we were promised improvements in the PVP aspect of the game,
in the form of the Honor System and the Battlegrounds. Yes, the game was still incomplete when we were leveling our
characters.

Later, the Honor System was introduced into the game, and it was a disaster. The system offered rewards for players who
killed a certain amount of other players. The rewards themselves were meaningless, but the major downfall of the honor
system is that fact that a reward was added on to a game that had no risk at its core. So we are left with a system
of reward, but no risk. Which led to players doing mindless sucicide runs in the attempt to "farm" more and more players
in yet another endless "grind." The end result was yet another timesink. Currently there are three major timesinks, all
divided into lesser timesinks. 1: The 1-60 level sink, 2: The post 60 instance item farming 3: The Endless PvP grind.
Keep in mind that none of these activities are actually any fun at all, and doing any one of these thee things is 100%
of the game. If you are logged into the game, you will be doing one of these three things. Basically, you are playing
the game in the hopes you can make your character more powerful, but there is nothing fun to do once your character is
more powerful, because once you've done everything, the only thing left to do is go do something in the hopes of making
your character even more powerful. In the end, all you are doing is increasing the power of your character, so you can
increase the power of your character. The idea is insane and flawed at its core. Why do something that isn't fun, so
you can do something that is even less fun when your done?

The Battlegrounds was a promised solution.

Unfortunatly, the "BGs" were the worst thing to ever happen to the game. The system forced all players into instanced
pvp matches, hence killing off all world pvp. All pvp suddenly became instanced. consensual. boring. Even worse, the
BGs attempted to mimic such FPS games as Unreal Tournament with game types such as CTF. (capture the flag) The
problem is, true fps games are much more fun, then an rpg. The rpg cannont compete in terms of gameplay, so the only
reason for a gamer to choose a rpg over a fps for this type of gameplay is the risk and reward aspect. As you know,
WoW has absolutely no risk, so the die, respawn, die, respawn, die, mentality of the WoW Bgs makes it the most bland
and boring PvP game I can imagine.

A glaring problem that existed in the game from day one, was the absolutly terrible PvP class balance. the development
team constantly tweaked the player classes, making some classes far stronger than others. The end result was a
unbalanced ratio of classes, with most players choosing to play the stronger classes. (Rogue for example) While the
weaker classes were underplayed. (Warlock)

Even if the classes were somewhat balanced, it would do nothing to solve the problem of the item driven system for
character power, which rewards players solely on how much time they spend playing the game, rather than the players
skill. The game, from beginning to end, requires no skill whatsoever.

Now that this is out of the way, it begs the question, why do millions of players play World of Warcraft? The answer is
simple. the game was hyped up pre-release by a respected, and well known game company, the game has a smooth engine,
that is user friendly, and easy to operate. The visuals, although they may strike my eyes as Disney land garbage,
are appealing to children. The same applies to the simple controls. then there is the fact that players do not
wish to waste the time they're already infested in the game. All in All, WoW is a flavor of the month game, that will
not stand the test of time, once players complete the grinds and realize that huge mistake that they've made.

-Mike Schoder

I've lost some good friends to this game. By lost I mean they've pretty much given up going and doing stupid **** teenagers do, movies, blowing money at malls, hanging out, lanning, fps, all that sorta stuff. Now all they do is play this stupid game. They get up, play, skip work, play some more, go to bed. It's pretty effin sad IMHO.

ziggo0 said:
I've lost some good friends to this game. By lost I mean they've pretty much given up going and doing stupid **** teenagers do, movies, blowing money at malls, hanging out, lanning, fps, all that sorta stuff. Now all they do is play this stupid game. They get up, play, skip work, play some more, go to bed. It's pretty effin sad IMHO.

That sux.

A really good article. I tried the WoW trial for 14 days and I just couldn't stand the grind. I asked my friends who played WoW religously, and they told me "wait until level 20 or 30, when you start raiding, PvPing, etc". What?! Whenever I play a game, I want to have fun. I don't want to take a week to several weeks to actually start getting into the fun. I had the same problem with Lineage II where you had to be high level to enjoy the game.

I'd like to point out that these threads are pointless. Just by the name of the thread we can tell you really don't like the game, there's a good chance whatever point you are trying to make just doesn't make sense. Some people like the game, some don't. Trying to come up with "reasons why a game sucks" won't change anyone's mind.

Karbon said:
I'd like to point out that these threads are pointless. Just by the name of the thread we can tell you really don't like the game, there's a good chance whatever point you are trying to make just doesn't make sense. Some people like the game, some don't. Trying to come up with "reasons why a game sucks" won't change anyone's mind.

Some people like to rant and express their opinions about games? Lets go digging through search to find many threads like these!

I just don't see the point. There are tons of games that everyone is "supposed to like" but I hated it. People have different tastes, but you can't "blame" someone else for liking a game that you don't.

I haven't played WoW but threads like this are informative IMO. I think he just struck a cord in you (Karbon) because you like WoW....Because I haven't seen you post the comment "threads like these are pointless" in threads where people praise games and say how much they like them....

My turnoff from MMORPG's is the farming. Mindless bots running around and players too busy grinding to interact and help. I understand your PvP argument, although I'm not too big into it because I get ****ed when someone who spends more time in the game comes in and kills you because they're a higher level or have better EQ...I wish more MMORPG's had arena's with 1v1, 2v2...team battles...stuff like that. I understand you want most PvP to be spontanious, but my time is seriously valuable and if I'm trying to level up or get something done I don't want to have to takeout time and do something I don't want to....

Oh and also, running away from mobs for 10 minutes to get away (lineage II for example....I had to run for 20 minutes until I got to a town where I ran through about 50 people and finaly one person decided to help and kill the damn thing)

Well I'm sure he isn't trying to sway WoW players into quitting but rather just expressing the realization that he came to after playing the game. I mean being a blizzard game this is kind of expected. Diablo 2 is completely an item driven game where after beating it once the only reason to keep playing is to create the strongest character. Some people find it enjoyable and others just find it repetative.

While I sympathize and agree WoW is a horrible game, I don't believe it's fair to compare it to FPS games. They are nothing alike. In WoW you have to earn everything and it will stick with that character, in CS if you buy a gun and loose it there's really no problem. You're going to respawn in 2 or 3 minutes and be able to buy it again anyway. If such a system was implemented in WoW no one would have any gear except for a few rogues who would camp out Ally/Horde towns and take everyone's gear.

No offense or anything but you seem to be stuck on the PvP aspect of the game. It's an RPG, PvP is but a side aspect. The only way you can really be any good at lvl 60 in WoW is to have farmed instances or PvP for the hot loot. If you just want good "PvP" I would stick to FPS games.

Although it does sound like you've never been to hillsbrad. Oh the joy of organizing guild raids on Southshore until the Ally call upon the legion of 12 year old paladins. There's still quite a bit of world PvP out there to be had.

Yes, you cant compare a FPS to a mmpog or what ever......

i have not played WoW - last i played was frozen thrown and i just didnt like the route the game was taking so i wont bother with anything new now.

I stopped playing WoW after about 6 months, mainly because

a) it was sucking up my spare time
b) The money
c) The static unchanging world.

Having some sort of new areas apart from the questing areas where you can buy property like forts and such (as part of a guild) and then attack enemy territories etc would make the game more interesting.

Well, i got WOW about 2 mths ago now, i started off pretty slow but now have a lvl 22 mage and a lvl 13 priest. I LOVE THIS GAME.

Does the fact that the game doesnt do what YOU want it to make it a bad game. no. if you dont like it fair enough, but personally, i love it. theres just so much to do.

i guess i have an advantage because i play with 3-4 people ive played through cs and bf2 with, so we have a good laugh.

id say to anyone who hasnt tried it before, download the trial, play it, but dont think thats it..........you cant really get far with 10 days (unless u play 24/7) and when u get to lvl 20 its great fun doing dungeons etc.

How can you say that the game sucks and the people that play it (yep, 5 million) don't know what they are doing? Blaming the hype doesn't make sense if people are still subscribed. About 3 months ago 6 of my friends started playing wow, and still play it today.

Last august I got wow and leveled a warlock to 60. Then, I got bored of raiding and playing all day to get one piece of gear. I canceled my subscription and started taking turns playing my friend's mage. I would rather pvp in blues than spend the time to get good gear, while my friend played all day to get well, the best gear in the game basically. During the week he had to get high warlord he wasn't allowed to play...so I had to play 8 hours a day for him and get 650,000 honor that week. Believe me, I know how much time is involved.

http://ctprofiles.net/1232461 - thats in pve gear. in pvp gear, +599 dmg without trinkets (have tep and zhc)

I blame the type of game- MMORPGs are all about having the best gear. If you don't want to spend as much time as others to be able to do end game stuff, don't bother playing it.

I dislike WoW because of what it does to people. I am sick of going into school in the morning and hearing about how someone battled eggle monster thing and had to find the recipe for that sword thing that gave him a +5 to nerdness or whatever. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. Soem like it.

Cheator said:
I dislike WoW because of what it does to people. I am sick of going into school in the morning and hearing about how someone battled eggle monster thing and had to find the recipe for that sword thing that gave him a +5 to nerdness or whatever. But I guess we are all entitled to our opinion. Soem like it.

For 12 weeks I heard about it for 45 minutes at lunch every day in school. It go so bad I pretty much just snapped one day and told everyone to STFU and get a life (these "were" my friends i mentioend earlyer). It sorta scaled down from there but I swear if I hear someone talk about WoW on the streets or in a store i dont know what I'll do.

Yes, the game "sucks" and the reason that there are millions of subscribers is because of "hype"... not that people enjoy it or have fun playing with their friends, or god forbid possibly use it as a way to get away from reality (although some take it too far obviously). </sarcasm>

The game is a good game and you only get out of it what you put into it. If you have a lot of friends (I play with about 20 guys I used to play TFC with) and meeting random people who play the game and enoy it then I find it to be a good, sociable game. If you only play it by yourself and for reasons to only get good loot then that is your problem with the game and you can say that.

And to your pvp argument, I find it better that I can't be a level 10 that goes outside, gets ganked by a lvl 60 and then lose my gear.. over... and over... and over. That would make the game suck imho.

You cant tell me its not hype when they have adds for WoW on MTV, the home of hype.

And I agree, its more what it does to people, and how simple the game is, is what bothers me more then anything. A MMORPG should be a enthralling, yet fun game to play. Thats why I play EQ2, lots of great stuff to do, the players are helpful, and the world is everchanging. I quite enjoy it.

ahhhh, i love the rants agenst these games.

because they make Eve-online look sooooo much better :p

But i kinda agree with the OP on the PVP aspect of the game. Its flawed. There is no Risk. you die, find your body, re-raise. you lose nothing. There HAS to be some sort of risk, if not then there is no reason to worry about death.

in FFXI, at least that game has some risk involved. If you die, you lose 10% of the EXP you need to level ( that is, if you need 1000 EXP to level, you lose 100 EXP of your current EXP bar. ) and if you only have 50 EXP, you will still lose 100 EXP. you will De-level, and be 50 points shy of gaining that level back. Plus your stats drop down to the previous level's max, if they are higher than that levels max that is.

thats risk.

In Eve, Your ship gets blown up, depending on how far you are into the game, a single ship blowing up could cost you 300 million ISK ( ISK = Currency in Eve ). And if your pod blows up, you had BETTER make sure you have a clone, or all your skills could reset to what they were weeks, or even MONTHS ago. Thats an insane ammount of risk. Dieing once can cause you to lose MONTHS of work, if you don't have yourself ready that is.

I have a friend who does nothing but play WoW CONSTANTLY. He used to be the first person to our D&D games, He used to always be at my house haning out with me, and other friends. He used to practice on his guitar EVERY SINGLE DAY, and he was getting GOOD. But then...Everything went to hell once he started playing. He never comes over anymore, he skips out on over half of our D&D gaming sessions, I havn't heard him touch his guitar in a Loooong time ( unless WoW, or the internet is down, which is the only time he does touch his guitar anymore ). We can't get him to go watch a movie with me and a couple friends, EVEN IF WE OFFER TO PAY FOR HIS TICKET. His excuse is ALWAYS the same " I can't make it, i have a Big raid i have to do today "

and the next day, he has ANOTHER raid. And 6 hours later, he has ANOTHER raid, And the next day he has ANOTHER raid. Its the same thing over and over and over and over!

but i think he MAY have realized he's playing it to much, when he's in the top 50 for PVP in his entire friggin server ( he may be in the top 30...i can't remember what he said ), He IS in the top 20 of his Class in PVP in his server.
He said that he thinks maybe its time to quit, cause of how much time he has into the game. God i hope he does. If he does, maybe me, him and my other friend can get back into practicing our Music again ( I'm drums myself ).

i think the reason i hate WoW so much, is that i'v nearly lost a friend over the friggin game. and all i hear is the same excuse every single time, and it really ticks me, and the rest of our D&D buddies off.

though i don't have a whole lot of room to complain about Wow, as i'm currently playing FFXI, AND Eve-online.

I personally think WoW is a great game. I play with my friends and we have a great time. I don't think its boring at all just like the other 6 million people that play the game. I completely understand why some people don't like it, and that's fine. It's just important to understand that each person has his/her own opinion and all are perfectly acceptable.

Back