• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why WoW sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I myself don't play WoW but have quite a few friends that do, hell, even my boss plays it. My friends are at work 5 days a week, work their hours and we even go out ad play pool or something after work. I guess it differs from person to person how they manage their time and their level of self control.

Although in saying that, I do have another mate that plays WoW and thats pretty much all he does, if you don't count DDR. I see where Edward78 is coming from though, it really is e-crack. Not really something that i would play myself though, I love my FPS games :D

I am determinded NOT ti get addicted. I just got it for my birthday ( 22nd :D)

I cant really play it for 4 weeks, as in two weeks im off on holiday for two weeks, so it ould be a waste of the free trial.

Anything that opens with the premise "x sucks and I'm going to prove why" is clearly biased and intended to provoke people not provide a thoughtful outlook on the situation. Rediculously claiming that game x is the worst game ever also doesn't help your validity. It's not a good article. It's some kid's attempt to A.) Justify spending his cash on another MMO that he isnt entirely satsified with(buyers remorse), B.) Letting off steam after he somehow got messed over in WoW, C.) Get attention.

Now that this is out of the way, it begs the question, why do millions of players play World of Warcraft? The answer is
simple. the game was hyped up pre-release by a respected, and well known game company, the game has a smooth engine,
that is user friendly, and easy to operate. The visuals, although they may strike my eyes as Disney land garbage,
are appealing to children. The same applies to the simple controls. then there is the fact that players do not
wish to waste the time they're already infested in the game. All in All, WoW is a flavor of the month game, that will
not stand the test of time, once players complete the grinds and realize that huge mistake that they've made.

First of all the entire first half of the paragraph is not negative. To claim an intuitive interface, pleasant graphics, and good marketing are negatives is... whatever. Tis wierd that he claims once players get to the end game they will quit and realize the mistake they made, yet the exact opposite is true. Most people who get that far plan to stick with it for much longer, especially if Blizzard keeps adding new content in addition to the expansion pack(or has everyone forgotten AQ20/40, Naxx, etc?). And its not just the raids or battlegrounds. I know a lot of casual players who still have fun at level 60 even though they have no plans of getting their Tiered sets.

Kinda odd also that the article writer speaks for everyone. Apparently all of us are little children who were drooling over the first screenshots of WoW upon its announcement and are going to quit in a month. None of us are mature adults who ignored the hype and finally gave it a try and liked what we saw. None of us have a legitimate reason for casually playing WoW. No, we are all just hoping on a bandwagon. We keep spending money on a monthly subscription because we don't want the money spent on a monthly subscription to be a waste. Yeah that makes a lot of sense to me.:rolleyes:

Wow has a lot of issues. It's not for everyone. However it's still a damn good game both for casual and hardcore players. To tell someone that they are just part of the mindless masses getting suckered into a ****ty deal is just plain ignorant.

btw, if you don't like WoW that's fine. Hell, if you think it's a horrible repetitive unoriginal borefest that's ok too. Go ahead and tell people it sucks(or at least you think it sucks) because you don't like most of the aspects of the game or because it has flaw x y and z. My main issue with that minirant was that its underlying premise directly asserted that all of those who subscribe to the game are doing it because of hype or guilt or any other number of stranger reasons. It's simply is inexplicably stupid to tell people why they are doing something. In this case it's a direct insult and is compeltely off the mark as well.

Last edited:
ok i have never played wow but i have to admit that from what i heard from friends and ppl online that is just another mmo im sorry but i just can't take it anymore a mmo is a mmo i have lost friends and gained friends from it the game has been out for like over a year give it a rest people some of us play mmo some don't edward said he was trying to explain his point cause he would like to not have to tell everyone so if the rest of you could just drop WoW then i would much apprecaite it cuase i really just can't see why we always go back to the exact same thing time and time again i just would like everyone to lay off if you hate what i have to say please send me a tell but i would just like the whole of the forums to drop it before there is a war about it cause sometimes i think we are gettin mighty close.

signed lil shard

Prodigious said:
Anything that opens with the premise "x sucks and I'm going to prove why" is clearly biased and intended to provoke people not provide a thoughtful outlook on the situation. Rediculously claiming that game x is the worst game ever also doesn't help your validity. It's not a good article. It's some kid's attempt to A.) Justify spending his cash on another MMO that he isnt entirely satsified with(buyers remorse), B.) Letting off steam after he somehow got messed over in WoW, C.) Get attention.

Or D.) He played the game alot, realized it has many flaws in it, and is sick and tired of everyone acting like its the greatest, most innovative game created in human existance.

your A,B,and C, are the same things everyone puts up when they see someone bash an MMO. Its either " They have buyers remorse" or " They suck at the game, so they hate it " or, " they are just acting like a 12 year old and want attention " . I see those same three posted ALL the time, and not in just this forum, but at MANY other forums.

so that must mean you must be put into some sort of catagory by your standards as well, so by your standards you are A.) a person who chooses not to look at the other person's point of view, simply because you don't his opinions, and instantly pull out the top 3 excuses made to bash someone who doesn't like a game, showing one's own lack of originality, and refusing to see another person's reason's for posting what what they did, just so you can be-little them, and make one's self feel more important, and smarter than the OP.

or B.) All the above.

Even though i KNOW you don't fall within to catagory A ( or B :p ), According to the choices YOU used on the OP, it must mean the same rules shall be applied to you. But you actually are just tired of people bashing games, simply because they don't like them, and wish people would just be quiet about it. If they hate it, they can hate it on their own, but don't have to let every person on earth know it. i'd bet i'm about 99% correct on that assumption.

He stated why he doesn't like the game, and as far as i can tell, its not due to your A,B or C.

your intitled to your opinion on his opinion, i realize that. and i'm intitled to my own opinion about your opinion, which is about his opinion ( oi...endless loop huh? :p ).

just because someone doesn't like a game, doesn't mean that they are acting like a 12 year old striving for attention, Or many of the other countless reasons people say. Its simply because they played the game, and saw the flaws in it.

sorry, but an opnion doesn't fall within a catagory of only 3 choices.

lil' Shard said:
signed lil shard

Uh....Lil-shard? Do you have any connection to Shard...and if so...

SHARD, you have some SERIOUS explaining to do man!

Just what we needed, another little shard running around, rampant on these forums. :p

WoW is complete, undeniable success because 5,000,000 * $15 per month = $75,000,000 per month = ****ed off gamers that make $12 an hour (probably on average, because theres a lot of young people to bring down the average, but thats another topic).

Now you have to ask yourself a question... do I believe the dude with $2k in his pocket or the dude with $75,000,000 in his?

Personally, I side with the guy with the $75 M because he obvioulsy knows something the guy bustin his balls for a living doesn't.

Sarcasm aside the point is you can talk till you are blue in the face, but no one else in the industry and very few in ANY industry has these kinds of results to back up their stuff so you better have more than a ****ed off, biased opinion if you're going to change peoples minds.

e.g. Results talk, bs walks.

disclaimer: not saying your opinion isn't valid, just giving mine because you know what they say about everyone having one.

So im confused if youve lost friends to the game how does that make the game terrible? I dont think i have seen anyone here claim WoW as being an innovative game at all, in fact what i usually here is how blizard to the good things from other mmo's and implemented them into their own. /shrug WoW isnt the best MMO (old ac is :p) but it is def. up there.

OC Noob said:
WoW is complete, undeniable success because 5,000,000 * $15 per month = $75,000,000 per month = ****ed off gamers that make $12 an hour (probably on average, because theres a lot of young people to bring down the average, but thats another topic).

Now you have to ask yourself a question... do I believe the dude with $2k in his pocket or the dude with $75,000,000 in his?

Personally, I side with the guy with the $75 M because he obvioulsy knows something the guy bustin his balls for a living doesn't.

Sarcasm aside the point is you can talk till you are blue in the face, but no one else in the industry and very few in ANY industry has these kinds of results to back up their stuff so you better have more than a ****ed off, biased opinion if you're going to change peoples minds.

e.g. Results talk, bs walks.

disclaimer: not saying your opinion isn't valid, just giving mine because you know what they say about everyone having one.

So are you saying that Britney Spears is good since it sells by the millions, Windows XP is the best thing ever since it sold millions, and Titanic was a fantastic movie?

Yes, it sold well. Does it mean it's the best MMORPG? Probably in money revenues since it marketed highly well. For gameplay development, I dunno. I had more fun with EVE online then playing WoW and having my buddies trying to get me into it. But it seems like people enjoy simple MMORPG's like WoW. More power to them.

Personally I find this to be nothing more then an opinion and find it funny you seem to think your idea of fun is what it is for everyone. First off simply look at its sales compared to any other MMO, that right there pretty much shows your opinion is nothing like the vast majority of MMOers. If you are going to say this was all marketing then it's been pretty good considering the vast majority of people who play if don't stop for atleast a couple months. Also your "facts" seem a little out of date. World PvP is being installed with patch 1.12 and so is Cross Server PVP. As for PvP being boring as it is now, well that's your opinion and clearly not one that's shared by everyone. If you believe some other MMOs are better though then try to point some out please. I mean it's very easy for me to look at Everquest and say that it has no point but to lvl and farm for better gear, or say Eve Online is just a time pit where all you do is try and get money for better gear. When you actually play the games though and give them the time of day you see it is much more then just that. Anyway your opinion so have fun bashing a game based on information many months old. (Warlock underpowered? Funny because they are considered almost the best PvP class in the game now.)

One thing about MMO's it seems if you play it excessively non stop, it is easy to burn out & quit. I tend to play like CRAZY when the MMO first comes out and then pace myself. One thing I've noticed with WOW is even if people play 24/7 while months fly by, its like they can't give it up! They won't play any other game untill they get slightly tired of WOW for a couple weeks. Few of my buddies wanted to try this game I am playing, but quit it litterly a week or so after starting.

Pretty much all of them had the same story "Its not like WOW" or just bsed. They went straight back to WOW, mind you they had multiple high lvl characters and I believe they didn't want to start fresh as a newb in a (new game). The ironic thing is pretty much every game I play, people flame in chat (ZOMG DIS GAME SUX IT IZ NOT LIK WOW LAWL!!1) Every single time I've tried playing WOW using my buddies character, it just seems absurdly boring to me and I can't get into it.

Last edited:
I used to play WoW, I was major addicted, I used to wake up early every day before school to get in as much as I can. I reached 60, got all my blue set, and after I started MC... I was burnt out, I just got so bored and couldnt stand hte game anymore, I was then playing Bf2 like HELL...got burnt out.

Went back to WoW for 3 months, and I just couldnt handle it anymore... I was too burnt out. So I went back to Bf2 and CS, but more in moderation. I now currently play BF2, CSS and EVE online (great game btw) I was trying to get back into WoW, I purchased a subscription, and immediately stopped playing after 2 days.

EVE online at first seems super super boring. Even when I just started I was like "errr...and how is this game good?" after going on your first adventures for hte quests it gets a bit more fun. ONce you actually get a good ship it gets really fun+ addicting. Im waiting until I can start doing all the good things that the game is about "raids, etc. etc. that can change the whole story"" what I like is how hte game doesnt focus just on combat like WoW. but also trade, corperations, and theres a persistant world!

lil' Shard said:
ok i have never played wow but i have to admit that from what i heard from friends and ppl online that is just another mmo im sorry but i just can't take it anymore a mmo is a mmo i have lost friends and gained friends from it the game has been out for like over a year give it a rest people some of us play mmo some don't edward said he was trying to explain his point cause he would like to not have to tell everyone so if the rest of you could just drop WoW then i would much apprecaite it cuase i really just can't see why we always go back to the exact same thing time and time again i just would like everyone to lay off if you hate what i have to say please send me a tell but i would just like the whole of the forums to drop it before there is a war about it cause sometimes i think we are gettin mighty close.

before I get into adding my opinion to the rest of the thread. "lil' Shard" please, for the love of all that is holy, use freaking punctuation. There are .'s and ,'s for a reason. It is very, very difficult to read your post with any sort of discernable understanding if you do not put periods and commas where they are needed. </rant>

Now as others have said (and I especially like Prodigious' post) that the views of the game are nothing but opinions. What the OP's post was nothing more than an opinion post and anything but an article. An article is based by facts and results, not by person experiences with friends. There are no statistics, besides the opinion of him not liking the way PvP worked or understanding the gameplay or was just too biased against the game and preferred the way an FPS works (which is comparing apples to oranges, imho).

The way that Blizzard made it was that it would be accessible to any type of player, they came out and said that before and after launch that it would be almost risk free (although the time that you are dead you have to wait to spawn or you take a durability hit (although not in PvP/BGs) on your armor) that or you can choose to spawn at the graveyard and have resurrection sickness for 10 minutes that basically make you unable to kill anything in your area for that time because of the 75% hit to all stats. I believe that Blizzard did a good job making a game that is easy for anyone who is either a casual player (myself) or someone who is hardcore (my buddy's dorm-mate last year). I like to put a couple hours into it, maybe a bit more on the weekends about every other day just to get my character leveled up, play a bit of PvP, or just raise up my professions and chat with people in my guild that I used to play TFC with.

The only real fact(s) about the game/publisher is that:
- it is the biggest success of an MMO of all time (and I believe having more subscribers than any other current MMO combined).

and to ignore that and believe the 5-6M customers that subscribe simply gave into hype/marketing and nothing else is just ignorant. There has to be some reason that they continue to play the game and enjoy it or else they could have cancelled their subscription and played a game that is not Pay-to-Play or moved on (like some of those on this board did).

Papier said:
So are you saying that Britney Spears is good since it sells by the millions, Windows XP is the best thing ever since it sold millions, and Titanic was a fantastic movie?

Yes, it sold well. Does it mean it's the best MMORPG? Probably in money revenues since it marketed highly well. For gameplay development, I dunno. I had more fun with EVE online then playing WoW and having my buddies trying to get me into it. But it seems like people enjoy simple MMORPG's like WoW. More power to them.

1) Spears is not my kind of music, but its obviously very good to screaming teenage girls. You seem to be saying because you don't like something is sucks. Is that the case?

2) Windows is absolutely the BEST entry level PC OS. Maybe if Mac OS was redily available for complete PC noobs it would be better, but its not and linux is a joke when it comes to average jane/joe. So yes it is by far the best at what it does.

3) Again, because you and I didn't like it doesn't mean it sucks. Many, many people thought it was a very good movie.

4) I said it was an absolute success, not the best. Although, I could justify saying it is the best. It is the easiest MMO game for the casual game to get into and get things done, so for the vast majority of MMO subscribers it is the beswt MMO game. Personally, for me AC1 was better (big WAS there), but when a game exceeds the best in its genre by 10 fold it can easily be argued the best.

To steal your analogies/examples...

WoW would be like a band that outsells the beetles by 10 fold, an OS that outsells XP by 10 fold (granted, its not possible), like a movie that outsold Spiderman 2 by 10 fold (or whatever the highest grosing movie was).

Anyone can ignore all the good things about a game and rip ANY game to shreds. Its very easy to do. Its next to impossible to get 5 million+ current subscribers for a MMO game.

What he's trying to say is that everything that sells a lot doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. Financially a success yes but that doesn't imply anything except that there's a large amount of people that like it.

The Spears analogy was fine, you could replace it with any of the BS hip-hop/pop/boyband crap out there. Selling a lot of records doesn't imply a large amount of talent *cough*Ashley Simpson*cough*

Just because many people think something is good, that doesn't mean it is. Just like how if someone's opinion is that WoW sucks that doesn't mean it's true either.

Yes, WoW is successful and Blizzard knew what they were doing when they made it. But that in no way implies that it's a good game. I don't really care if its 5 million or 50 million people playing it, that doesn't imply it's a good game. If anything that implies addiction.

I dont care what the game is if you have to PAY to PLAY then it automatically SUX and IMHO all those MMPORGS are about as fun as surgery to me. I simply hate them. The other thing about WoW is the rather impressional age that probably have the players are, making it the "Kewl" game to play and they make their damn parents pay for the garbage to boot.

I was a SWG player for the longest time, I had a pre-cu Jedi, I loved the community and what not. It was just cool to go to the cantina and talk to the dancers as they gave you a mind buff. The whole thing I liked about SWG was the sandbox nature, you didn't have to be combat to be sucessful in game, you could open a business and make food and make MILLIONS (I did this :D).

Then the NGE came and was a carbon copy of WoW, I quit....it was too dumbed down and too repetitive for me. (There used to be 32 profession choices, you could change whenever you wanted and you could have different combos (Fencer, TK, some doctor etc, and you could change it if you didn't like the profession. ) the "new game enhancements" boiled it down to 9 "iconic" professions. Didn't like your profession? Too bad, delete your char and make a new one.

Hell I even tried WoW for a month because my friend bought it for me to try and force me to play...let me just say I HATE quests, I'd rather kill **** to level up. "Bring the king's socks to the dryer so he can wear then again tomorrow: reward 5xp and a button" give me a break. The game is addictive to so many people because you have to work at the pvp, I know one friend of mine who I tried to get to play a game with me said "Oh I can't, I gotta grind out 20K pvp points so I can keep my level, WoW just takes too much time, sorry"

I know I'm starting to get repetitive but the game just changes people, I used to be able to get on Ventrilo with some buddies of mine who played SWG, they would help you out whenever you needed it, we'd laugh and joke on vent and just hang out together in game. When they got WoW it became THEIR LIFE (no they aren't kids, most are in their 30s+). I couldn't go on vent and talk because they were too busy playing BattleGrounds or questing, and when I played WoW with them since I was a low level I was left out because they were always PVPing. The game just has a dark aura about it, everyone that plays it is so immersed it's all they care about.....

I will definatly say, WoW more then anything, has changed the PC gaming industry. Especialy when you start hearing dev's saying "As long as there is room for more WoW, we will start making games". Sadly, I find that rather pathetic.

And I also agree, the analogy was very good, just becuase alot of people play it, doesnt mean its all that good.

Back