• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why WoW sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rattle said:
I dont care what the game is if you have to PAY to PLAY then it automatically SUX and IMHO all those MMPORGS are about as fun as surgery to me. I simply hate them. The other thing about WoW is the rather impressional age that probably have the players are, making it the "Kewl" game to play and they make their damn parents pay for the garbage to boot.

While I don't agree with your whole post, I do mostly agree with point #1 (although whether the actual gameplay sucks or not is subjective from game to game). For the life of me, I can't grasp the concept of pay-to-play games. I will certainly admit, the companies pulling this off are seriously genious. To get someone to pay market price for a game, and then pay another $15 per month for the right to play it is mind boggling. Depending on the amount of time an individual has to play on a daily basis, the time it takes to reach an rpg end-game could reach into hundreds of dollars.

Now as for WoW itself, I'ld have to say if people are playing it for more than the trial period, it must have some pretty good gameplay to keep people paying for it. What I'ld really like to see are player demographic stats from all MMO's combined. It would be interesting to find out what the percentages are of adults vs. self-paying teens vs. younger kids, whose parents just found a $15 a month babysitter.

just because you dont like it does not make it a bad game. WoW is a quality game, whether people like it or not. It is complex, large, intuitive, competetive, and has a great learning curve. The fun part is just the added bonus. If it were not a quality "good" game, then people would not play it. But just cause you dont like it, does not make it a bad game.

XxNightfirexX said:
While I don't agree with your whole post, I do mostly agree with point #1 (although whether the actual gameplay sucks or not is subjective from game to game). For the life of me, I can't grasp the concept of pay-to-play games. I will certainly admit, the companies pulling this off are seriously genious. To get someone to pay market price for a game, and then pay another $15 per month for the right to play it is mind boggling. Depending on the amount of time an individual has to play on a daily basis, the time it takes to reach an rpg end-game could reach into hundreds of dollars.

Now as for WoW itself, I'ld have to say if people are playing it for more than the trial period, it must have some pretty good gameplay to keep people paying for it. What I'ld really like to see are player demographic stats from all MMO's combined. It would be interesting to find out what the percentages are of adults vs. self-paying teens vs. younger kids, whose parents just found a $15 a month babysitter.

you pay taxes to live in this country dont you? why not convert to judaism and move to germany where it is tax free if you are jewish? :beer:

Hmm problem is that many people have used WOW as a social network (as with any MMO, it is just that WOW is the most popular) rather than actually seeing people in the real world.

That is a little worrying. From one viewpoint it could be said to be simply a more entertaining msn messenger, on the flip side it could be said to be damaging to ones' friendships and relationships. From my experience it has been the latter. I would liken it to a myspace on interactive steroids rather than an actual game.

WOW works because it has an addictive formula (for some). This has all been carefully worked out by Blizzard, so one level doesn't seem to far from the next, or you can get an item if you work just that little bit harder. This game is primarily a money maker through the exploitation of addictive personalities :D, because most people who play it, play it far more than they would any other game.

Neural Net said:
Prodigious, I did not nullify my argument, I said in a sense, i.e. it could be interpreted as a sport, but it isn't one. Please, read a dictionary.

In CS you do not level up. WOW is based upon this principle, and PvP is not the main focus of WOW. It doesn't matter if you pay for WOW, within the game itself you must work for items, you took the argument there slightly out of context.

Gratification? Sure, when you apply that extremely broad definition to the argument then anything falls under your category. I suppose sex is work for you?

The repetition is a minor part, the main part of WOW is that one must perform certain monotonous tasks in order to progress. There is no progression of this sort in CS, HL2, Far Cry etc.

Of course, in your definition anything is work. Which is an anal-rententive Marxist approach, WOW is altogether different from HL2 etc and not being able to see that is a little worrying. It is based upon a work ethic, FPS games are not, simple.

Don't take my post personally, but if WOW becomes the most popular game genre, then all good games will quickly disappear.

Either way your definition of work is no different from any other game. You say:
Work. WOW is based upon work, you do not play, you merely press buttons in repetitive combinations in order to level up or earn a new weapons etc.

which I don't seem to find that different than any other MMO or really any other game. The game provides you with gratification (items/leveling) for pushing buttons, a job provides you with money for doing a task, CS provides you with money and higher ranks on the server (as does just about every other FPS -- if you play multiplayer -- which WoW is). The fact of the matter is that any game can be considered work as you try to become better and practice more at it. By defining the difference between genres, and even saying "wow is a genre" in one of your previous posts is splitting hairs and just doesn't make sense.

Fact is most other games have a far more interactive environment and are not based upon fighting (for the most part) computer AI online. It is different, perhaps you fail to see this because you can't be bothered to analyze it further and stick with a basic definition. :bang head

Not everything in life is work. Gaining money and rank in CS is for most secondary to the actual experience and main purpose of the game, in WOW it is the primary. When you play BF2 for example, are you always thinking of your rank and what weapons you want to unlock, or are you thinking of shooting the next bad guy, getting that tank/helicopter and having some fun? Chances are leveling up is on your mind when you play WOW far more than it is when you play BF2. The game is designed to be addictive because it escalates (even the expansion pack it designed to do that).

Also, the fact that it is a popular game in terms of numbers is insignificant. One example: More people read Tabloids as opposed to Broadsheets, would you say that therefore Tabloids are better newspapers? Of course not. The same applies to everything else. :beer:

Neural Net said:
Fact is most other games have a far more interactive environment and are not based upon fighting (for the most part) computer AI online. It is different, perhaps you fail to see this because you can't be bothered to analyze it further and stick with a basic definition. :bang head

Not everything in life is work. Gaining money and rank in CS is for most secondary to the actual experience and main purpose of the game, in WOW it is the primary. When you play BF2 for example, are you always thinking of your rank and what weapons you want to unlock, or are you thinking of shooting the next bad guy, getting that tank/helicopter and having some fun? Chances are leveling up is on your mind when you play WOW far more than it is when you play BF2. The game is designed to be addictive because it escalates (even the expansion pack it designed to do that).

Also, the fact that it is a popular game in terms of numbers is insignificant. One example: More people read Tabloids as opposed to Broadsheets, would you say that therefore Tabloids are better newspapers? Of course not. The same applies to everything else. :beer:
Actually yes, when I played BF2 I would stive to unlock my awards/weapons/rank and not necessarily about the 'next bad guy' as the two are completely intertwined... just like in WoW. BF2 is a great analogy for WoW, it has levels, ranking up, unlocks, and more stuff -- which is only escalated by the expansion/booster packs that come out...thanks.

Interactive environment? I fail to see how that has anything to do with how a game is work or not.

And I never once said that WoW was better than Eve or whatever, just because more people play it doesn't make it better than another game, it just shows that it is successful, and probably for a reason (and for those people - the vast majority of MMO players) that it is a good game [by looking at the amounts of players].

Mooyo said:
The analogy stands. Heck, I hate the Beetles. Does that mean I'm right? Absolutely not. Do I think people who like the Beetles are idiots? Absolutely not.

The analogy can even go the other way. Vai's music is technically, in a musical sense, much more thought out than sayyy Greenday. Does that mean that as a musician he makes "better" music? Absolutely not. It's all an opinion, all in the eye of the beholder.

Said that in my post.

ps the thread title is "why WoW sucks" not why I think it sucks or IMO it sucks. A general statement that the author was trying to prove with the initial post.

A. I never said people who like it are blind or stupid. B. I agreed that the game is very sucessful.

No, there doesn't have to be anything tangible and measureable. I don't believe the game is good, it's successful but I don't see it as good. Popularity and ratings really don't mean a thing other than the people who play it like it and Blizzard is getting richer by the day. Popularity and ratings =/= good. To the people who play, it's a good game. To those that don't like the game, it isn't. It's an opinion. Good is an opinion; there's no right or wrong.

Like someone else said, this thread is pointless. It's all opinions and I'm pulling out. You don't measure "goodness" for the lack of a better term.

We all know what opinions are like and I'm not argueing yours is any different or isn't valid to you. I am argueing facts and measurable numbers which have nothing to do with your opinion and also pointing out large flaws in analogies.

It is pointless to debate opinion and that is why I said, "ps if someone says popularity and ratings don't mean anything then tell me what does and it needs to be tangible and measurable." Your opinion = 0 and popularity/ratings mean something so you discount them and play the "opinion" card.

If you want to talk about opinion than we have nothing to say, but if you want to back up the gerneral statement that "WoW sucks" then bring something to the table.

OC Noob said:
We all know what opinions are like and I'm not argueing yours is any different or isn't valid to you. I am argueing facts and measurable numbers which have nothing to do with your opinion and also pointing out large flaws in analogies.

It is pointless to debate opinion and that is why I said, "ps if someone says popularity and ratings don't mean anything then tell me what does and it needs to be tangible and measurable." Your opinion = 0 and popularity/ratings mean something so you discount them and play the "opinion" card.

If you want to talk about opinion than we have nothing to say, but if you want to back up the gerneral statement that "WoW sucks" then bring something to the table.
Exactly what I was saying before, people are not seeming to get opinions don't matter. How much the game has sold is one of the only things that can be proven. If you want to go off opinions though which seems like you do, then lets go off opinions of people payed to rate games.

Gamespy: 5 Starts
IGN: 9.1
Game Rankings: 92
GameSpot: 9.5

Of course they just got these based of people liking Blizzard correct?

Last edited:
Janus67 said:
Actually yes, when I played BF2 I would stive to unlock my awards/weapons/rank and not necessarily about the 'next bad guy' as the two are completely intertwined... just like in WoW. BF2 is a great analogy for WoW, it has levels, ranking up, unlocks, and more stuff -- which is only escalated by the expansion/booster packs that come out...thanks.

Interactive environment? I fail to see how that has anything to do with how a game is work or not.

And I never once said that WoW was better than Eve or whatever, just because more people play it doesn't make it better than another game, it just shows that it is successful, and probably for a reason (and for those people - the vast majority of MMO players) that it is a good game [by looking at the amounts of players].

Janus the latter part of my post was in reply to someone else who said a good game is measured by success, sorry I didn't separate my post properly.

When I play BF2 I think about the ranks, for sure, but you have to admit the very beginning of starting a character in WOW is repetitive - as you have limited weapons. I know this is to create a learning curve, however, in BF2 when you count every weapon in the game, the unlocks are minor additions, most of the content is there at the beginning.

Blizzard is milking those who like the Power Rangers mode of gaming - getting better stuff, rather than starting out with most if not all the items straight away. BF2 is a sandbox game, with the addition of unlock-able weapons, it is not a leveling game like WOW. CS is not a leveling game, it is a sandbox game. They are all very different from WOW. WOW has very linear gameplay compared to say HL2 because you can't interact with the environment which means there is less choice and therefore less variation in the gameplay. :beer:

In short I respect your opinion, but WOW is not a game designed around fun and play, it is designed around work, do this to get this. :)

Neural Net said:
In short I respect your opinion, but WOW is not a game designed around fun and play, it is designed around work, do this to get this. :)
That's called objective oriented. And it is the play style of a many games including many of what are considered the all time greats.

Neural Net said:

Leveling doesnt have to be your primary goal in WoW, hell there are people who keep character at level 19 to just play in the battle grounds, they arent interested in leveling them up to 60 or getting the best loot....

deathBOB said:
Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and they all stink.

I don't agree your opinion stinks IMO!

long rant post +1

Who cares if other people think the game you play stinks, there is always someone who is bound to disagree with you. As long as you are having fun who gives a crap, you will have fun in WoW and he will have fun doing something else that is not WoW. Both people should be happy that they dont have to talk to each other.

Also games are what you make of them just because you play a game a certain way doesn't mean everyone and their brother will too, nor does it mean any playstyle/build is inferior, as they say "to each his own". This is a good thing otherwise everyone who played WoW would be the same character and the game really would suck.

Da** internet always bringing people together and creating group polarization, but then again thats what makes it fun.

I wonder if Amish people have the same problem..

gotta love forums!

Last edited:
WoW could've been better. I soon stopped playing WoW after getting my mount at lvl 40 rogue. Just not worth spending my time.

First I pretty much agree with everything the Orginal poster said.
Though My biggest issue with the game is the fact wow I can run across the whole world of Azeroth, but I have no influence on the world?

Whats the point of sneaking into other Factions Cities when you cant effect anything in them?

Why the hell are the battlegrounds seperate from real terrain?
There should be massive battlefields between Such and such (Forgot the names after not playing for a couple of months). Cities should be able to be taken.

To me this WoW experience differs greatly from the feel of orginal RTS games. A clan of people working collectively together to win against an enemy. However here people just run around doing whatever they want, without Sacrifice or Punishment.

To me that is so unreal, there is nothing to gain from this.
Hell I can see MMOs as great entertainment as well as a great teacher of learning how to function in a socity.

Kurz said:
WoW could've been better. I soon stopped playing WoW after getting my mount at lvl 40 rogue. Just not worth spending my time.

First I pretty much agree with everything the Orginal poster said.
Though My biggest issue with the game is the fact wow I can run across the whole world of Azeroth, but I have no influence on the world?

Whats the point of sneaking into other Factions Cities when you cant effect anything in them?

Why the hell are the battlegrounds seperate from real terrain?
There should be massive battlefields between Such and such (Forgot the names after not playing for a couple of months). Cities should be able to be taken.

To me this WoW experience differs greatly from the feel of orginal RTS games. A clan of people working collectively together to win against an enemy. However here people just run around doing whatever they want, without Sacrifice or Punishment.

To me that is so unreal, there is nothing to gain from this.
Hell I can see MMOs as great entertainment as well as a great teacher of learning how to function in a socity.

Ummm it could be due to the fact that on the majority of servers alliance out number horde bout 3 to 1, so how would that be fair?

Why has this thread gotten this long? If you play the game then you play the game. If you don't, then you don't play the game. I always knew conversations involving religion and sports would go on forever. Is it going to have to include WoW now?

Back