• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why WoW sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some people need to calm down and take a step back. I'd rather not see this turn into a flame war. That would be bad.

'cause then the red mist descends over my eyes, the banhammer starts swingin', and I usually never know when it will stop.

Oni said:
Some people need to calm down and take a step back. I'd rather not see this turn into a flame war. That would be bad.

'cause then the red mist descends over my eyes, the banhammer starts swingin', and I usually never know when it will stop.

I like the way you put that threat in comedic form. It was funny :D

But I know, you are right. I promise to ignore anyone that upsets me as much as gongo did, because if I don't, then I would be putting my very membership here at risk :(

soundfx4: I would like to question it actually. Numbers seem a bit high but possible, though the main thing I find odd is you claim to be to lazy to research the actual numbers yet you said "I spoke with a bandwidth.com representative to get this roughly estimated price;" which appears to me to be decently non lazy. Mainly though feel like annoying you haha.

Edward78: Your opinion on Battlegrounds is of course very valid, though the numbers you posted are not. I will admit I was on a rather small server (Draka) though according to the /who command there was hardly ever over 2k people on at a time(Not 10k). Even if there was 10k people though there are not only 3 Battlegrounds, because firstly Battlegrounds change every 10 lvls. So that would be 3 for 6 groups, though not every group has 3 the lowers only have 1 or 2. Still though I will admit that's a lot of people. Though if many were playing BGs there would be more games going on as there is no limit to how many can go on at a time. For isntance on my server there would be usually 1 game on the weekdays per Battleground, though on a Battlground weekend there would be as many as 6 games per Battleground simply because more people were playing. Anyway I played on the Horde side and never waited more then 30 minutes for a Battleground, I heard Allaince have to wait much longer which may be why you waited so long.

tenchi86 said:
soundfx4: I would like to question it actually. Numbers seem a bit high but possible, though the main thing I find odd is you claim to be to lazy to research the actual numbers yet you said "I spoke with a bandwidth.com representative to get this roughly estimated price;" which appears to me to be decently non lazy. Mainly though feel like annoying you haha.

lol, well that is the only thing I actually went through the trouble to get a real estimate on. The rest I just guessed to the best of my ability.

Which numbers seam a little high? The expenses? Or the amount of money they are taking in from subscribers? I tried to make the expenses higher then I actually thought they might be, for the exception of the fiber pipe estimate. But the amount of money they are taking in from subscribers is simply based on the 5 million subscribers that I last heard they had. But of course some of those subscribers are paying 12 a month in yearly subscriptions, so that amount I gave for gross income is probably too high. I also might mention that the 5 million subscribers has likely changed; as to weather or not that number has grown or shrunk I have no idea. :shrug:

But trust me, I am definitely lazy; I'll just get these bursts of inspiration every once and a while which leads me to start things, and never finish them...unless of course the thing I started only takes like 5 minutes...IE talking to a bandwidth.com representative :beer:

Last edited:
Yeah I am pretty lazy myself or I would look it up haha. Anyway the part I meant looked high was the monthly income. I see your math and from a quick overlook it looked fine, though 65 million a month seems almost impossible for a game, not to mention a game that will keep that up for years.

About the price of WoW...it's not really a rip-off...I mean it's a fair price, you can play as much as you want for 15 a month. That's pretty awesome.

If WoW had 100 subscribers and charged 100 dollars a month, they would only make 10,000 a month...well jeeze that's a small number so 100 a month is not a rip-off at all (kinda see how your logic isn't really accurate?)

supply-demand....they supply to the demand and could probably charge more! but by keeping the masses happy they ensure thier popularity and thus thier future releases will be met with more enthuisism...so it's just smart marketing.

I already posted my reasons for being turned off by MMORPG's...so I won't do it again, you can search for my post!

ajrettke said:
About the price of WoW...it's not really a rip-off...I mean it's a fair price, you can play as much as you want for 15 a month. That's pretty awesome.

If WoW had 100 subscribers and charged 100 dollars a month, they would only make 10,000 a month...well jeeze that's a small number so 100 a month is not a rip-off at all (kinda see how your logic isn't really accurate?)

supply-demand....they supply to the demand and could probably charge more! but by keeping the masses happy they ensure thier popularity and thus thier future releases will be met with more enthuisism...so it's just smart marketing.

I already posted my reasons for being turned off by MMORPG's...so I won't do it again, you can search for my post!

well I know what you mean, but still, it's too much money. That's just corporate America for ya...and I HATE corporate America :mad:

examples:

cables that cost 1 dollar to make being sold for 30

Plasma TVs that ALL cost the same to make yet one is 5,000 and another 20,000 because one has more features :rolleyes:

Cheap electronics that literally cost a few dollars to make being sold for 90% profit

The whole thing ****es me off, and the fact that people just let these companies get away with all this makes me even more mad. The real sad thing is that I would be willing to pay 15 a month for WoW, and that ****es me off more then anything in the world.

This is just one of the things in a large list of things that **** me off to no end. I'm a very angry person full of hatred and jealousy. Actors, actresses, and singers; doing half the work of the common working man but making thousands of times more money then the hard working person! Same thing with CEOs, and board of directors! These type of things fuel an unbelievable anger inside me that there are simply no words to describe.

I also might add that I hate that people worship actors and actresses and at the same time are giving all their money away to these actors that don't need the money in exchange for a little bit of entertainment.

I don't know what's wrong with me, this stuff shouldn't bother me, but it goes beyond bothering me, and reaches a level that nothing should ever reach. :(

Heh, I don't want to turn this into an economics discussion...BUT!
the cost to produce isn't that much, VERY true. But the R+D and risk of producing a product are costly.
If 100,000 cables are made at 1 dollar a piece and 1000 are sold at 30 bucks, how much money was made?

It is frustrating I know, but if you step back and look at it from a marketers perspective...imagine being the guy that makes 1000 widgets at 10 bucks each and tries to sell them at 15 to be "nice" but only sells 500!

World of Warcraft can be pricey, though I does not always work out that way. I bought the game for 20 bucks with one month free, and probably played 4 months in total. Which comes out to be slightly more then a new game, though the game is not something that would have lasted me that long. Infact WoW probably saved me money because I had no time to buy other games.

-Rant
Also those products like cables have setup fees even if they only cost 1 doller to make you have to factor in the other cost. Anyway though I do agree things could be improved, I believe greed is honestly one of the best things to happen to us. It is what has driven us into the world of technology we are, if everyone shared and had no reason to try and work and create we would be still be drawing on rocks.

soundfx4 said:
what are you talking about? :confused: Those numbers are very logical. That is all completely within reason!

Don't make me get the real stats, because if you all upset me enough, I just might do that.

PLEASE don't upset me enough, I REALLY don't want to try and get the real statistics, I am a super lazy person :(

you forgot to take out taxes.. and blizzard has well over 200 people.

Also blizzard isnt the only company in on this deal, they have a publisher that they need to pay.

Janus67 said:
I don't understand what you mean at the end of your second paragraph speaking of (if other MMO's started charging), because they do charge (on average) about $15 a month as well...

oh, and I agree, it isn't a ripoff at all, although if it was $10, $5, or $0 a month would I complain? no, but I take it that they patch things and fix problems with their weekly updates that it is worth paying for instead of getting 1 patch to fix a major crashing bug in 2 months as happens in some other games from different developers.

Oh i was just refering to MMO's that dont charge to play.. the ones that have no real patch or tech support, and the ones that have cheaters running rampant.. I mean we all remember what happens to a game like Diablo when duping was at it's all time peak.

SOUNDFX4: your entire post is about how they make too much money which is pretty ignorant. if you ever run your own business the goal is to make money.. the market of 15/month is what is easily supplied. Software is especially vulnerable to being pushed out by some new game. or maybe you thought the 5 years it took to make this were without costs?

Exxon and every other oil company made record gains in the BILLIONS for 1 quarter of business. I bet you still buy gas and drive a car.

*Edit.. so i checked my PM's and this was just too good to not repost.. although I edited the curse words.. thanks soundfx4.. you're really a pro in my book.

I'm not even going to argue with someone as stupid as you, although you did **** me off big time, so all I can only do is hope that you die, and once you die, I will **** on your grave, and spit on your tombstone.

have a nice day you f***king c**k sucker.

Last edited:
Falcon-K said:
you forgot to take out taxes.. and blizzard has well over 200 people.

Also blizzard isnt the only company in on this deal, they have a publisher that they need to pay.

I knew I had to of forget some things, oh well :shrug:

Are you sure blizzard has over 200 employees? I mean, I used to think these game development companies had thousands of employees, but a lot of the times I find out they only have a handful, and it is really surprising. Do you happen to know how many employees blizzard actually does have?

Last edited:
ajrettke said:
Heh, I don't want to turn this into an economics discussion...BUT!
the cost to produce isn't that much, VERY true. But the R+D and risk of producing a product are costly.
If 100,000 cables are made at 1 dollar a piece and 1000 are sold at 30 bucks, how much money was made?

It is frustrating I know, but if you step back and look at it from a marketers perspective...imagine being the guy that makes 1000 widgets at 10 bucks each and tries to sell them at 15 to be "nice" but only sells 500!

yeah...I guess :( I just hate paying for something that didn't cost cost even half of what I'm paying. Now I'm just depressed because I know this will never change...:cry:

tenchi86 said:
World of Warcraft can be pricey, though I does not always work out that way. I bought the game for 20 bucks with one month free, and probably played 4 months in total. Which comes out to be slightly more then a new game, though the game is not something that would have lasted me that long. Infact WoW probably saved me money because I had no time to buy other games.

-Rant
Also those products like cables have setup fees even if they only cost 1 doller to make you have to factor in the other cost. Anyway though I do agree things could be improved, I believe greed is honestly one of the best things to happen to us. It is what has driven us into the world of technology we are, if everyone shared and had no reason to try and work and create we would be still be drawing on rocks.

setup fees? What exactly are you talking about? When I worked at best buy I bought 30 dollar cables for 3 and 5 bucks. That wouldn't leave much room for the manufacture to make a lot of money if the cables cost any more then a dollar to make.

nah...we'd have paper by now :beer: but seriously, I don't think what you said about greed is entirely true. While it does make since in a way, greed is the desire for lots of money, and it is not necessary, or easy to make a lot of money by creating new technologies. That is the hardest way to make an *** load of money, and greedy people want a lot of money for not a lot of work...

HOWEVER

it really could go either way though, and in fact, now that I think about it, what you said does make since.

Back