• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 "Libraries"... Should I disable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Convicted1

Hey guys...

Looking for some input on something I've been considering for awhile.

I'm NOT a fan of the "Libraries" feature of Windows 7... I'm an organization freak, and I just like to know exactly where my files are at all times.

Is there any reason I should attempt to get used to the "Libraries" feature, or do the majority of you feel as I do that this is just more of a pain than it's worth?

Thanks for the input...

-David

I like it - I've set my video library to include 5 2TB drives on my HTPC, so I can see all my movies within a single explorer folder. Doesn't really matter, as I use XBMC, but its nice if I want to work with the files in explorer without bouncing through 5 drives to find the movie I'm looking for.

You can go into the properties to configure which folders are included in the library, as well as which location by default new files are saved to within the library.

Doesn't hurt to turn it off though. Seeing your preferences, it may make sense to disable it. Only real benefit to me is if you want multiple drives/folders to show up as a single folder.

I use the Libraries feature extensively. I see it more as a base for compiling a bunch of folders in one spot. Sort of like a quick jump. Since I have like 15 Libraries containing links to over a 100 folders. It makes sense to me. Which a majority are on my home server via mapped drives.

I still use manual typing and symlinks to get to the spots I want to go. Sometimes it makes it very simple to compile a bunch of files and folders into a bundle. I have a Library for some other machines in my network. Which is nice kinda. Since it is fewer clicks overall to get to the machine over the LAN. For example - I have the desktop of my wife's machine as a Library. I can drop files directly to her desktop via the feature. Which is nice sharing links I run across or pics I drop and drag off the internet. With very few clicks.

One of the huge hassles about Libraries. Is the fact. If you do not index, for the particular target. It becomes a chore to manually symlink the folders out. Especially on a networked folder/drive. In most cases. You might be waiting for the quick index also. Which usually only happens after a long idle or suspend/powering down.

I would suggest. Try and take full advantage of the feature for a test run. Then make your mind up if it works for your particular usage. When I first got into Windows 7. I thought the feature was a bust. Being a trooper. I gave it a shot and thought, not to bad.

Last edited:
These are the exact kinds of responses I needed...

I guess I've just had a hard time finding the usefullness of it.

I'll go ahead and give learning it a shot...

Another thing I'm not at all fond of is the way that Start Menu Folders are linked to several different places... "All Users", "Default Users", And of course the Individual User Accounts.

The problem comes with the fact that I don't want ALL users to have access to ALL the programs installed on the machine...

To fix that... Every time I install a new piece of software that doesn't have the option to install only for this user (very few do)... I have to go move that program from the "All Users" and "Default User" Start Menu Folders, to mine alone.

It's just a pain in the rump.

To make it easier adding files to a Library.

Right click the targeted folder or drive. Select "Include in library" Or even create a new one in the flyout. I find this easier than using the Library explorer ribbon "New Library"

To fire off a second instance of your libraries. Just middle click the library icon on the task bar.

I have the same issue with start menu items. Since I run as a limited user most the time. (I just will not run my machine as an admin. Unless I have a need to elevate the privileges. That is a legacy habit of mine, from using Linux.)
I want access to my menu items. Categorized and neatly organized. Seems some go in shared user, some in the logged on user.

That would be a great use for libraries actually. Which is what I do to get around the issue. I have the start menus all set up. Then when I do my picky organize thing. It's just a (drag and drop) click. Instead of typing out the address or making deep link clicks. Having all the associated folders ready in a bundled library.

Here is the proper way to manhandle the Start menu.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938774.aspx

Last edited:
Alright... I've been playing with these "Libraries".

I can definitely understand the appeal now!

It's gonna take some getting used to, but I think once I do I'll be very happy with leaving them enabled.

The one curiousity I've found... When viewing them in Explorer... The "Music" library acts differently than the others. When you click on it... It actually displays each location seperately. Whereas the others show all the contents of each added location mashed into one.

If I could figure out how to make them ALL display like the Music Library... That'd be awesome!

If you add more than one unique location. It will start to separate them. With the ability to collapse each as you like. (I have all the locations collapsed.)

In the properties dialog for each Library. There is a check marked location. This is the primary save location. There is a selection button to set which one you would like to use.
You can drag and drop locations. Within this dialog to easily sort the view inside the library. Which will help with the first displayed and so on.

In this screenshot. You might notice in blue, 5 Locations. This helps make it easier to manage your locations. While in the library itself. Your millage will vary on this number. Due to how many locations your using. (I created Random library with 5 locations.)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
If you add more than one unique location. It will start to separate them. With the ability to collapse each as you like. (I have all the locations collapsed.)

In the properties dialog for each Library. There is a check marked location. This is the primary save location. There is a selection button to set which one you would like to use.
You can drag and drop locations. Within this dialog to easily sort the view inside the library. Which will help with the first displayed and so on.

In this screenshot. You might notice in blue, 5 Locations. This helps make it easier to manage your locations. While in the library itself. Your millage will vary on this number. Due to how many locations your using. (I created Random library with 5 locations.)

OK... That makes perfect sense!

The only Library I added anything to was the default "Music" library...

So if I were to go and add another location to one of the other Libraries... It would then start to display them the same way.... Correct?

BTW - Thanks for all the help!

-David

Yes, as you add (more than one) unique location. It will separate them. Like that cap I shared.

I had to collapse the folders. Since it would of been so much, I would of not shown all the locations. In turn, that it separates them.

I generally place shortcuts to my "Main" folders in the Libraries instead of doing the right-click/"Include in x library" method - seems to keep the library views less cluttered, and opens the shortcut in it's "home" folder instead of staying with the Library type view (not a big deal TBH). I don't use Libraries all that much, but they do work...

I'm more of an organizational freak like Convicted1 :)

Back