• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 stuck at welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intellijel

This is the second time this has happened to me:

I left my computer on and at some point it crashed. When I try to boot I get past the login and then it is stuck on the Welcome screen forever. If I boot into safemode I can the system running.

The last time I had this issue none of restore points or windows built in repair features worked. I ended up re-formatting my HD and re-installing. It has only been a few weeks and again I am back at the same issue.

At this point I do not know what to do. I ran memtest86+ and found no errors. Chkdsk passes as well.

Any clues? What hardware might be the culprit or is this a driver/os issue?

System:
Windows 7 64but home edition
Asus Commando Mobo
Intel Centrino 2 Quad Core Q6600
Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Nvidia Geforece 8500GT
OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800

I had that problem on a couple of Win 7 installations. In my case, what took care of it was reinstalling motherboard drivers then uninstalling and reinstalling video card drivers. You may need to use a drivers cleaning utility such as Driver Sweeper to clean out the 'old' video card drivers.

Mine has done this too,actually it was with no video drivers,I uninstalled them to update them,and went into safe mode to run driver cleaner,rebooted and it would not go passed welcome,I rebooted again F8 and on that list is use low resolution,something like that,and it booted,i added my new drivers and all is good..

what is ram specification or it may be due to bad clusters in your hardddisk.
it may be the one of the reasons

Before you read on to some problem solving issue below, how are your temps on the system? Are you overclocked? What are your settings if you are? Running any programs that may stress the CPU/GPU constantly?

I recently had the same problem of being stuck at the Windows Startup screen after logging in after installing RivaTuner and setting the Fan Control profile to apply at Windows startup. Uninstalled RivaTuner and all was fine. Used RivaTuner without anything set to apply @ startup, and all was fine.

Have you installed anything before that crash, whether it was drivers or a program? Did you change any options in a program that would have the program or some other task run at startup?

Type "msconfig" in the search bar and disable everything in the Startup tab. If you can boot normally into Windows with everything disabled in the Startup tab of msconfig, then its some program in the Startup tab causing the problem. Enable them one at a time and reboot, till you're no longer able to boot into Windows normally and that would be your culprit. Either install the program (lots of programs can install over itself to "repair" damaged files by replacing them with the originals) or uninstall the program and reinstall again.

If you still can't bootup normally even with everything in the Startup tab of msconfig disabled, then the problem is some hardware device driver (possibly corrupted or maybe the device itself[?]). This would take some time, but disable any non-essential devices not necessary for your computer to run (any USB device drivers is a good place to start, Fireware drivers, sound card, mouse/keyboard drivers such as those by Logitech, game controllers, RAID drivers if the drives attached are not needed for bootup purposes, etc), and then try to boot normally into Windows. If it works, then some hardware device and/or driver is the cause. Re-enable each device/driver one by one and reboot in between each item until you're no longer able to reboot normally. That last device would be your culprit. Uninstall the drivers and either let Windows reinstall the drivers automatically or install the drivers yourself. If you can't reboot again, then the drivers being used for the install are corrupt as well, or the hardware device itself is the problem. Try a different driver version (older or newer) and see if the problem persist. If it does, then the hardware device most likely is the problem.

I left my computer on and at some point it crashed. When I try to boot I get past the login and then it is stuck on the Welcome screen forever. If I boot into safemode I can the system running.

Use the boot DVD to enter the repair console. Log onto your windows location and then run:

chkdsk /p

repeat that until it returns no errors.

reboot

If that doesn't fix the problem, then run:

chkdsk /r (takes a long time to run)

fixboot

again reboot.

Normally these situations are corrupt files that can easily be fixed by windows.

Back