• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Judging an OS on FPS performance alone is a pretty narrow metric. Given the dominance consoles have in the overall market, the gaming segment is unlikely to be a strong determining factor in the success or failure of Windows 8.

The consoles? They run on ancient technology which has been made during the invention of 64 bit. Guess oldest console on the market is already 7 years of age. Imagine how it would feel having a 7 year old PC and then compare it with a new one. But its the reality, PCs cant anymore compete as a gamer system, and at some point i go ask myself if i do need a Win OS at all because the other OS are free and doesnt cost me half the price of a upper midrange card (and without activation hassle). On top of that they can do the same when i stop gaming on PC. So i do consider Win a gamer OS, thats clear to me. The only thing holding me back from going Linux right away is my lack on knowledge, im simply to dumb. However, next gen i go with Linux on 2 machines at least (those i dont need for gaming) and can save up 300 bucks, thats the price of a good graphic card (so i get the GPU for my gamer PC for free). That Win OS cost surely is a headache when i need several of them.

Last edited:
Judging an OS on FPS performance alone is a pretty narrow metric. Given the dominance consoles have in the overall market, the gaming segment is unlikely to be a strong determining factor in the success or failure of Windows 8.
QFT. :thup:

Is it for me? I would not even trade a cookie in exchange for Win 8, i got no interest and the performance is of no concern to me. I just said that i consider Win a gamer OS thats all...

Windows does so much more than that... but really, this is not a rabbit hole I want to go down with you. :)

Still wonder what you use it for apart from gaming. Because i want to know if another OS can take over that task. Its a juicy price for something i may not need.

Last edited:
Its a juicy price for something i may not need.

That's a point you've made quite clearly. Others, however, have different needs. Creative professionals who depend on Adobe CS6, for example, cannot use Linux so use either Windows or Mac. Those with an eye for value typically choose Windows. For this rather large group of relatively affluent individuals, Windows 8 offers many compelling features, most of which have been described previously in this thread.

Still wonder what you use it for apart from gaming. Because i want to know if another OS can take over that task. Its a juicy price for something i may not need.

As said, already, and there are plenty more applications linux cant run.

the reason its so cheap is because it failed for desktop pc, its good for touch screens only

the reason its so cheap is because it failed for desktop pc, its good for touch screens only

I'd hardly classify 40 million sales in the first month as a "failure"; not to mention that the statement is a bit premature. Also, the pricing was set well before release, is a limited time offer, and applies only to upgrades.

Furthermore, all of our production machines and 25 customers are currently using it on PCs in the field without a single complaint. In fact, the vast majority have grown to love it after getting used to the UI changes and/or installing 3rd-party apps to enhance UI functionality. This reflects the overall reportage of adopters in this forum. This would give strong credence to the assertion that it's also an excellent desktop OS.

Last edited:
Those sales are from company's that buy bulk. and forcing people to have it when you get a new pc, i bet dell alone got a few million copy's

Those sales are from company's that buy bulk. and forcing people to have it when you get a new pc, i bet dell alone got a few million copy's

Actually, the sales were primarily upgrades. Otherwise, the OEM proportions are no different from any other OS in MS history. The fact remains that sales have outpaced the historic landmark of Windows 7. Please indicate how this is a failure; some links would help to verify your claims.

sorry, I cant link anything because i'm on windows 8 with a bunch of blocks in my face, still looking for that start button, hold on... i found it, its a 3rd party app. anyways I really care less what sales do for microsoft and you, its the fact that it failed to have the options I want. Did they fix the glass transparency yet?

I really do have windows 8 installed and it does feel less productive for a work environment.

Last edited:
As far as I can remember from the RC, the task manager and real-time network transfer were updated and the behavior of the start screen changed. There may be other changes which I've not noticed; I nuked all the RC installs already, so can no longer do a side-by-side.

as hafa said, pricing was decided on before release, people hate windows 8 cause they cant look past metro, the OS is the same as windows 7 once you get past metro.

i guess then you can say OSX last 2 OS's were failures then because they were sold so cheap too.....

...people hate windows 8 cause they cant look past metro, the OS is the same as windows 7 once you get past metro.

This. I've been using Windows 8 and it's starting to become quite familiar to me. Looking past the changing in the start UI, I find the performance to be quite snappy, even compared to Windows 7. When you aren't in the start menu, everything feels the same from Windows 7 to be quite honest.

I'd switch if someone somewhere (hopefully me, in 4 years or so =P, too bad Windows 8 will be long dead by then...) designs a Windows 7 Desktop + start menu with the same organizational features, and disables, completely, the annoying metro desktop, then I'll switch.

Any performance increases are welcome, but at the expense of usability? No.

I can match your silly W8 with a GTX 690.

Lulz.

I've been using Windows 8 on my HTPC for a couple of weeks now and I love it. Metro is a great interface for a TV. I like 8 so much I'm about to upgrade my gaming system to it as well.

Back