• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm sorry for your failure to understand his fundamental argument.
It's obvious you're mad for some whatever reason, but this didn't stop you from latching onto one part of the article like a Florida gator and went with it.

THe new OSX 10.8 works with everything is what i been hearing, i might be giving that a try soon. I didnt have good luck with win8 at all, it felt like a kids toy. whatever not really my problem, ill move on.

If Apple started to let us custom builders use OSX I would likely switch. I can imagine if they did this driver support would not be far behind.

I mean, the custom build gaming/enthusiest market is considerably separate from the prebuilt market. Just because apple lets us use osx does not mean that they will have to start letting companies like dell or HP start making macs.

I'm sorry for your failure to understand his fundamental argument.
It's obvious you're mad for some whatever reason, but this didn't stop you from latching onto one part of the article like a Florida gator and went with it.

Rather than casting aspersions at fellow members, why not provide your interpretation of the fundamental argument along with specific evidence as to why your assertions are correct?

BTW, OneArmedScissor, YGPM; a reply would be considerate.

I have to say, from looking at recent past posts, that someone has an agenda...and its not Hafa. :p

:thup:

Last edited:
I would still be using XP if it weren't for DX10+ incompatibility -_-

Luckily, Windows 7 is much like XP with a flashier GUI. Some things still annoy me, like the lack of the little search doggy that would brighten up my day, and the search settings as well, where you could choose if you wanted to search within files or not, instead of it always being on like with W7.

No w8, wait for w9 when they've learned.

Windows 7 is much like XP with a flashier GUI

There's a whole lot of changes under the hood. Vista on up has an entirely different kernal from XP. From a fundamental operational standpoint, they're as different from XP as XP was from Windows 3.1.

Windows 8 also has significant upgrades to the OS in terms of memory management and overall performance. This is why just about everyone on this forum who's installed 8 and stuck with it are reporting better performance than they experienced with 7.

Some things still annoy me, like the lack of the little search doggy that would brighten up my day.

I really, really hope that you're kidding. I hate that dog with a bloody pasion :censored:

...the search settings as well, where you could choose if you wanted to search within files or not.

You can always turn off indexing if you don't want to search within files. You can also turn indexing on or off for any given directory. As for me, I really enjoy immediate, accurate and thorough search results that use XML and boolean standards, so turn on indexing on all volumes on both the workstation and server.

I test drove the RC/RTM for a week. Win 8 has a few nice things going for it, but I did not find a compelling reason to make the switch from my current Win 7 install. Perhaps I'll give it another go when I have the time. It boots really quickly and installation was painless, but I am not really a fan of the Metro interface. Then again, a week is probably not enough to get a feel for it.

I will try it once it pops up at the campus bookstore.

There's a whole lot of changes under the hood. Vista on up has an entirely different kernal from XP. From a fundamental operational standpoint, they're as different from XP as XP was from Windows 3.1.

Windows 8 also has significant upgrades to the OS in terms of memory management and overall performance. This is why just about everyone on this forum who's installed 8 and stuck with it are reporting better performance than they experienced with 7.

Who cares? If the basic operations that you will use and notice every day, are gone, or more difficult to access (start menu, BIOS, all of that) that pretty much cancels out any gains for me, in any other area. Like an SSD vs. Mechanical.

Or iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5. One more line of apps? No thanks.

I really, really hope that you're kidding. I hate that dog with a bloody pasion

No, I loved that dog. He gave me options! Heh.

I've recently started using Windows 8. At first, I thought that there was no way that I would be able to make the switch but after doing so, I found that things were not really all that different from Windows 7 once I started to get used to the tiles. In Windows 7, I usually just hit the Win key and start typing and since that still works, it isn't that bad for me.

I just installed it on my laptop which I previously ran Debian on, dual booting to Windows 7 which rarely got used. I've yet to re-install grub to my MBR and I am actually considering just blowing away my Linux partition and going with Win8 only. After only about a day and a half, I decided that I would go with Windows 8 on my desktop (which was running Windows 7) as well. I just installed it today and I'm still even more impressed as I dig around.

People do not like change...

People did not like XP when it came out.....look how that turned out..

It is that simple. you can already get past the metro screen with some 3rd party apps so now it is a moot point,.

Most people hate windows 8 for 1 reasn

Metro..

and hey are too short sighted to bother reading about the million other additions to the OS, because those same people thought Vista was nothing more than a new GUI.....too many clueless people in this world.

No, most people hate it because it is an OS designed for touch and most people do not have touch screens. There are already at least two third party start button programs out there and they have been downloaded by millions so far.

Windows 8 would be perfect if only they included the option to include a start button.

The hot corners/charms menu on the side of the screen is just not elegant for a normal desktop user and it's even worse for people with multi-display setups.

I think most people can agree that it offers a lot of improvements under the hood. It's gotten to the point where I almost can't stand people telling how fast it boots up, I get that it's fast but its not like you spend all day restarting your computer.

Eventually I will probably upgrade to win 8 to try it out. But I most likely will install Classic Shell or Start8 to keep the start button.

Last edited:
Having read all the posts in this thread I can see how overclockers has become so popular and grown from strength to strength. I started out computing on TRS 80, people hated it, then they hated IBM, then Sinclair, then MSDOS, which we still have and still hate, then along came the Mac mob, we tolerated them, then Windows, they were never going to get anywhere with that idea. As someone who spends most of his time in front of Photoshop/Lightroom my favourite was Windows NT, no crap just an operating system, now I am using Windows 8, have been for quite a while and like it but if we didn't discuss these systems and like or dislike them we would still be working with 1k of memory, keep it up chaps it is what this site is all about....

What he said.

Actually, I noticed that your mouse will lock into a corner on a multi-monitor setup to bring up the charms so your mouse doesn't go to the 2nd monitor. There is a small dead zone where the mouse does not switch monitors which is nice.

Win 8 isnt mature yet and most software are optimized for Win 7 in mind. On top of that i dont know any special reason to use Win 8 at current time so i surely will pass on that. Its possible that Win 8 will suffer the demise of Vista. Although, Win 8 is superior to Vista but simply pointless when Win 7 can do the same for many years already. If i would be a game dev, i would avoid Win 8 for the same reason they avoided Vista because there is no significant upgrade for gaming at all, its just a new mess to optimize the software for. Prehaps Win 9 may get DX12 and at that time we get a real value. DX12 will probably get added to Win 8 at that time but Win 9 will probably be more mature (moving away from Metro, trying to suit the real machines) so there is no reason to stick with it and devs may not support it (sure it will run but there is not much support for its individual property, because there is close to none).

Sure, another theory could be that Win 8 may be partially upgraded to higher versions but i dont truly trust it because MS will lose the ability to charge consumers for every new OS version, that would completly screw up the current cash flow from hipsters and OEM upgrades. MS isnt Apple, they didnt get the same package, because Apple never sold theyr OS, they sold theyr services and hardware.

What certainly will be the case: 64 bit will become the new standart for every single (desktop) machine (Win 9 will be 64 bit only) and 32 bit will soon be wiped out from the big-PC computer-world, thats a inevitable development so the people should stop supporting 32 bit for the big machines. 32 bit will become a "smartphone standart" only because those are the only machines still happy with less than 4 GB in the next 10 years. In the year 2023+ even smartphones will probably surpass 4 GB (at that time when they offer support for 4k videos). Just hope the new PS4/Xbox720 will be 64 bit else they may hold back the PC development for another 10 years, bless us.

Last edited:
No, most people hate it because it is an OS designed for touch and most people do not have touch screens. There are already at least two third party start button programs out there and they have been downloaded by millions so far.

Windows 8 would be perfect if only they included the option to include a start button.

The hot corners/charms menu on the side of the screen is just not elegant for a normal desktop user and it's even worse for people with multi-display setups.

I think most people can agree that it offers a lot of improvements under the hood. It's gotten to the point where I almost can't stand people telling how fast it boots up, I get that it's fast but its not like you spend all day restarting your computer.

Eventually I will probably upgrade to win 8 to try it out. But I most likely will install Classic Shell or Start8 to keep the start button.

Thank you proving my point... people hate windows 8 for one thing.. metro........

Most people won't agree it adds more under the hood as most people don't look that far, same reason most people hated Vista, they didn't bother to look under the hood and understand the core, instead all they saw was a new GUI and more memory usage and jumped on the band wagon that Vista was crap. when it wasn't... even pre SP1.

Win 8 isnt mature yet and most software are optimized for Win 7 in mind. On top of that i dont know any special reason to use Win 8 at current time so i surely will pass on that. ................................

http://www.google.co.cr/search?q=wi...&sugexp=chrome,mod=4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

start reading....................some good, some bad....... but the good make good improvements as Vista did over XP and yet most XP users said they would die as XP installed.....stats show otherwise............

For the games i play the performance improvements looks like this:

According to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-11.html + http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-12.html

WoW: 1 FPS (whoot.. i guess with a better binned chip i get more than that). ;)
Skyrim: Nothing...

So i dont know why people hype Win 8 for its supreme peformance, for me there is simply no gain. Anyway, the good thing is that Win 8 is not a performance hog, in the way Vista was. Because Vista had worse performance than XP, so it was in no way in the same position such as Win 8. But still, the gain from a slight OC would easely outperform the gain the Win 8 OS could do, and some OC luck would be much more useful instead of changing the OS.

I guess they made some improvement on memory management, thats the cause of some FPS gain some games are experiencing. But its just as i said, its nowhere close to the gain some OC luck would be capable to reveal, sadly. Getting better hardware or getting a good OC chip is still unavoidable for any real performance gain. ;) Well i mean its really fine, i would gratefully accept Overclockers supreme Matrix-7970 GPU in exchange for several Win 8 OS (i will hand out those OS and rather take theyr Matrix GPU... way better deal). Then they can be happy with 1 higher FPS each PC and i will happily accept my 30 FPS gain, fair deal.

As opposed to your FPS gain, this one is the bad taste: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Gaming-developers-Stardock-Newell,16788.html
I clearly can see that movement, more and more locking down the OS, the same stuff Apple was doing all the time. Finally, MS is probably trying to make some comparable approach, but including selling a OS, which surely is a risky issue because many consumers may become feed up with this because they realize the way its heading. MS simply want to implement theyr service even more, in the same way Apple is doing it all those years and certainly highly sucessful because they became the richest company worldwide.

For the mainstream consumers, putting them inside a jail is probably the most succesfull thing someone could do because to much freedom only is making them confused and feeling insecure i guess. But for the professionals and all the people who would like a highly customizable OS, its a nightmare and it may lock down theyr possibilitys. Now we could say, "but those custom-lovers can still get Linux", thats just partially true because for gamers a Win OS is still mostly unavoidable in order to get all the possible features and support, so the gamers surely will have to get a Win OS, and the others certainly may switch to Linux. However, its well known that there is a increasing dev support for Linux OS at least, but still not big enough.

I think, a huge base of devs may not properly support Win 8 and keep stick with Win 7 as theyr main "support OS", so Win 7 users surely wont face any disadvantages and they may achieve the highest compatibility which is way more useful than a 1 FPS gain. ;) Because the by far most important ability a OS have to execute is to be compatible, thats absolutly critical, else big issues will happen. A few FPS is the smallest of all problems and im sure there isnt a single user in Overclockers who isnt able to increase theyr PCs performance in another way.

Last edited:
Back