• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista 8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That has not been my experience with Win 8

I guess different strokes for different folks..What have you've been doing with it that is has been so unstable for you? Maybe you're doing something wrong? What is your hardware you are using?
I have a laptop that I can't change anything with, so naturally it will be more stable than what ever you're using... :thup:

I guess different strokes for different folks..What have you've been doing with it that is has been so unstable for you? Maybe you're doing something wrong? What is your hardware you are using?
I have a laptop that I can't change anything with, so naturally it will be more stable than what ever you're using... :thup:

Besides the rig in my signature , I have W8 installed on an Acer laptop and it hasn't been very stable there , either. It doesn't seem to like multitasking much. I will cede the point that my CPU is a bit dated , but the laptop is running a Core i7 2670 and it has been the same story. Stability hasn't been a hardware problem.

People already do not like it...

People do not like change...

People did not like XP when it came out.....look how that turned out..

It is that simple. you can already get past the metro screen with some 3rd party apps so now it is a moot point,.

Most people hate windows 8 for 1 reasn

Metro..

and hey are too short sighted to bother reading about the million other additions to the OS, because those same people thought Vista was nothing more than a new GUI.....too many clueless people in this world.

I dont like it... why do i have to run a 3rd party app to get my start button back, I talk to IT people all day and they said windows 8 is not for business and it will never be. I dont mind change, but if Microsoft cant give more flexible options with up coming windows then they fail. #1 rule when it comes to change, OPTIONS!!!

Last edited:
People do not like change...

It is that simple. you can already get past the metro screen with some 3rd party apps so now it is a moot point,.

Most people hate windows 8 for 1 reasn

Metro..

and hey are too short sighted to bother reading about the million other additions to the OS, because those same people thought Vista was nothing more than a new GUI.....too many clueless people in this world.
So true... but their perception is market reality.

10XTriplet said:
what people? This forum? lol...
http://www.businessinsider.com/micr...silicon_alley_insider+(Silicon+Alley+Insider)

and google... :)

Last edited:
If we can hit some $300->500 price point laptop/tablet hybrids Windows 8 might take off.

I'm itching to buy a tablet and some of the upcoming ultrabooks are pretty slick.

If we can hit some $300->500 price point laptop/tablet hybrids Windows 8 might take off.

I'm itching to buy a tablet and some of the upcoming ultrabooks are pretty slick.

Ya Windows 8 needs cheap ultrabooks with touch screens/more tablet hybrids in order to be successful. The sentiment seems overwhelming that Windows 8 is a touch based OS and people don't want it unless their device is touch based.

Windows 8 so far seems okay, I've only used it at work right now, but what I really want to know is if it will do one thing I heard rumours of; play Xbox games on the pc. As someone who live streams a lot, this could be a good thing for me to try out. I have Xbox games that I like, also for people with one tv and a girlfriend, she can watch TV and I can still play my Xbox while using my computer monitors for computing tasks.

they wont do xbox games. I was looking in to this my self. That would make me switch to 8 for sure

Sorry I'm late to this party.

I was lucky enough to get Windows 8 Pro (final) through a student license agreement about two months prior to launch and installed it shortly after download.

Some developers at my job have been using enterprise for about the same amount of time through TechNet and have attended a few of the MS conferences around the nation.

Our SecAdmin at work used to hack for Uncle Sam and has been playing with the Enterprise version and keeping up with hacking sites and reviews.

The day Windows 8 was released, I reinstalled Windows 7.

The most obvious complaint by many is Metro. I didn't have too sour of taste for it because I didn't use it. I never really use the Start button and have most items in RocketDock or just launch them from the run prompt. So that whole thing wasn't really an issue, but running an IT department, I can't imagine any user base getting used to it. If not able to manage tiles through GPO, IT teams are going to hate Win8 (probably will anyway considering the other Metro features that are going to be impossible for a user to understand in a working environment).

Aside from Metro, my absolute biggest issue with Win8 was gaming. Games that ran perfectly fine on the highest settings had trouble on medium settings on 8. Hence why I went back to 7. After dying so many times in Act 4 on Inferno because of the system just decided to take a quick breather, I went back to 7.

As far as Security goes, MS did a good job with Win8 (giving a waiver on the pre-boot security hole that was found). There have been many kernel improvements that provided additional security, although it's only going to be a matter of time before they are exposed. One Security complaint I had was UAC. Metro apps do not run if it is disabled. If it's not disabled, I'm reminded of the Apple commercial where he keeps asking permission to do stuff.

You have the option of getting the Start Button back... by completely downgrading to 7. You lose all the explorer improvements and other visual improvement. The main one being the task manager (which freakin rocks btw). In the consumer preview, there was a way to disable metro and get the start button back, but in the final release, they tied it together in such a way that you cannot disable any one piece without disabling all improvements (GUI).

Good point, but a fundamental operating process has been changed in 8 for a single device out of three main target device groups.

you can already get past the metro screen with some 3rd party apps so now it is a moot point

My question is; why should I have to use a 3rd party app? Wasn't the whole point of Windows to provide a user friendly interface? And if it isn't user friendly, shouldn't I be able to change it a little? I thought Apple was bad in how you could pretty much customize your wallpaper and that's it... I didn't think Gates was reading from the same book.

Last edited:
One of my older PC's and Dell laptop still runs Vista, it's alright once you shut off UAC but Windows 7 is much more optimized. Vista has a trashy network code which can cause some lag (happened in Steam games).

I haven't read much about Windows 8, been trying to find out the smallest install size Windows 8 can do but haven't been able to find anything on it. Windows 7 with vlite can do 3.5-5GB install.

I'll probably hop on board (of windows 8 and purchasing a small tablet) if it allows manufactures the ability to offer a reasonably priced tablet that can run MS office and Rosetta Stone.

I'm not a Metro guy and hate that interface. With a touch screen, it might be doable, but for a desktop, keyboard/mouse...I want the tried and true start menu GUI. I was able to get a retail,boxed,version of Windows 8 Upgrade Pro for $38.88 on release day. At that price, well worth the experiment. I have wasted more than that on a bad meal and movie.

I installed it in a clean install. Had done some research before hand and had already decided that METRO was not going to be to my liking and I would not use it on the desktop. There are many options to help most are FREE. Startmenu8, Classic Shell to name a couple.

First thing I did was install startmenu8. That was better than the metro, but didn't have a few things I wanted like the search and run lines. Uninstalled it and now using classic shell, which does have those. At this point I'm very HAPPY with my Windows 8. I also went online and filled out a form (at MS) and obtained my FREE license and installed the new Windows media center...which upgraded my windows 8 install to the media center version. It was pretty stable from the get go. I allowed it after a few days to update and it is working fine. Has played every game I have installed and I've had very little problems. I installed it on a brand new SSD drive. I like how Windows 8 feels (with Metro disabled) and start menu back. It is quicker than windows 7 and appears to use less resources. From the time I turn on the machine and hear the "beep" as the bios info shows on screen to the time I'm on the desktop and surfing the internet.....9 seconds. I didn't time it but it seems my entire windows 8 install (from USB drive to SSD drive) was about 5 min.

All in all, I like the way the system looks and feels (with metro disabled) and I like how a lot of things seem improved. Copying files gives you much more info as to xfer speed (it even uses a graphical interface......and subtle other little things you notice as you use the operating system. I think MS made a huge mistake not allowing a user to "in house" enable the start menu interface......with the option to use either or, or both....but 3rd party software to do it is readily avail and that made it so much more easier for me.

All in all after one week of using it, testing it, trying to break it.....I give Windows 8.....about 4.5 out of 5 just because I had to install a 3rd party application to get the start menu back. Once you get that back it feels "normal" and I'm happy for now. I edited this message and re-hashed my score.

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 8 Pro and I kinda like its concept, but I hate the realization.
There are a thousand windows key + something else shortcuts that you should know if you wanna open stuff quickly, all my libraries stopped working 5 days after I installed the OS, Skype sucks, etc..
All that plus Microsoft's terrible support (incompetent staff that doesn't really bother finding a solution for your problems) equals a terrible experience.
Updates n whatnot should make the OS more stable or at least that's what I hope for, 'cause I'm not planning on reverting back to Windows 7.

I am really liking the Metro interface. I love Tweetro and some of the other apps. I like the Sports app too....

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 with a few tweaks. You can tell just by the look. I take that as a good thing since Win 7 is pretty darn stable.

I am hoping the Metro interface may be easier to learn for some folks who may be more used to smart phones and whatnot. I will see... but who knows.

Back