• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X3350 or Q9450

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I know these chips are identical, but is there any evidence that the Xeon counterparts are clocking as well as the Q's?

Looking at the specs on Intel's website it shows a VID of 1.212 where as the Q are .85-1.3625.

As my E3110 has served me well, I am very tempted to go with Xeon's but still wanted to ask everyone's opinion.

So.... X3350 or Q9450? That is the question!

It seems the Xeon's are running hotter. But until the temperature reading problems of these new chips are sorted out it won't be known for sure. I think you are best to wait for some more definitive answer.

Meantime consider a Q6600 which is about to be cheaper and seems to have a bit more OC potential.

I think the only reason to consider the Q9450 is reduced energy consumption and reduced heat output unless you have a specific SSE4 application when you can get a 40% gain.

I've already got a decent Q6600 G0, she's very capable of 4ghz.... just never had the cooling to keep it there. My E3110 runs great, 4ghz 500 x 8 with VID of 1.1125 in coretemp. My original plan was to grab a X3360 but I don't feel the .5 multi is worth the extra $200. However with your heat analysis that could be exactly why the Xeon's have a higher thermal spec as they may run hotter.

Back