• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP SP2 out today!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
do you have to have sp1 installed to intall sp2, in my opinion I would need it but just want to make sure.

Same here, windows update throws an error! I also can't get my StylesXP to work. Also, the default Luna theme doesn't work either!

I'm reverting back to SP1 from system restore. Going to wait until every bug is ironed out before i install again.

wait a min it's still not ready it's only a candidate. it's like saying hi i'm really still beta but with a cooler name I'm a release candidate
nah I'm going to wait till really comes out as SP2

Here is the list of stuff I blocked on my 3rd party firewall
1. IE so my devilish cusions won't use the internet they have no idea what's mozilla!
2. Windows Media Player is blocked and I ran Spybot S&D to clean it up
3. Real Player - why in the hell I installed bec/ my sister needs for a class aaaaaaaaaah.
4. MSN gay messanger - I don't use it somebody else does
5. any program that tries to register
6. ICMP, Mac Spoofing and IP spoofing

downloading it now, going to play with it before my full install later tonight, I will try installing it on a clean WInXP Pro, with out SP1 if it does not install I will put SP1 on it then try again, and give any feed back i can on it.

oh I didn't know there was a built in pop-up blocker, but what is this 'style xp' you all speak/complain of? I have not seen any bugs or quirks with RC1 as of now...

as for SP2, i think you do need sp1 first

Style is a 3rd party app that lets you tweak the looks of XP.

As for the pop up blocker, once you install SP2 just go to the top of the browser and click on tools. Pop Up Blocker Settings is the first option.

hehe it does popup blocking automagically
as for style xp, i do not care not big on GUI dressups

Capt Fiero said:
Argh I cant get into windows update, anyone else have that problem.

You have to enable the SP2 update for windows update to work...took me a little bit to figure that one out...just disable it after you have updated...

I went ahead and installed SP2 (as you can tell)...must say...am suprised with it...seems to be just the opposite that I had read about on [H]...it did not reset my security settings and I have full control on turning ANY serivce off...including the built in firewall...and the pop up blocker is not half bad...even block M$ own block ups...

Have noticed that my system seems to be running faster and my memory and CPU bandwidth did increase in Si Sandra...no changes in the BIOS from SP1 to SP2...

Sp1 is required to run SP2,

No problems with any software thus far or windows update using SP2

Firefox works fine, and is still my main Browser. though the popup block and IEspell make IE a formitable cometitor for Firefox, and I may switch back if firefox does not get a working spell checker in the near future.

Back