It has been a while since Windows 7 has been out in one form or another. Now that it has been released to retail, we thought it would be nice to share a collection of tips and tweaks with everybody else!
The RC (Release Candidate) build was out for a significant amount of time, followed by the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) build. Frequenting several places where early-adopters like to try things out, when RTM was released I started threads here at OCForums, at Overclockers Tech forums and at The Raptor Pit to gather input on things to make the Windows 7 experience even better. The response was great to say the least!
There are three catagories listed below of tips and tweaks:
1. Links that go to articles showing how to do things.
2. Applications that help you do them.
3. User Submissions formulated and submitted by folks from the various forums.
Now, without further ado, let’s get started:
- Tweak Win 7.com
- Various tips & tweaks for your perusal.
- Windows 7 Forums Tutorials
- Tutorials and the like from SevenForums.com
- Windows 7 Center
- All kinds of news, info, tips and such.
- Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax
- How to refine your searches to get the results you need.
- Windows 7 Tips and Tricks E-Book
- Downloadable e-book with good info. More basic stuff on newer additions to the Windows feature set. Good for a new Win7 user.
- Tweaks.com Windows 7 Tweaks
- Lots of tweaks from UI to performance and security.
- Windows 7: The Complete Guide by Gizmodo
- Sysprep on a Windows 7 Machine, Start to Finish
- Excellent guide (thanks for the link redduc900). Here’s the original thread asking the question for reference. ***If you aren’t 100% confident in taking the steps in this guide, beware. It works according to people posting at that blog and the guy that wrote it has no problems. But I’m not exactly a slouch when it comes to being tech savvy and it totally borked my install causing a reformat. So be darn sure you’re doing it right!***
- Microsoft TechNet: 77 Windows 7 Tips
- Straight from the pros at MS!
- OCZ Forums’ Windows Tweaks & Utilities
- Also contains some important tweaks for SSD users.
- How to Configure Parental Controls in Windows 7
- Tweak 7
- Tweak UI for Windows 7 …Note this program is shareware that requires purchase after 14 days (thanks johnz).
- 7 Free Windows 7 Tweaking Utilities
- Download Squad roundup of free utilities.
- Tweaks Logon Changer for Win7
- Change the background of your logon screen.
- The Ultimate Windows Tweaker v.2
- This is the real deal, written by Ramesh Kumar, a Microsoft MVP. This one works for Vista as well.
- Restart Timer for Win 7
- Handy little script that will tell you how long it takes for your Win 7 install to boot up.
- Classic Start Menu for Windows 7
- For all of us dinosaurs, you can get your old start menu back.
- ReadyDriver Plus
- Automatically disable enforced driver signing in Vista or Win7 x64 without having to do the F8 thing.
- Vista Boot Pro
- For ordering all of your MS OS’es in a multi-boot scenario. See these important notes by OCForums’ Audioaficionado first!
- Windows 7 Logon Background Changer
- c627627′s Win XP Search Queries
- Common XP-style queries from the Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax linked to above.
- c627627 also tell us how to get rid of Open File Security Warning
- Making the taskbar appear like XP & Vista
- Question & answer, courtesy of Johnz.
- S.M.A.R.T. monitoring not working? Read this little story.
- Then read this post by thideras on how to make it work without disabling UAC.
- Trim your Win7 install to < 3.5GB for use in a netbook, courtesy of nd4spdbh2.
From The Raptor Pit
- How to turn off UAC in Win7, courtesy of gracy909.
- Multi-Monitor Keyboard Shortcut, courtesy Wizzard0003.
Well, that’s all that’s been gathered so far. If you have any tips, tweaks or comments, please share them in our forums!
This article was cross-posted with Overclockers Tech.
Disclaimer: Overclockers.com and Overclockers Tech accepts no liability, either expressed or implied for damage to your operating system and/or computer due to the implementation of any of the tips, tweaks or applications referenced above. These are supplied for informational purposes only. Most of the supplied information is completely harmless, but please remember, anything form the above list that you try, you do so at your own risk.