• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Post your GTX480/470 Temps - Before/After TIM replacement ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I hear that it makes no difference from some people, others say that it drops temps by 10C+. Let's end this debate.

Simple, take your idle/load temps using 65% fan speed. Then take the cooler off and apply a fresh coat of good TIM (Arctic Silver 5, or whatever other good TIM). Take pictures :D then measure your new idle/Load temps at 65% fan speed. It would be also good to point out your ambient temperature.

You can also post auto fan speed or different fan settings, as long as you also include 65% fan speed for comparison sake.

I will post mine when I get it next week :santa:

Subermerscribedz :D

This is going to be interesting... I can't see temps going down right away, TIM takes 100 hours to cure...

I know it takes an hour or so but more than that? Are you sure you're not talking about epoxy? :S
>2 hours seems just waaay to long.

Depends, that indigo extreme stuff sports some interesting numbers on reviews. Not sure if they are accurate, but its worth looking into. Too bad they dont make something for GPUs.

Hmmm... I have heard, I think from ratbuddy that they already use a good thermal paste, SHin etsu or something like that. If that is true, then it would only be a poor application that would cause the temps to improve significantly.

On the curing issue tiny, Some TIM's dont even need to cure to get best temps, some need x amount of heat cycles and x amount of hours like what you quoted (blanket statements FTL btw). But most TIM's, IIRC, when they cure the temps dont drop another 10C, its like 1-5/7C or so in most cases (someone correct me if I am wrong) depending on the TIM's make up of course. So initially if its a crap application on these cards, like mfg are known to do, and a decent TIM is applied, one should see a noted improvement.

EDIT: As some quick proof, even within the AS's lineup it varies from 25/36/200/300 hours/heat cycles...SEE BREAK IN PERIOD HERE.

LOL @ that epoxy comment, that thread cracks me the heck up.

With that said, I will eventually participate and see. I have to test two 285's and get em up in the classifieds... :)

Last edited:
According to the link, i was off by 100 hours.... 200 hours for AS5 for the break-in period... just wow...

Depending on how long you game, that could take some time.... However if you fold, about 8.5 days of solid crunching....

I always thought AS5 cured faster from thermal cycles, Run your rig, Game hard, Turn it off and let it cool down completely, Repeat process. Always seemed to work for me and honestly I never saw much more than a 2° drop after curing and that usually happened after a few cycles.
If Nvidia did use a quality TIM it shouldn't make that much difference, From my past experience with both ATI and Nvidial you could expecty a significant drop by removing their TIM and applying some quality stuff. They both always seemed to gob on far too much of whatever stuff they were using.

Last edited:
i thought about replacing the TIM on my 470 but the only stuff i have around is some cheep stuff from bestbuy,

*edit*
BTW anyone suggest a good TIM that i can use on my CPU and GPU ?

Cycles always cure better then constant heat as far as i know.

I'd imagine the people that have gotten good gains got a lousy TIM application by the TIM-O-Matic when the gpu was made.

i thought about replacing the TIM on my 470 but the only stuff i have around is some cheep stuff from bestbuy,

*edit*
BTW anyone suggest a good TIM that i can use on my CPU and GPU ?

AS5, Tuniq TX4, OCZ Freeze Extreme, AC MX-2...

Cycles always cure better then constant heat as far as i know.

I'd imagine the people that have gotten good gains got a lousy TIM application by the TIM-O-Matic when the gpu was made.

Every single heatsink I have seen taken off had a huge wad of TIM on it. I just think that is the problem..

-D

Stock GTX 470 hit 99C on air in about 5 minutes or so of Furmark, 1920x1080 at 32xAA Time to get frying pan and some eggs and bacons.

This is even with Afterburner with custom fan profile that reached 100% at 80C+ I'm not sure where I want to go next: just replace TIM or spend extra and get WC blocks to cool more. I will post back when I decided what next. Maybe just one WC block for the "main" video card and leave second on air as it'd be mostly for seti@home.

dont let it 'ramp up'. with manually setting the fan at 75% before i start, i havernt sniffed 90C on fur...

When you pull the stock heatsink off, put a straight edge across it. Mine was NOT flat by any means (Or just look at the impression on the IHS). Only the two outside heatpipes were making good contact, I assume this is why they gob'd on TIM. I tried to sand it flat, but I got to the point where I felt like if I sanded anymore I'd be seeing the insides of the heatpipes.

I ended up replacing it with an MCW60 waterblock, haven't looked back. :p From 45C idle to 29C, 92C load to 54C OC'd to 775Mhz.

Well, below are my results...(if the picture is too big, refresh the thread and it will resize). You can see they put a holy ton of their TIM on. I cleaned it off, 'primed' the heatpipes (filled in the cracks) then applied AS5 as I normally would. Temps didnt seem to do much...but in all fairness, my ambient did jump signifincantly in that time...

Attachments

• IMG_1831.jpg
    IMG_1831.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 2,641
replaced tim with noctua. -5 degrees C +-. idle temps went from ~45 to ~40 and load went from ~70 to ~63. right now it is idling at 38 degrees C. i have the fan set in afterburner to quickly ramp up from 40% at idle(45 degrees) to 80% at load(70 degrees). as long as the fan speed stays below 80% i can barely hear it. it took about a day for the tim to settle in where i could get consistant results.

THanks guys, I will check with my store, they might have mine in by friday! :drool:

Back