• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Dead, Oc failure, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coswar

Registered
Hey, I've been icing my phenom 840 with help from some of the guys on here, and i was testing with prime95 and then i bsod , next time i turned on , my you fan is spinning at a 100mph and ther is a red led on the mono and nothing happens, can you please tell me what to do?

Clear CMOS, do you know how to do that? there should be 3 pins near the battery on the MOBO, 2 of them closed with a plastic bridge, move that plastic bridge to the other pin and wait for a minute or two then move it back and start the computer.

Well it put the fans back to normal for the first time I turned it on but it didn't boot so I pulled the plug and tried again and the fans were mad again....

Take the battery out for several hours. Sometimes that gives a deeper CMOS reset.

Sorry I didn't reply quicker, had to crash ,it was a about 4 am over here. Anyway the led is the DRAM_LED and its beside the ram and the mem ok button in the right hand corner, and I've taken out the battery now.

remove all but one stick of ram, try to boot with the ram in one slot.
if it will not boot move it to another slot.
if it still will not boot do the same thing with another stick of ram, then report back.

Tried all the possible combinations, but just to say , I can only use two of the slots because the CPU cooler is covering the other two , everytime the red led comes on and the gpu fan goes mad, except if I reset the CMOS, and then only the led comes on the fans are fine, but I can't use the power button I have to use the one on the psu. And nothing on my monitor ever.

Remove all power to the motherboard. Turn off power supply for sure. Remove all ram and then RE-apply power to the board. Board should beep the 'ram bad or missing' number of beeps. If it does not then the board is most likely bad in some way. Maybe a corrupt bios chip.

EDIT: After RE-applying power to the motherboard, you need to try to boot the computer and listen for any 'beeps'. I don't think I made that understandable.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Ok, well il try that , would the board of gone bad because of the overclocking?

Oh and by the way my case dosent have a speaker so i dont know if i can beep? my old case used to plug in to letit make the beeping ,but antec 300 doesnt have this....

Ok, well il try that , would the board of gone bad because of the overclocking?

Definitely possible. Just a couple days ago I suggested to an OC newcomer that he should play it safe and start out by using the ASUS AI Suite to explore safe OC options and was rebuffed by several people, including Trents. I am sure that these same "OC purists" will continue to tell people with no knowledge about what they are doing to just start changing values in the BIOS, and threads like this one where somebody burned something up because of that will continue to pop up on a regular basis. :shrug:

Yeah , but it was my fault really i couldnt remember what voltage they told me and i think i put the vcore up too high, anyway i got the first boot beep and then three more beeps in succession, and the dram light went out before it beeped.

Back