• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

40c IDLE???!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i dont think its on the cpu, the wb goes a lil over the edge of the cpu so there was room between the wb and the mobo to jam the censor in there.. that didnt afect the temps cause it was already 40c idle b4.. well most likely the temperature censor is just wrong thats what i would think..

when i mount my WB, i do it like an engine header...

i screw them in diagnolly...

1 2
3 4

I do 1 and 4 for a little bit, then 2 and 3 for a little,
and go back and forth till they're all done

masitti said:

If all springs are fully compressed, that would mean that the waterblock would be even. :eh?: Unless the springs are different lengths. :)

I guarantee the springs are different lengths. Do what maskedgeek said and loosen up the nuts until the spring are almost compressed, but not completely. Also, pull that temp sensor out. It's not gonna help you get cooler temps, just tell you a temp.

What kind of surface did you lap the block on? it may be smooth, but not flat. Check it with a good machinist's rule. They are very flat.

Just measured my springs, and they are all the same lengths, that is why I was asking. Although it is probably different.

ok, i should have clarified. Your springs are probably the same length when measured with a ruler, but not a micrometer. And, once they are compressed fully they act just like a bolt. So, just imagine that the springs are: 0.999", 1.000", 1.000" and 1.002" long. By cranking the springs all the way down, you could easily have the block cocked slightly on the CPU, leaving an air gap of about 0.001", which is HUGE as far as thermal resistance is concerned. However, by leaving the springs just short of compressed, there is much less chance of this happening.

Make sure that the waterblock is not rotated around the wrong way. The Maze 3 can be mounted 180 degrees the wrong way without really noticing it. The problem is the block catches the cpu mounting socket just enough to hang it up a little. You will still be able run, but your temps will be bad. Also what are your ambient temps? And are you using the motherboard sensor or cpu sensor?

<- If you look at my avatar you can see what I'm talking about with the mounting socket.

Josh

Back