• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1.4 266 FSB w/ ABIT KG-7 Raid MB Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildDonkey

Hey all,

While I have been overclocking for some time I am new to AMD processors.

I have an Abit kg-7 raid mb so I am using softmenu III to do the overclocking.

Here are my questions:

1. It is not clear from other posts if an Athlon 1.4 266FSB is locked or unlocked. Does anybody know whether I need to connect the L1 bridges? If I up the multiplier from 10.5 to 11 in Softmenu it will not post. Just BSOD when Win2k starts up. The processor does show 1600Mhz when the computer is booting. Does this mean that it's unlocked but just wont handle any overclocking?

2. I am running rock solid right now at 1499 MHz by just upping the FSB to 143. Whats the difference in doing it this way vs the multiplier. Voltage is at 1.775 I believe. I just moved it up one increment in Softmenu.

3. At the above settings 143FSB and 1.775 V I am running at 123F per the Via hardware monitor. How hot is too hot?

Forgive me if I am asking redundant questions, I tried to find specific answers by searching old posts but I wasn't getting anywhere. If anybody with a similar setup can recommend settings to me I would appreciate that as well.

My main concerns right now are temps and the multiplier problem. If I have simply gotten a processor that isn't up to OC'ing that's OK but if I am doing something incorrectly I want to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

hi and welcome to the forums!

1. all tbirds over 1.2 GHz are unlocked, you don't need to do anything

2. upping the fsb will increase overall performance of your pc while overclocking via multiplier only increases cpu performance

3. if i'm not wrong, 123F would be about 50 celsius. if this is the temparature when the cpu is under load it's ok but if it's the idle temp then you should consider getting a better heatsink and fan combo. amd's processors start becoming unstable if they get over 50-55celsius (123-133F).

i hope that helped you a bit.

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed to know. I have a Thermaltake Volcano 6U. I didn't use anything except the thermal pad that came on the bottom. That may be part of my temp problems. I am hovering around 123 F / 51C at IDLE. So I think I am definetely running hot. That's with voltage one step up 1.775 (I think) and 143 FSB (1499 Mhz).

I will work on the heat problem then attempt to adjust the multiplier again.

Back