• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 3200+, 1gb 400 ram won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ram used with the 3200+ is:

TwinMOS (M.tec)
PC3200 512 DDR (x2 sticks)
Model: m2g9j16a-mk
s/n: 433m45m53730540

You have the Authentic 3200XP, right? Why don't you just set everything to auto? I think the mobo will auto detect it as a 3200XP.

Set CPU to AUTO, Vcore to AUTO, memory to By SPD.

If you are NOT overclocking, DON'T mess around with the bios because you may do something wrong. Like I said, set everything to AUTO and it should just run and boot. If it is not a memory problem, and you can still get into the bios, it may be your mobo that is bad.

It detects CPU as 3200+ xp, yes authentic.
It sets DDR at 400 too and then it wont boot and just goes black and monitor blinks.. (see first post)

Games are crashing infrequently too :bang head

The only thing I can see that you've not changed out is the PSU. Remember that generic or discount PSUs often don't supply the actual wattage advertised. You may want to try an Antec or Fotron, min 350W PSU. Also, remember that there are 2 power connectors for most XP boards...

Sure its only got 1 power connection...

The psu is 400w and thats what the 6800 needs so maybe it could be a power issue?
How likely is that?

OHHHHHH I JUST NOTICE SOMETHING......

Have to thank Hafa actually. I just notice that he is running a 6800. 6800 vid card takes tons of power. I think his generic power supply can't support it. That is his computer can only boot at below average speed of his CPU. If you plan to change PSU, I will go at least with at 400W.

I'm not too sure about your mobo, but if it has an onboard Video, uninstall your 6800 and use that onboard Video. Otherwise change the video card and see if your computer can boot up or not.

madillo said:
Sure its only got 1 power connection...

The psu is 400w and thats what the 6800 needs so maybe it could be a power issue?
How likely is that?

The problem is not just connector. The problem is that 6800 needs lots of power. I believe this was the argument in the beginning when people are debating if it is worth the money to go with the 6800 because of need to change the PSU. They can get similar performance with the X800 without changing the PSU.

Generic power supply may claim to have 400W or even 550W. But trust me, they are just not stable. A name brand 400W PSU is way much better than a Generic 550W PSU. All overclockers know that. You will find out that Generic power supply is extremely light, and Name brand PSU is heavy. We are talking about quality.

In other words, you get what you paid for.

But before you go ahead and swap the PSU, try what I suggest earlier. Use the onboard video (if your mobo has one), or use another video card. If your computer is able to boot up as 3200+, then we will know for sure that you have a PSU problem.

Think thats the place to start first.

Would a Antec TRUE430PGB True Power 430W ATX Power Supply do it?
OR
a cheapo brand but much higher wattage and 1/3 of the price?
Ebuyer 600w Power Supply Silver With Tri Colour Dual

It's not just about the max power, it's about stability. I will go with the Antec. Or actually, you can try the one I am using from Thermaltake. I am very happy with this power supply.

I will strongly recommend to swap out the video card first before you mail order a new PSU.

Good luck to you, and let us know if it work.

Maybe you can get your PSU from a local store, rather from the internet.

I got an Antec 480W but it makes no difference... at least I have a blue glow now lol.
I guess that can only mean its the motherboard now.

Set at 3200+ (200) and 200 ram, it still gets to the windows error and boot options screen but on selecting 'safe mode' or 'boot normally' etc it restarts.

Personaly, I like the sparkle/fortron power supplies better than antec. Either way your getting a good psu, but you cant go wrong with fortron.

Yuriman, I think that the poor guy has spent enough already. I think the Fortrons are great PSUs as well, but he should be just fine with an Antec for now ;)

OK, madillo, let's recap.

You've tried alternates of the following:

Motherboard (PC chips and gigabyte)
CPU (2500+ and 3200+)
Memory (2 different brands)
PSU (old PSU and new Antec)

You've had the same problem (blue screen) every time you've tried to run the machine at stock speeds.

Unless you have 2 bad motherboards as you suspect (possible), the only things left are your video card or HDD since the CPU and memory have performed well in other machines (correct?). I tend to doubt the HDD, but you might want to boot into safe mode and run checkdisk just for fun. If checkdisk runs OK, just get a $20 16 or 32 meg agp video card to test things out. If you still get blue screens with it, you can then buy a new motherboard with confidence.

You will eventually isolate and resolve this issue. Keep at it, my friend. :)

Last edited:
Yes, you definatly need a 400FSB board to be able to run at 400FSB.
If you make sure that the NF7 is rev 2.0 then it will have the Ultra 400 nf2 chipset which can run at 200MHz and more

if the mobo is bad, not saying that it is, if you are a little worried about getting alot for your money, i would also look into the ASUS A7N8X, its only 61 bucks and it has almost all the same OCing features as the NF7, and it runs at 400mhz FSB

I may be close to an answer...

My friend who has the other machine - 2500+, 512mb ddr, who has the same problem, has found that with different ram the cpu is correctly detected and works fine.

This isnt an issue of faulty ram as it works fine in another mobo, no, its a case of this mobo doesnt seem to like how the chips are arranged on the stick itself.
This ram only has the chips on one side of the stick.
The other ram that gives no cpu issues has chips on both sides.

The mobo manual also mentions something about the ram chip arrangement or something.

Anybody ever heard of this or am I starting a revolution?

Back