• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 3200+, 1gb 400 ram won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Trouble is, when buying ram, they dont specify that amount of detail.

In my machine, I have the other problem.
I have ram with chips on both sides but it gives me problems.

My mobo manual doesnt mention anything about it.

Is this also referred to as 'single' or 'double' density?

The ABIT NF7-S MOTHERBOARD takes both.

well for reference, putting a single sided stick in my friends pc fixed his problems, putting either a single or double sided stick in my pc made no difference whatsoever.

Go figure...

madillo said:
well for reference, putting a single sided stick in my friends pc fixed his problems, putting either a single or double sided stick in my pc made no difference whatsoever.

Go figure...

Hey madillo, what's the model # of your Gigabyte board? Maybe I can find out something for you...

My friend has the Gigabyte GA-7S748-l SKT A SIS748 ATX Sound LAN USB 2.0 FSB400 ATA133 Retail Box.

Mine is the PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 will Take Upto a 3.2+ AMD Athlon XP And Sempron CPU's Motherboard in Retail Box.

Right guys, I'm back...

I now the proud(?) owner of an ABIT NF7-S.
Its all installed and I must say what a nice board it is too.

Still having the same problem setting the CPU though. I can set it to 3200 but I blue screen on bootup even on a clean install.

Can you advise me in fiddling with the BIOS to at least get the CPU to the correct speed?

TIA

I don't know exactly how old this thread is, but my M848ALU used to start sometimes and not start others. It appears that there is a common problem with this board only accepting "chosen" PSUs. That is, it's picky about which PSU you use. I had problems using my CompUSA 400 WATT PSU, and then when I upgarded my PSU to an Antec 400WATT Smart Power, it didn't act up as much, but it did a little bit. I'm still looking for a fix to this. But since you have a new board now, I don't think it matters anymore..

To set your CPU speed correctly if you arn't overclockin, set the CPU FSB speed to auto, and the same for the multiplier. If there is no auto setting, look your CPU up online for the correct bus speed (if it's 333, cut it in half and that's your chips FSB speed. If it's 400, cut that in half to 200, and so on).

I though this thread had been forgotten! :)

I still havent got a solution, but have now sold back one of the sticks of ram and am waiting for some more cash so that I can buy one stick of Crucial, sell the remaining stick Im currently using, then buy another Crucial.

The Crucial is guaranteed to work as you can use the Crucial memory tool to find your exact motherboard.
If the Crucial doesnt work then the only thing left is the CPU!

Im currently still running downspeeded to 2500+ but still getting random bluescreens.

I think you get the bluescreens because of the CPU running underclocked. I've heard of people having this problem before because it's basicly like overclocking - making the CPU run at a speed it wasn't designed to.

I'm trying to figure out how long the PC Chips standard warrenty on their motherboards is. If it's only one year, then I'm pissed. Cause AGP 8X didn't act up until a week after a year I had bought it. Now that's a bad warrenty...

yeah course its a vicious circle cos if I correctly clock the cpu, the ram causes the same problems.
Im banking it will all be solved with the Crucial.

Back