• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6100 acting up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Board does not fit the case or similar. Just does not fit in with your configuration of case and cooling. Or maybe better is that you want to run full speed ATI crossfire and that board is only 16x and 4x on the two long PCIe slots. That might be the best idea. The advertising of the board did not let you fully understand what was really happening and you want your two video cards to run at 16x and 16x. That sounds more realistic perhaps.

The newegg 30 day replacement/refund is still in effect. Ive only had it for 9 days today plus i have the 1 year replacement plan for it too.

You're lucky you discovered the problem so fast, otherwise you would be stuck with the board.

What exactly should I put as the reason and the message when i request the refund?(For people who have requested refunds to newegg before)

Put what RGone suggested, but you also might want to put that it is giving you sub par performance and is not working as advertised. (because that is the truth isn't it?)

Put what RGone suggested, but you also might want to put that it is giving you sub par performance and is not working as advertised. (because that is the truth isn't it?)

I was concerned about giving them an excuse to say the board would be RMA'd and not refunded so he could put his money into a good board. Not performing might give them a reason to say the board is bad and needs to be swapped for a working one and honestly, i would not want that board at all. Just my thoughts on wording.

EDIT:
See his post #8 I think it is where he responds after upgrading away from 970 type board.
END EDIT.

I was concerned about giving them an excuse to say the board would be RMA'd and not refunded so he could put his money into a good board. Not performing might give them a reason to say the board is bad and needs to be swapped for a working one and honestly, i would not want that board at all. Just my thoughts on wording.

EDIT:
See his post #8 I think it is where he responds after upgrading away from 970 type board.
END EDIT.

Ya, that Gigabyte 990FX board is unquestionably better, I didn't realize a 990FX board could be had for only 124$.

And I guess it's safer to write what you said. You wouldn't want to take any chances as its already a hassle RMA'ing it as it is.

Board does not fit the case or similar. Just does not fit in with your configuration of case and cooling. Or maybe better is that you want to run full speed ATI crossfire and that board is only 16x and 4x on the two long PCIe slots. That might be the best idea. The advertising of the board did not let you fully understand what was really happening and you want your two video cards to run at 16x and 16x. That sounds more realistic perhaps.

Alright well today is thursday so I'm going to ship it out on monday. You think its safe to use my pc for games and stuff in the meantime until I send the board back? I lag but at least i can play lol. I'm trying to decide what option to use: No Longer Needed, Product Dissatisfaction, Ordered Wrong Item.

You think its safe to use my pc for games and stuff in the meantime until I send the board back?

Just make sure you sent if off asap, you don't want to risk newegg nitpicking and screwing you over.

I'm waiting until monday because if I sent it out today it would just sit at the post office until monday anyways.

This board has been recommended to you twice in this thread. 124$ for a 990FX board, capable of dual 16x crossfire/sli and 8+2 power phase design. 30$ off brings it down to 124$.

Oh sorry I guess I overlooked it I didn't see anyone recommend that board.

So as far as the differences between the Gigabyte and the AsRock goes, the Gigabyte has 8+2 power phase for the CPU where the AsRock Extreme3 only has 4+1. So the Gigabyte should be a better overclocker and more reliable in the long run.

So as far as the differences between the Gigabyte and the AsRock goes, the Gigabyte has 8+2 power phase for the CPU where the AsRock Extreme3 only has 4+1. So the Gigabyte should be a better overclocker and more reliable in the long run.

Ditto.

AsRock Extreme3 = Just seen too many EX3's with issues and the FX-series, just here in the AMD cpu forum section. The Extreme4 seems a better choice for sure with the FX-series processor.

just tohught id add my 2 pennies about the asrock boards, i own the asrock extreme 3 and although it has served me quite well, the power phase do let it down and in hind sight i would go for the asrock extreme 4, but in all asrock's boards are performing quite well in reviews of late.

just tohught id add my 2 pennies about the asrock boards, i own the asrock extreme 3 and although it has served me quite well, the power phase do let it down and in hind sight i would go for the asrock extreme 4, but in all asrock's boards are performing quite well in reviews of late.

I often think we put way too much stock in reviews. I remember back to the release of Bulldozer. The review sites all got an Asus Crosshair five mobo to test with. No doubt a cpu that had been checked by AMD and a link to download a 'reviewers' version of CPUz and HWMonitor for use with the BullDozer and CHV. Cannot remember if all the review sites got the AMD approved mini-water cooling CPU cooler or not.

All the review sites were hyping the possiblility of 5.0Ghz and all the rest that goes with a review site that hopes to receive anymore parts and pieces to test for free. And you can pretty much be sure the review sites did not try to run Prime95 blend mode for two plus hours.

I can run benches at nearly 0.1 Vcore less than it takes to be Prime95 Blend mode stable. So we come to the point where reviews often do not follow closely what we do in the real world. Of course some reviews are better than others. Reviews serve a purpose for sure, but I personally put much more 'stock' in what the real users experience. In that case the EX3 has not fared as well as the EX4's have done here in the forum. So far at least.

And most of the first-time posters are asking for help to overclock because they 'heard' someone else did some sort of overclock speed. Those coming that way, have never paid close attention to what board and coolers and cases were involved in the overclock he heard about. He only wants to do the same thing with his $50.00 to $110 motherboard.

Yes I have a Bulldozer 8120 that was used when I got it. It will do 4.8Ghz prime stable on about 1.55Vcore. It will bench at 5.0Ghz with about 1.475Vcore, but it is n0t being cooled like most of these people wanting to overclock have their cpus cooled. I have c00ling. And I have this FX-8120 on a motherboard (CHV) that is likely one of the best boards for an FX processor to date. You cannot believe the heat coming off the motherboard itself, from the VRMs supplying the FX at 4.8Ghz stable. And yet still we have users come into the AMD cpu section with motherboards with no VRM heatsinks wanting to overclock. No sense in that. It would be like me trying a 10K run having never run such in my life. But it happens in forums all the time as regards parts and pieces and over-speeding those parts and pieces.

Last edited:
Any update on what you ended up doing? Did you pick up the new Gigabyte board?

Earlier in the thread I said I was sending that board back today which I did so once they refund me I will be buying the new gigabyte board.

Back