• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6100 acting up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also I'm getting lag and like 25 fps in dayz and i should be getting way more. What program do you recommend I use to get the footage? How is recording footage gunna help you though? When i start recording I lag even worse.
I've used ezvid before, pretty simple and works first time

Have you tried a virus or malware scan lately?
Just a thought...

I only have stuff on my computer that I downloaded from legit sources such as Steam, firefox etc. and I dont go to sketchy websites. I just installed windows on this computer and I know computer software so I promise you I'm not infected with anything lol.

This won't be HDD related
I wouldn't rule it out yet.
Got a failing drive in a RAID 0 of 2 WD Blacks.

Drive spins up and isn't necessarily loud, but has bad sectors (RAID SMART data useless, but testing confirmed), it kinda just skips around them and never BSODs...but clicks every once in a while and should be replaced. :D

Causes skipping/lag in games when it gets bad, but windows lags the same way.

@op
If recording through software and FPS show 70+ you might have a problem seeing it in the recording...especially with it slowing down from recording, but lets see.

I wouldn't rule it out yet.
Got a failing drive in a RAID 0 of 2 WD Blacks.

Drive spins up and isn't necessarily loud, but has bad sectors (RAID SMART data useless, but testing confirmed), it kinda just skips around them and never BSODs...but clicks every once in a while and should be replaced. :D

Causes skipping/lag in games when it gets bad, but windows lags the same way.

@OP
If recording through software and FPS show 70+ you might have a problem seeing it in the recording...especially with it slowing down from recording, but lets see.

The HDD problem would be in everything not just gaming.

I noticed your ht link is at 2400.. what is your cpu/nb frequency at?? My 6100 (not sure if its the cpu or motherboard but ive tried it on 3 different of the same motherboard i own)

I cant use anything higher than the stock multiplier for the cpu/nb frequency. So for example at stock fsb of 200 my cpu/nb would be 2000. I cannot up it to 2200 or i get lag in windows/IE/games.. So if I want a higher cpu/nb i need to use a fsb, for example, im using 250x18 right now for 2500 cpu/nb.

Try lowering it if you have it set to a higher multiplier

I noticed your ht link is at 2400.. what is your cpu/nb frequency at?? My 6100 (not sure if its the cpu or motherboard but ive tried it on 3 different of the same motherboard i own)

I cant use anything higher than the stock multiplier for the cpu/nb frequency. So for example at stock fsb of 200 my cpu/nb would be 2000. I cannot up it to 2200 or i get lag in windows/IE/games.. So if I want a higher cpu/nb i need to use a fsb, for example, im using 250x18 right now for 2500 cpu/nb.

Try lowering it if you have it set to a higher multiplier

Its at stock I didn't mess with that.

He said that it happens in both BF3 and normal Windows operation. That's why I got the impression it might be HDD related.

Yea I get an abnormal amount of lag around windows. More then I did with my other computer which was inferior to this one. I'm uploading my gameplay video to youtube right now too by the way.

Just for kicks, set your ht and cpu/nb speed to 2000 if you have not done that yet and see what happens.

Good call man. I have been searching for about 3.5 hours looking at the HT Link Frequency and the CPUNB frequency for FX-series processors.

For years it has been pretty common knowledge that CPU/NB should be faster than HT Link Speed. BUT now the default for FX-series is 2600Mhz and many boards make it difficult to raise the CPUNB as mentioned in this thread or another I was just reading.

On my Asus CHV it is easy to keep CPU/NB ahead of the HT Link Speed and so far I am still doing so as has been common knowledge for a number of years.

I cannot find good information about what can happen if the old methodology is not followed. CPUNB > HT Link Speed. At least not with the newer Bulldozer cpus.

Good call man. I have been searching for about 3.5 hours looking at the HT Link Frequency and the CPUNB frequency for FX-series processors.

For years it has been pretty common knowledge that CPU/NB should be faster than HT Link Speed. BUT now the default for FX-series is 2600Mhz and many boards make it difficult to raise the CPUNB as mentioned in this thread or another I was just reading.

On my Asus CHV it is easy to keep CPU/NB ahead of the HT Link Speed and so far I am still doing so as has been common knowledge for a number of years.

I cannot find good information about what can happen if the old methodology is not followed. CPUNB > HT Link Speed. At least not with the newer Bulldozer cpus.

Heres the video of me playing bf3
(It's still uploading) It doesnt look that laggy when I watch the video but it was lagging when i was playing.

Heres the video of me playing bf3
(It's still uploading) It doesnt look that laggy when I watch the video but it was lagging when i was playing.

Get that off Ultra and run it at your monitors native resolution. With only a 550ti you should be running it at med to high, not ultra.

And I kind of saw it, but you are running the game at some pretty high settings. You need to see if it still happens at low settings. Not running it at your monitors native resolution may also be contributing, unless really do have a 1024 by 768 monitor.

Last edited:
In all of the AM3 and AM3+ systems I've put together, when your running at stock CPU speed, the HT and NB speed should be set to 2000MHZ (2.0GHZ) that's been the default for me when I go in the BIOS after doing a new build. There will be a few exceptions, just start at 2000 and work up from there. I'v seen 2200 for HT and NB for FX-8150, not sure what FX-6100 will be.

Last edited:
Yea I get an abnormal amount of lag around windows. More then I did with my other computer which was inferior to this one. I'm uploading my gameplay video to youtube right now too by the way.
Okay, so I wasn't crazy. I thought I had read that. :eh?:

CPU-NB/HT Link works differently on Bulldozer compared to Phenom II. With Phenom II, you can not even set CPU-NB below HT Link multiplier.

Average CPU-NB overclocks on Bulldozer are ~2.4-2.6 GHz.

Last edited:
Get that off Ultra and run it at your monitors native resolution. With only a 550ti you should be running it at med to high, not ultra.

And I kind of saw it, but you are running the game at some pretty high settings. You need to see if it still happens at low settings. Not running it at your monitors native resolution may also be contributing, unless really do have a 1024 by 768 monitor.

Thats my native resolution im buying a new monitor soon and people have told me to lower the settings and i have and it doesnt change anything plus it doesnt only happen in this game so thats the not the problem.

So should I change the CPU-NB/HT Link? Seems like your all saying something different.

Last edited:
Back