• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 6100 acting up.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try putting CPU NB and HT both at 2400 and try that.

Also my bad, I didn't read he had problems in windows aswell as gaming ! May be a faulty HDD or as beep suggested a faulty sata. This is becoming a wild goose chase and I think I will bow out for now and let others have a go. Good luck in finding out what's wrong.

Try putting CPU NB and HT both at 2400 and try that.

Also my bad, I didn't read he had problems in windows aswell as gaming ! May be a faulty HDD or as beep suggested a faulty sata. This is becoming a wild goose chase and I think I will bow out for now and let others have a go. Good luck in finding out what's wrong.

Just did that and i got a bsod on boot.

You will need to bump the CPU NB voltage up to help the NB out, it will help you're memory out.

Ok I put them both back to 2400 and changed the voltage from 1.105 to 1.150 and i didnt get a bsod on boot but my windows 7 theme doesnt work now lol. I'm about to go to class I will test out playing bf3 with these settings when i get back.

1.2v should be abit right, but all chips are different and it may need more or less, you never know until you try. I said 2400 for both as those numbers have gave me the best results on fx, and as for you're windows theme, I'm not sure why that happened, maybe something to do with the bsod previously experienced, but I don't know to be honest.

1.2v should be abit right, but all chips are different and it may need more or less, you never know until you try. I said 2400 for both as those numbers have gave me the best results on fx, and as for you're windows theme, I'm not sure why that happened, maybe something to do with the bsod previously experienced, but I don't know to be honest.

v1.150 > BSOD Loading into bf3.

v1.180 > BSOD Loading into bf3.

v1.200 > BSOD Immediately after login.

Quite a few threads on various forums about raising CPU/NB on FX-series causes problems and AREO has issues at some CPU/NB speeds. Got to find the right balance. Trial and error for the speeds for sure.

Quite a few threads on various forums about raising CPU/NB on FX-series causes problems and AREO has issues at some CPU/NB speeds. Got to find the right balance. Trial and error for the speeds for sure.

Do you guys think this is the problem thats causing me to lag? And Idk what other combinations to do ive tried alot and the aero theme is still messed up and i keep getting a bsod. I dont wanna raise my nb voltage too high lol.

I just left the NewEgg site where the user reviews do not rate that board very high at all. About 40% give it 5 stars but the bad thing is almost 20% give it just one star. That is not good. Oh no I do understand where those reveiws come from but when I look for a board I look at such for every board on my list and that nearly 20% giving only one star and only 40% giving 5 stars would remove that board from my short-list of possibles to purchase.

Too hot keeps coming up about the north bridge and south bridge and that is a real no-no for AMD.

There have been plenty of 'good' ideas put forth that have fixed or changed the symptoms of many others in many forums. Nothing is doing any good with your setup. It is time to get away from what you have and do something serious to break out of this rut you find yourself in.

I understand the hard drive is slow. I would not like it that way. I am personally inclined to believe you need another motherboard. I know how money is so maybe RMA that one to sell it when it comes back from RMA but buy a good board not such a low level thing with poor user reviews.

I just left the NewEgg site where the user reviews do not rate that board very high at all. About 40% give it 5 stars but the bad thing is almost 20% give it just one star. That is not good. Oh no I do understand where those reveiws come from but when I look for a board I look at such for every board on my list and that nearly 20% giving only one star and only 40% giving 5 stars would remove that board from my short-list of possibles to purchase.

Too hot keeps coming up about the north bridge and south bridge and that is a real no-no for AMD.

There have been plenty of 'good' ideas put forth that have fixed or changed the symptoms of many others in many forums. Nothing is doing any good with your setup. It is time to get away from what you have and do something serious to break out of this rut you find yourself in.

I understand the hard drive is slow. I would not like it that way. I am personally inclined to believe you need another motherboard. I know how money is so maybe RMA that one to sell it when it comes back from RMA but buy a good board not such a low level thing with poor user reviews.

You really think its my motherboard thats the problem? And I have the one year extended warranty for the board.

You really think its my motherboard thats the problem? And I have the one year extended warranty for the board.

Your hard drive is quite slow too, but even a WD Blue drive should be enough for casual windows operation.

Still you can order an SSD now and see how your system works with it, may help or may not be.

This seems to be effecting every aspect of your computer though so a bad motherboard would explain things. You also should not have BSOD'ed so much when you increased the northbridge voltage, which would be something the HDD would not contribute too.

Having said this, I think you should get on contacting Gigabyte RMA ASAP. It will cost you shipping to do this most likely so keep that in mind when deciding whether to buy a new motherboard or not. The likelihood that it is a faulty CPU is usually really unlikely, especially since you never overclocked it.

Last edited:

I am going to say three things I think:

1. It is time to start swapping something out of the configuration. No adjusting by recommendations at this end have had any positve effect according to your testimony.

2. I used to buy at NewEgg almost exclusively until they screwed me on the last purchase I made. Knowing NewEgg policy, I always had the product in and tested within two days of receipt. This gave plenty of time to get RMA for replacement or refund as applicable.

3. If I had setup and tested the system you have and it acted like it does within the first two or three days of testing...it would have been long gone back for refund or replacement. There could be more than one thing contributing to your overall problem and that is why I said if it had been me, the whole thing would have gone for replacement.

All that said, something has GOT to change. You are going to remain stuck where you are from now on, without a major change by starting to replace hardware. From what I see that board sucks compared to other choices. So it would be gone to RMA and another board bought. A good board. When the board returns from RMA, I would not even hook it up. It would go to ebay for sale.

That is me. I have learned my lesson many years ago about buying at some low price point. I seldom was pleased overall. If we were talking about a 35,000 dollar car it is tough to get a 'really' good product, but we are only talking about a couple of hundred dollar board vs a hundred dollar product. That is chicken feed to get the best or at least better board.

I worked with customers like yourself for 6.5 years and if I knew they were adjusting as I requested and we got nowhere in 5 or 6 emails, I told them to RMA the board immediately to 'remove' it from the possible cause of the problem. That way if they still had a problem the issue was with something other than the product I supported. That is about as cut and dried as it gets I think.

I am going to say three things I think:

1. It is time to start swapping something out of the configuration. No adjusting by recommendations at this end have had any positve effect according to your testimony.

2. I used to buy at NewEgg almost exclusively until they screwed me on the last purchase I made. Knowing NewEgg policy, I always had the product in and tested within two days of receipt. This gave plenty of time to get RMA for replacement or refund as applicable.

3. If I had setup and tested the system you have and it acted like it does within the first two or three days of testing...it would have been long gone back for refund or replacement. There could be more than one thing contributing to your overall problem and that is why I said if it had been me, the whole thing would have gone for replacement.

All that said, something has GOT to change. You are going to remain stuck where you are from now on, without a major change by starting to replace hardware. From what I see that board sucks compared to other choices. So it would be gone to RMA and another board bought. A good board. When the board returns from RMA, I would not even hook it up. It would go to ebay for sale.

That is me. I have learned my lesson many years ago about buying at some low price point. I seldom was pleased overall. If we were talking about a 35,000 dollar car it is tough to get a 'really' good product, but we are only talking about a couple of hundred dollar board vs a hundred dollar product. That is chicken feed to get the best or at least better board.

I worked with customers like yourself for 6.5 years and if I knew they were adjusting as I requested and we got nowhere in 5 or 6 emails, I told them to RMA the board immediately to 'remove' it from the possible cause of the problem. That way if they still had a problem the issue was with something other than the product I supported. That is about as cut and dried as it gets I think.

And what boards do you suggest around the same price range?

I would recommend the Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 for 139.99$.

And depending on how long you had the motherboard, you will probably have to RMA through gigabyte.

The newegg 30 day replacement/refund is still in effect. Ive only had it for 9 days today plus i have the 1 year replacement plan for it too.

If you do an RMA through Gigagbyte you will get the same board back (maybe fixed, maybe not) or an identical replacement. I would return the board to NewEgg for a refund and then get a different board.

If you do an RMA through Gigagbyte you will get the same board back (maybe fixed, maybe not) or an identical replacement. I would return the board to NewEgg for a refund and then get a different board.

What exactly should I put as the reason and the message when i request the refund?(For people who have requested refunds to newegg before)

Last edited:
Back