• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Has anyone successfully slipstreamed the new AMD Zen2 drivers into their Win 7 x64 install ISO yet?

The trusty ol' Ryzen Edition ISO obtained from hwbot no longer works properly on X570 mobos, it probably needs the new USB drivers.

finally all information i need ,
1 ) CPU do not overclock well 4.1-4.2 avg and max of 4.3-4.4 .
2 ) It is impossible to get even max boost clock for all core without going subzero
3 ) subzero cooling on avg 4.8-5.0 ghz and max of 5.1-5.3 ghz
4 ) poor overclock is not related to cooling or motherboard/ram/bios it is limit of chip
5 ) AMD is advertising max possible frequqncy as turbo boost which is hardly archival . usually you will end 100 mhz or so less
6 ) delid do not make sense do not improve temp/overclock .

So as conclusion as CPU it is really great and has decent performance , but it is already at it s max almost nothings to get from overclock .

Is there going to be a big benefit to going with the 3900x over the 3800x if I want to try and both play games and stream at the same time?

Hoping to see a nice bump going from my 1600 @ 3.7GHz.
The 3900X is 12-cores and the 3800X is 8-cores so there's a big difference between the two chips

Has anyone successfully slipstreamed the new AMD Zen2 drivers into their Win 7 x64 install ISO yet?

The trusty ol' Ryzen Edition ISO obtained from hwbot no longer works properly on X570 mobos, it probably needs the new USB drivers.

You're correct and I haven't had time to dig them up.

Cliff's.......... 3-9% better ST perf, little to no change in MT. Games went negative and positive.

I like the ST perf bump. Without reading it, seems like a function of clockspeed.

I read it and it seems to point to ST increases, the shared cache taking a slight hit on the multi-CPU performance. But where there is one BIOS update there will be more as we have all seen. It looks like AMD is really shining again. Can't say that OCing is the thing to brag about, but e-gamers should get a boost from this Ryzen series.

Ram is going to be fun... just swapped in the 3600 in place of 2600. Booted no problems but noticed ram was running at 2400. I put it back to the 3400 I had on 2600 (XMP3600 then reduce to 3400) and... no boot. Gonna swap in the 3000C14 kit instead to try next. I note my mobo with latest bios has AGESA combo 1.0.0.1 and understand 1.0.0.3a is required to have the updated turbo. Maybe there's some ram support difference there too.

I'm running 1.0,0,2 which fixed what you're seeing. The system would boot but RAM was a mess. XMP didn't work nor did manual settings

Did a little bit of monkeying around today with the 3900X and The X470 CHVII
Managed to get 3800 memory pretty much stable at CL 16, 30 minutes AIDA64 memory stability test and a bunch of benchmarks. I also have it running 1:1 so no latency penalty.

3800 AIDA c and mem.JPG
3800 AIDA.JPG
benches.JPG

Oooh, very nice! Especially since you are 1:1 past 3733!

AS a side note, I'll have 4 boards and a CPU (3700x) arrive tomorrow.

I'm running 1.0,0,2 which fixed what you're seeing. The system would boot but RAM was a mess. XMP didn't work nor did manual settings

So I have to wait for a bios update?... or get a new mobo. I got XMP 3000C14 with TridentZ modules working ok, which is what I'm using to bench now.

Initial impressions: it runs really hot with P95, like 80C with Noctua D9L. Some say might be a density thing? Power figures were lower than 2600 while doing more work. I need to digest those numbers.

P95 bench run also performed, but I need to get that into a spreadsheet once I'm done fooding.

Is there going to be a big benefit to going with the 3900x over the 3800x if I want to try and both play games and stream at the same time?

Hoping to see a nice bump going from my 1600 @ 3.7GHz.

A russian reviewer took a look at streaming using the 3700x and 3900x, using Far Cry 5 and x264 medium/slow presets. Should apply well to your case, I'd assume.
TLDR;
3700x will stream 1080p60 x264 medium 6mbit with 0% dropped frames and ~100fps in Far Cry 5.
3900x will stream 1080p60 x264 slow 6mbit with 0.1% dropped frames and 94 fps in Far Cry 5. 3700x would drop about 3% frames and deliver 87 fps.

Google translate is your friend

https://3dnews.ru/990367/page-2.html#Производительность при стриминге

I've found a post about the BIOS kerfuffle that's been going around done by the Stilt https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1728758-strictly-technical-matisse-not-really.html

It seems it has more to do with ASUS and a shifty BIOS than the updated ucode. According to him any reviews done on the CHVIII should be looked at with suspicion unless done with the 0066 beta BIOS that was vetted by AMD. Luckily I toed the line and did what I was supposed to but apparently, some didn't and according to him their results are skewed.

You're correct and I haven't had time to dig them up.
Guess you are still too caught up in the new launches for the time being, would appreciate if you can link/share the ISO when you are less harried for time.

Many thanks in advance, cheers.

Psh. That's still like 15 degrees cooler than my 9900K :)

8086k stock, delid+LM, Noctua D15 under same load runs around 55C. I could try a bigger cooler on the 3600. I have other Noctuas in other systems so maybe a straight swap to bigger would help.

Back