• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This makes me wish I still had my 9850 to toy around with. Freeze it and see how far she goes. Anybody here used a 9850? What was the highest stable overclocks you got with normal cooling like water or air?

A couple of mine.

2134225.png image_id_1682281.jpeg

Why can't we just go back to X2 AM2 times... Like first released X2 AM2 times...
Such as when Nvidia made chipsets still. My M2N32SLI-Deluxe was a beast! Good old Nvidia 590 chipset in it too.
My board was one of those 3-in-1 AM2, AM2+, and AM3 boards from ASRock. Had a Radeon 4000 series onboard GPU. Have to hand it to the system, it was pretty capable for some light gaming. My next step up was the iGPU of an A8-6800. Sometimes I wonder if the actual CPU part of it was any better than the 9850 lol

I'm starting to think the Crosshair makes overclocking too easy. Been messing with different methods the last couple of days and took a R7 1700 to 3800 MHz with 3200 MHz CL16 ram using Ryzen Master which was pretty easy to do. Then last night I did a "full" auto OC by changing only the multiplier and ram dividers. Both were done in steps to give the ram a chance to train at the higher frequencies but it was just too easy Memory I used for this round Model F4-4266C19D-16GTZSW G.Skill 4266 CL19-19-19 2x8GB
What I found really impressive is that the BIOS didn't really overvolt the CPU too much as you'll see in the pics.

Ryzen Master

RYM 3.8 3200 mem 30 minutes.JPG

Full auto OC even ram timings. Only Multiplier and ram dividers set manually ~ 80 minutes P95

3800 3200 ram 80 min.JPG

I'm starting to think the Crosshair makes overclocking too easy. Been messing with different methods the last couple of days and took a R7 1700 to 3800 MHz with 3200 MHz CL16 ram using Ryzen Master which was pretty easy to do. Then last night I did a "full" auto OC by changing only the multiplier and ram dividers. Both were done in steps to give the ram a chance to train at the higher frequencies but it was just too easy Memory I used for this round Model F4-4266C19D-16GTZSW G.Skill 4266 CL19-19-19 2x8GB
What I found really impressive is that the BIOS didn't really overvolt the CPU too much as you'll see in the pics.

Ryzen Master

View attachment 189957

Full auto OC even ram timings. Only Multiplier and ram dividers set manually ~ 80 minutes P95

View attachment 189958
Color me surprised. I had heard things were getting easier with the new microcode updates included in the BIOS​ revisions being rolled out lately, but I was a bit skeptical. Good to see they're getting better. Would hate to have to wait around to grab my R5 so there can be some adjustments to it.

That was BIOS 1002 the latest official one for the CHVI

Just couldn't wait any longer for the Taichi, so I got a Prime x370-PRO and 16GB of G-skill, how I have to decide on which chip. 1700x or 1700.

Should have waited. ;)
What is done is done.
Just couldn't wait any longer for the Taichi, so I got a Prime x370-PRO and 16GB of G-skill, how I have to decide on which chip. 1700x or 1700.
Since above: 2 questions-

1) will you be overclocking?
2) will you be using extreme cooling?

If 1) but not 2): 1700
If not 1): 1700X
If 1) & 2): I'd say 1700X to increase likely hood of higher clocks.

If you were going to go with the Taichi I'm thinking 1700X. The total cost works out about the same? :shrug:

Good luck with purchase and please let us know how it works out.:)

Nagorak I was holding off for Taichi but the Fatal1ty is a maybe . [email protected]

Hey, I just wanted to say that I decided to bite the bullet and just make the drive to return the boards. The logistics of selling it on to someone else just turned out to be too much trouble. But, I see you picked up an Asus Prime, so I guess you're good. :)

The Asrock Fatal1ty Pro was really an expensive board, and frankly I'm not sure it was worth the high cost anyway.

By the way, if any of you live in the LA/OC area, it looks like my boards are back on the shelf at Micro Center, and they've been marked down to $200. I'm not sure why both were marked down, since I told them one was totally unused (and it was still attached to the styrofoam insert even), but I guess they just fire sale anything that's been returned.

Last edited:
Back