• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I will be going with a 1700x (the sweet spot of Ryzen 7). Water to start, Same system I have on my FX 9590 that works really well. (3-360 rad. & Over sized Water Block ). I know its over kill, but I have it.

On April 11 AMD will be Updating the Ryzen Master to !.0.1 with 2 changes; 1: they are removing the tCTL Temp. offset. and 2: No longer enables HPET and if running a AGSA 1.0.0.4- basic Bios more.

Last edited:
There was some interesting information in the latest Ryzen Community update that explains something odd I had noticed. My current board doesn't have P-state settings, so I figured it would use a lot more power at idle if I overclocked in the bios. But, strangely, after setting the frequency in the bios, idle power consumption didn't appear to be any higher at all, even though all cores were now pegged to 3.9 GHz. It seemed like even though it claimed it was running at that speed, it was still clocking down behind the scenes.

Well, it turns out that is exactly what is happening. The chip can still enter "CC states" regardless of what P-state Windows is set to. Which also means that locking out the P-state with an overclock doesn't really make much difference.

There was some interesting information in the latest Ryzen Community update that explains something odd I had noticed. My current board doesn't have P-state settings, so I figured it would use a lot more power at idle if I overclocked in the bios. But, strangely, after setting the frequency in the bios, idle power consumption didn't appear to be any higher at all, even though all cores were now pegged to 3.9 GHz. It seemed like even though it claimed it was running at that speed, it was still clocking down behind the scenes.

Well, it turns out that is exactly what is happening. The chip can still enter "CC states" regardless of what P-state Windows is set to. Which also means that locking out the P-state with an overclock doesn't really make much difference.
No it does. Read the Ryzen Master guide. SenseMI gets disabled once the multiplier is set over stock. Also, since CC states are disabled, the only way to engadge power savings is through P-states.

@Nagork, BF

You can still lower power by not changing frequency. There are a lot of advanced power gating at work in modern x86 architectures. Even though the "core" frequency has not reduced, other parts of the core may be turned off or put into some sort of low power state.

@Nagork, BF

You can still lower power by not changing frequency. There are a lot of advanced power gating at work in modern x86 architectures. Even though the "core" frequency has not reduced, other parts of the core may be turned off or put into some sort of low power state.
True, but my understanding from the document is that internal voltage control via senseMI is disabled when overclocking, at least that is what the document says. There are definitely more than one way to skin a 🐈. [emoji14]

True, but my understanding from the document is that internal voltage control via senseMI is disabled when overclocking, at least that is what the document says. There are definitely more than one way to skin a ��. [emoji14]

I know it's not quite the same topic but I have found two ways now to OC without losing the power states. With the P-state editor in some BIOS and with the Ryzen Master SW. I think the SW tricks it since the PC starts windows at stock and OC is applied after but it does cycle down during idle.

Johan, its just like AMD GPU overclocking. You can have different levels for each p-State, even with edited BIOS. It is probably far easier to disable all the handling in the greater majority of BIOS when overclocking than it is to get per-p-state overclocking to work properly.

This is a bit new in x86 CPUs, especially since there are a lot more parts to the core than there are in GPUs.

Will the power savings options work if folks only change the multiplier and adaptive voltage?

No, as soon as the multiplier is changed the power savings are disabled automatically

Has anyone try comparing benchmarks between Windows 7 to window 10 , AMD is saying that a new updated chipset driver package along with windows 10 will make boost performance 3% to 21% in most popular games. Right now windows 7 is faster.

True, but my understanding from the document is that internal voltage control via senseMI is disabled when overclocking, at least that is what the document says. There are definitely more than one way to skin a ��. [emoji14]

I'll have to check more thoroughly. It looked like power use at idle was about the same. The numbers seemed closer than you'd expect unless voltage was still being reduced, but I could be wrong. I'll run a test with a kill-a-watt over a set period and see what differences there are.

Has any one done any ssd raid0 results with the x370 b350 vs z270 ? I havent seen any yet im interested in the results

With sata? Nothing really changes...

Nvme I haven't seen in amd, but on I tel, it's seemingly limited to a but above 3000MB/s

I never used to get as good speeds on AMD and NV chipsets as I did on Intel's . That's why. I'm asking.

Back