• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well lets just hope AMD isn't doing the same calculations that brought them to the conclusion that the Fx 8350 was a 125w chip.
I have a 6300 running at 4.8 GHz. The other day I was messing around and put a Kill A Watt on it. It got over 200 watts just doing mundane tasks. I didn't dare run Prime95 and look.

Or we could, you know, not expect a chip operated beyond its label to remain within the labeled spec?

Well lets just hope AMD isn't doing the same calculations that brought them to the conclusion that the Fx 8350 was a 125w chip.

I have a 6300 running at 4.8 GHz. The other day I was messing around and put a Kill A Watt on it. It got over 200 watts just doing mundane tasks. I didn't dare run Prime95 and look.

Or we could, you know, not expect a chip operated beyond its label to remain within the labeled spec?

Uh, where did I state that I expected a chip that is overclocked 1.3 GHz to operate at the stock 95 watts? Could you point that out to me when you get a chance?

The post that we both quoted implied such.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the gains from the overclock vs how far they clock up to. Hopefully not a product of diminishing returns....
Agreed Shrimpy :thup:

I don't believe that was his intent Petty.

Don't you may have a stroke. Here's my 8350 @ 5.2 running 3D mark Vantage with a GTX 580 Oced. Yes that says 827 Watts drawn from the wall.
IMG_3855a.jpg

Come to the Dark Side, ED. Witness the power of a fully operational Ryzen Death Star! MUAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Hell, I may try to figure out how to swing a Ryzen in to my tiny budget this year.:D

OK, it's official. We need a Darth Vader emoticon.

Yes that says 827 Watts drawn from the wall.

Good golly, Miss Molly! I have an amplifier with a 15 lb. EI transformer that doesn't draw that much juice in Class A!

Take the 20% PSU efficiency loss off of that 827 figure and that's what it's really using.
So, roughly 650w from the PSU. That's about right for that combo and clocks.

Last edited:
JohnnyGURU measured 85% efficiency for that PSU at that power output, so more like 700W actual.

Whatever. I wasn't trying to be that specific, and I didn't look up the PSU.
I'm sure everybody got the idea.

So the 827 figure is just the CPU?! I guess ill cross the FX @5ghz off the wish list! Out of curiosity, do the stock figures match the specs, or is there a bigger draw than you would expect?
It's the entire system.

Back