• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That 1600X has the makings of an epic CPU for budget minded gaming builds.

Why the 1600X? Most gamers dont overclock their CPU so there is no need to spend another 30$ just for a 100MHz higher base clock and 200MHz higher turbo clock. I think the 1500 will be enough for the avarage gamer.

Why the 1600X? Most gamers dont overclock their CPU so there is no need to spend another 30$ just for a 100MHz higher base clock and 200MHz higher turbo clock. I think the 1500 will be enough for the avarage gamer.
Most gamers don't overclock, so why not buy the CPU that does it for you? Extra performance, no work.

I'm with you, it would probably make for a good balance of price/core count/power dissipation, and would only get better if it has decent overclocking potential. Heck, even a 1400X might make for a nice gaming rig on a budget. Are there any good figures out there on how most games scale with over 8 CPU threads? i.e. Would 8C/16T actually make a difference for the average gamer?

Also, has anyone else noticed that the confusing "pro" versions from that one earlier leak are nowhere to be found? I'm not complaining, though, that seemed like it would have been super confusing to have both "X" and "pro" versions.

Most gamers don't overclock, so why not buy the CPU that does it for you? Extra performance, no work.

Hmm right, People dont understand its not worth it most of the time.
I think ill maybe buy the R5 1500 If the overclocking for it and the R5 1600X will be similar.

I think ill maybe buy the R5 1500 If the overclocking for it and the R5 1600X will be similar.

Aren't we assuming that the 1500 will be a lower bin than the 1600X? By that logic, I would guess that the the overclocking potential would be lower. My guess is that the 1500 will be better for people who don't overclock, and the 1600X becomes worth it for people who do plan to overclock.

Personally i would hold off on any auto-overclock until at least Gen2, besides the less chance of bugs i would rather "get my hands dirty" and have fun with it then let some weird software do the job, this looks too much like GPU Boost (which i despise).

Aren't we assuming that the 1500 will be a lower bin than the 1600X? By that logic, I would guess that the the overclocking potential would be lower. My guess is that the 1500 will be better for people who don't overclock, and the 1600X becomes worth it for people who do plan to overclock.

Yes, But like the locked Skylake chips, There might be some gems, The thing is the consistency of these gems. I wont have the money at the lunch anyway so i will see whats worth buying.

I am eye ballin' that 1400x... Hopefully when it's released we see some benchmarks. Hoping they are close to the performance of the quad i7s
I agree with your eye ballin Blue, for the average user the 1400x is likely all the chip one needs. If it holds it's own with a 7700k it's a really really good buy.

Just a Guess ........
1) I think AMD has some Special Sauce included in the "X" version.
2) The chip will only OC until the TDP is hit. This would be 65w for the regular and 95w for the X processors.

3) I'm just smoking crack and have no idea :facepalm:

I agree with your eye ballin Blue, for the average user the 1400x is likely all the chip one needs. If it holds it's own with a 7700k it's a really really good buy.
Hell Manny, if it's even 75% of the performance, is a full 2/3 the cost of the 7700! I'd like to see some benchmarks comparing it to an OC'ed FX as well. Honestly, my current FX is sufficient for my needs, but I would love m.2 support, and more memory. It seems the memory market is moving away from DDR3 and the prices have climbed for DDR3 since last summer.

Just a Guess ........
1) I think AMD has some Special Sauce included in the "X" version.
2) The chip will only OC until the TDP is hit. This would be 65w for the regular and 95w for the X processors.

3) I'm just smoking crack and have no idea :facepalm:
AMD has stated that you can adjust the Chip's max TDP if your motherboard supports it. Was in that wcc link a bit back that talked about XFR.

AMD has stated that you can adjust the Chip's max TDP if your motherboard supports it. Was in that wcc link a bit back that talked about XFR.

Incentive to build a heavy-duty water cooling setup so you can jack up the TDP to 200W during the few free-electricity evening hours or night depending on your electric provider and run some serious Folding@Home :)

Incentive to build a heavy-duty water cooling setup so you can jack up the TDP to 200W during the few free-electricity evening hours or night depending on your electric provider and run some serious Folding@Home :)
I live on an a military installation, and they don't charge us for electricity. :)

24/7 jack up that TDP! [emoji14]

Upgrading to a higher end cooling unit gives you more thermal headroom. < DUHHH that is why we are Overclockers :)

Adjusting the maximum TDP limit in your motherboard’s UEFI/BIOS settings has the same effect on the power headroom. < So the MB makers can choose which board they will let OC ????

Upgrading to a higher end cooling unit gives you more thermal headroom. < DUHHH that is why we are Overclockers :)

Adjusting the maximum TDP limit in your motherboard’s UEFI/BIOS settings has the same effect on the power headroom. < So the MB makers can choose which board they will let OC ????

Yeah basically, but only for the auto-overlooking stuff. I'd assume that manual overcooking is as normal.

While I'd personally be interested in a R5 1600X or 1500 whenever they actually are released, $260 is not a "budget minded" CPU by any means. Only compared to the $500 R7 1800X maybe. Before AMD Ryzen blew the prices up, the high end was the i7-7700K, which Microcenter sells for $320, mid-range was the i5 -7600K which they sell for $220, and budget might be a low-end sub $200 i5 or for a real budget minded gaming build a $115 i3-7100. Seems like you guys are stretching the price ranges up pretty high to make AMD look more reasonable. The AMD Ryzen budget build CPU is the 4C/4T R3 1200X, which I think that would be a perfect match for a 4GB RX 470/480 GPU budget gaming rig. From the clocks, threads and reported Haswell level IPC, it probably would perform somewhere between the Kaby Lake i3 and i5 depending on how it overclocks.

While I'd personally be interested in a R5 1600X or 1500 whenever they actually are released, $260 is not a "budget minded" CPU by any means. Only compared to the $500 R7 1800X maybe. Before AMD Ryzen blew the prices up, the high end was the i7-7700K, which Microcenter sells for $320, mid-range was the i5 -7600K which they sell for $220, and budget might be a low-end sub $200 i5 or for a real budget minded gaming build a $115 i3-7100. Seems like you guys are stretching the price ranges up pretty high to make AMD look more reasonable. The AMD Ryzen budget build CPU is the 4C/4T R3 1200X, which I think that would be a perfect match for a 4GB RX 470/480 GPU budget gaming rig. From the clocks, threads and reported Haswell level IPC, it probably would perform somewhere between the Kaby Lake i3 and i5 depending on how it overclocks.

Built the i5 rig in sig main components around 350$ for board cpu and memory. It games very well. I have no real "Need" for any Ryzen chip in all reality of it only to perhaps throw money at thread count.

VS Intel, looking at thread count alone and NOT IPC, the AMD chip may hold a better bargain cpu vs cpu having 16 threads.

I won't be shelling out big money for Ryzen for the need of it. I may buy a low end chip and board, do a de-lid and wait till prices start dropping good hopefully by the end of 2017.

I am also interested on how their hyper-threading performs. Being a new tech, it might take a while before developpers use it at its best.

Damn, in any case, that's such a great news that AMD is finally back in the game, for both CPU's and GPU's. Tired of throwing my money in Intel for the last few build (2600kx3, 3770kx2,4770k, 4790k and 5820k...). Last nice AMD chip was a Thuban x6 (running [email protected] :D)that I was running at the same time as one of the 2600K's in 2012...

- - - Updated - - -

Built the i5 rig in sig main components around 350$ for board cpu and memory. It games very well. I have no real "Need" for any Ryzen chip in all reality of it only to perhaps throw money at thread count.

VS Intel, looking at thread count alone and NOT IPC, the AMD chip may hold a better bargain cpu vs cpu having 16 threads.

I won't be shelling out big money for Ryzen for the need of it. I may buy a low end chip and board, do a de-lid and wait till prices start dropping good hopefully by the end of 2017.

Overclocking margin will play a big role: Broadwell-E just don't overclock on ambient cooling (well, nothing significant anyway), and according to what we'vr seen so far, a [email protected] would just crush [email protected]/4.4 (which is the best you can expect from those...), and would play in the 6950x sandbox!

Looking back at my own post, I think you have a good point. I think most members of this forum (myself included) are going to have a very different definition of "budget minded" than most. The 1500 and 1600X fall in a similar price category to the 7600K, which would probably be toward the upper end of price for most people's gaming rigs. It's easy to get excited amidst all this discussion.

As it stands, it sounds like relatively few of us are actually planning to go all the way to the $500 1800X, and even enthusiasts like ourselves will probably gravitate more to the middle/upper-middle of this range. In terms of what would actually be "needed" in order for reasonable gaming, almost any of the chips in this lineup seem like they would be adequate.

Back