• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple dual g4 vs. dual amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
UnseenMenace said:

Why is Gates getting his wish? most studios I am aware of are using *nix rendering and applications was'nt Shrek for example done on linux farms ?

The Apple OS is actually based on open source products and is currently available for the x86 processors which should mean that it works on the AMD 64bit platform as well.. The OS itself is actually a *nix called Darwin, it is only the OSX GUI which is not open source and is only available for the MAC

I think most 3d movies are rendered on Linux. Sun systems "rents" out rendering farms.

That is why i like OS X so much, it's because I know it was based on a form of Unix.

you processors are not already overclocked? at least have the ram at agressive timmings. i think an overclock would be more than justified since the mac does cost more and you would have had higher clocked athlons if you had spend the extra $.

this tyan board doesn't really have anything for overclocking except for the program cpufsb which i won't be using for this test.

eli said:

I think most 3d movies are rendered on Linux. Sun systems "rents" out rendering farms.

That is why i like OS X so much, it's because I know it was based on a form of Unix.

I thought Windows XP was now based partially on Unix as well??

windows xp was based on windows 2000 and the NT kernel, no unix as far as i understand. correct me if i'm wrong.

I think that XP and 2k have some BSD code in them. I'm not sure, but I think the stuff MS borrowed was networking related.

If you can do a fresh Install of windows and do not install anything you will not need for the benchmarking. Do as minimal as possable no background pictures or anything. That should give you the edge. And see If you can get your hands on an other 256mb of ram so you can get 1gig.

Go amd go, macs are grossly under-powerd at the moment,
your pc should beat it hands sown at most things,
but sum apps have still got rediculously optimised code
for apple, and not pc...
Tweak ur system up as to impose maximum embaressment
to the apple rep, the sooner apple make sumthing decent the
better, cos I can use osx and a good (hopefully amd based) mac.

After reading this- I was thinking that thats not really a fair competition. That dual 1.25 costs well upwards 3 grand. For that you could do dual xp2400 on phase change. That would make the mac go running out of the room begging for mercy ;)

Rent to of the same DVD's from your local movie store....or bring them from home...same lenght..see which machines Ripps the dvd and encodes it the fastested...that could be one form...but I would really stick to something like video editing, rendering, etc...if not you will be involved in an arugment with no end...like someone stated before...beat them at their own game...

Mac is soooo dead.

Intel's got hyper-threading, AMD's coming out with the Athlon64.........gimme a break, MAC can't hold out against that.

How about a dual setup of hyperthreading CPU's? 2 physical CPU's, but 4 logical ones! Or a dual setup when the Athlon 64 comes out!

Good luck Mac. Kinda like the rice burner of the computer world. "We don't need REAL speed, we just need to make it look pretty and trendy!!!!"

well stumpjumper for one thing xp pro only supports 2 cpus to my knowledge not 4 so two logical cpus would be wasted. you'd need 2000 server to get it working on all 4. correct me if i'm wrong though.

well stumpjumper for one thing xp pro only supports 2 cpus to my knowledge not 4 so two logical cpus would be wasted. you'd need 2000 server to get it working on all 4. correct me if i'm wrong though.

edit: stupid double post :(

Stumpjumper5200 said:
Mac is soooo dead.

Intel's got hyper-threading, AMD's coming out with the Athlon64.........gimme a break, MAC can't hold out against that.

How about a dual setup of hyperthreading CPU's? 2 physical CPU's, but 4 logical ones! Or a dual setup when the Athlon 64 comes out!

Good luck Mac. Kinda like the rice burner of the computer world. "We don't need REAL speed, we just need to make it look pretty and trendy!!!!"

Intel's had hyperthreading for over a year now and Apple didn't die. Its not right to say "Mac is soooo dead". Thats like saying "Pentium is soooo dead".

Athlon64 won't make much of an impact for most people besides being effectively yet another faster x86 cpu. If you're worried about 64bit that badly, Apple is getting a 64bit Power4 derivative called the PPC970.

I think the hardware used in Macs is mostly fine, the big clincher is that its a closed hardware platform, although just recently its become possible to buy a normal ATX PowerPC motherboard w/ cpu at a somewhat reasonable price through normal channels.

At any rate, you should benchmark with rc5 and make sure the cpus are at the same clock speed! I.e., dual 1250mhz G4 vs. dual 1200mhz Athlon, or dual 1300mhz Athlon.

You can't build a mac.

Boooooooooooooring. You're basically buying a Dell with different hardware :rolleyes:

And is there anyone here who would buy a Dell over building their own system? nope. And if they would, they're in the wrong place, since you can't overclock them.

Can you overclock a mac? I don't know, but I haven't seen a major company that you can buy a system from and then overclock it.

Back