• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple dual g4 vs. dual amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, you can't build a Mac unless you scavenge the likes of eBay for parts. But you can build a normal PowerPC box to run LinuxPPC or maybe even OSX.

And yes, you can overclock Macs.

At any rate, you should benchmark with rc5 and make sure the cpus are at the same clock speed! I.e., dual 1250mhz G4 vs. dual 1200mhz Athlon, or dual 1300mhz Athlon.

How is that fair?
Thats like benchmarking an xp1600 vs a celly 1.4 and saying that its fair since theyre running at the same clock.

My point is- there are many more factors to performance in a cpu besides clock speed.
Different proc architecture.
Benchmarking an athlon 1.2 vs motorola 1.2 achieves absolutely nothing. Pricewise there is no comparison. They are running on different chipsets. In that case- yes the mac would most likely win. But a duron 1.2 can be had for about $30.
This competition is like comparing a dodge viper to a ford tarus and saying that doge is faster.
A a viper vs a mustang cobra would bea bit more fair.

nealric said:
My point is- there are many more factors to performance in a cpu besides clock speed.
Different proc architecture.
Benchmarking an athlon 1.2 vs motorola 1.2 achieves absolutely nothing. Pricewise there is no comparison. They are running on different chipsets. In that case- yes the mac would most likely win. But a duron 1.2 can be had for about $30.
This competition is like comparing a dodge viper to a ford tarus and saying that doge is faster.
A a viper vs a mustang cobra would bea bit more fair.

A "bit" more fair? The viper would stomp the cobra.

On the note of mac vs. pc, I want the mac to win simply because they are so....uhh....nevermind. AMD!!!!!!!!!! AMD!!!!!!!!!! if an AMD can beat a P4, think what it'll do to a G4:sn:. Talk about ninja skillz.

I have nothing against macs, in fact, my favorite game of all time is a mac-only game (EV-Override). I was looking into getting a mac box soley for that game for a while.

I agree that you should whup it in it's home stadium. go for some heavy graphics progs.

i think it'll be close as every benchmark i have seen puts them very close. remember the mac is heavily optimised.

check the hardware that the dual mp needed to beat the mac. it aint cheap.

I'd be nice If you could put linux on both machines then run the benchies from there (Wouldn't the code then not be that optimized?). Then do audio/video encoding, a few select games, 3D rendering, and folding. Would that be code-biast at all?

You can put Linux on both machines. Don't know about optimized though. Of course, if everything on the Mac side is super optimized (which I doubt), wouldn't that be regarded as a benefit of and contributor to the platform?

XWRed1 said:

At any rate, you should benchmark with rc5 and make sure the cpus are at the same clock speed! I.e., dual 1250mhz G4 vs. dual 1200mhz Athlon, or dual 1300mhz Athlon.

i dont think that is fair because the mac 1250 costs 3 grand and is the top of the line, the 1300 athy is obsolete in the pc world.....

and it is well known that the macs are 64bit cpus and clock per clock should be faster

XWRed1 said:
You can put Linux on both machines. Don't know about optimized though. Of course, if everything on the Mac side is super optimized (which I doubt), wouldn't that be regarded as a benefit of and contributor to the platform?

no because mac is optimized for ONE type of cpu, a small set of hard drives, a small set of vid cards, a small set of ram, and one type of mobo. Windows has literally thousands of different products it has to support, so it can't optimize it's code as far. Code that is optimized for a pentium for instance might be slow as sh*t on an AMD.

i like the debates going on here but other than rc5 (which is what?) i'm having a hard time finding a mac compatible benchie like 3dmark. any ideas on this?

the motorola chips aint 64bit,
but they have that 128bit altivec (velocity engine) instruction
set thing going on...
dont make it a 64bit chip though, or 128bit,...

But IBM's chip *will* be 64bit, and it *will* be backwards compatible like AMD's x86-64. Not gonna be here for a while though.

Intel's most likely going to go the 64-bit route also, the processor is codenamed "Tejas"

But Tejas will come after Prescott, so we're going to be waitng quite a while before we see that.

Then again there's Itanium2 but that's gotta cost some serious $$$, and it's 64-bit only.

Intel already went 64bit years ago, and they decided to brute force it with a better architecture rather than limp along catering to the millions of people who need to support an unjustifiable dependence on old, legacy software.

Besides, for most people who use x86 machines now, being 32-bit won't be an issue for several years at least.

Stumpjumper5200 said:
You can't build a mac.

Boooooooooooooring. You're basically buying a Dell with different hardware :rolleyes:

And is there anyone here who would buy a Dell over building their own system? nope. And if they would, they're in the wrong place, since you can't overclock them.

Can you overclock a mac? I don't know, but I haven't seen a major company that you can buy a system from and then overclock it.

People dont buy Dells becasue you can get Windows to run on just about any x86 hardware you can throw at it. People buy Apple because MacOS only runs on Apple hardware. Macintosh users have a tight night community with their god being Steve Jobs and his reality distortion field. Heck, I own an old mac yet I am captivated by Steve :).

You can overclock G4's, one site is http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/. There are plenty of other ways. Sure, I enjoy and encourage this Dual Apple vs Dual AMD comp, its intereasting and respectful to both sides, you on the other hand, is being direspectul to the mac community, and degrading a computing platform that has been in the past a powerful force in computing, and it continues to be.

Ever used a firewire port? Ever used a GUI (I know, Apples claim to it is shady at best)

Regards,
Fedorenko

>Ever used a firewire port? Ever used a GUI (I know, Apples claim to it is shady at best)

The GUI was developed by Xerox, Apple took it from Xerox, and then attemted to sue MS when they took it, but the judge rules they could not sue because they stole it from Xerox,

Xerox did nothing and did not care.

deRusett said:
>Ever used a firewire port? Ever used a GUI (I know, Apples claim to it is shady at best)

The GUI was developed by Xerox, Apple took it from Xerox, and then attemted to sue MS when they took it, but the judge rules they could not sue because they stole it from Xerox,

Xerox did nothing and did not care.

typical. Gates stole the pc and windows, Jobs stole the GUI. Lmfao.

Back