• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aynjell's i5 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well crap, I just ordered this lol. I think my ram will work with this though, I'm only using 4 gigs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

I don't see the EXACT manufacture number on the website but at least the same brand.

Here's their ram list. :p

Goodluck with the build!

Thanks! Just got done assembling the server, gave the 750's to the server and jumpered them to run in sata 150, and put them on my SI3114 thingy that's onboard DFI SLI-DR. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but I'm willing to try it since nforce raid just won't work.

:shrug:

So tomorrow i'll be recieving two crucial things, a bunch of networking cable and a new stick of Crucial Ballistix RAM. Potentionally also the hold down kit for my water block.

I won't like to you guys though, water cooling won't come until after January 10th sometime. I'm going to wait until I can afford all my fans. :)

I am still awaiting my 4th stick of crucial RAM, I'm assuming this is due to the weather, but a 3 day ground package beat a 2nd day air package. I got my network cables but no stick of RAM. ALso swiftech is fixing my upper hold down plate issue so once I get that I'll have a Apogee GTZ SE to mount on my setup, but water cooling will most likely wait until january when I can afford a bunch of fans.

P1010009.jpg

---

P1010008.jpg

---

P1010010.jpg

Lmao in all your pics Pip boy from fallout is there :D all 3 of those games were awesome Nice setup :D

Here's someth8ing a bit more respectable. It needs a few fan controllers so I can get the fan mate out of there, and some more fans on the radiator. I'm hoping that fans on the bottom of the radiator will move enough air over the RAM sticks that it will keep them relatively cool. As it stands now, they get blisteringly hot. That should let me get rid of that lone noctua.

By the way, the name of the box is now Maleficar.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,017
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,014
Last edited:
I've overclocked it to 3.2 so far, and after comparing it against results from 3.8... I'm left scratching my head at whether it's worth cranking the voltage up. For now, Vantage gained almost nothing, moving 600Mhz north, and with the voltage it required to get there I'm content to just turn turbo mode on and play some games.

I've arrived at these clock rates, and unless they're proven unstable, they're where I'm sitting for some time. Here is my reason:

160x10 (1333 setting for RAM speed in BIOS, is actually a 10x multiplier) gets me to DDR3 1600.
160x20 gets me to 3.2, and I can enable turbo mode (no vtt or vcore boosts at all).
No voltage bumps at all, everything is set to auto, I can run low speed fans, and get great temps.

Okay, why did I settle? Because 3.8Ghz w/ DDR3-1500 vs 3.2Ghz w/ DDR3-1600 was almost a wash in benchmarks, as an example, P14000 in Vantage for 3.8, P13912 in Vantage for 3.2... kind of makes you say hell with it, don't it? Less wear and tear, and who knows, maybe I'll get another 260 and might want to oc then, but right now, I'm seeing little benefit in game. I don't need a humongous overclock for anything else I would be doing (browsing the web, moving files, reading, etc, or listening to music)... I need it in game, and if there's no benefit, then why bother?

We'll see how this goes.

Last edited:
I finally got around to ordering up the fans I needed to complete this setup, but unfortunately I don't have the fan controllers for it quite yet. I need two sunbeam fan controllers, modded for white/red leds from performance-pcs's.

As of right now, I got 7 white yate loons and 3 red yate loons coming from petra's. Also some screws for my fans to mount against my swiftech rad. I'm looking forward to actually having the theme I set out to have, and it only cost me about 65$ shipped. Not a bad deal for a whole bundle of yates of the exact color I wanted my PC to glow.

Still on my wish list: cooler master 230mm fan that glows red, and two fan controllers with white & red leds painted by craigbru or modded by myself... not sure how I'm going to go about doing it but we'll see. :)

Here's the latest and greatest, ladies and gents!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 653
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 119
And yes, I upgraded from a black silencer to a red silencer. Because I like my theme too much. :)

(actually, I needed a power supply for my server and the red silencers were on sale at 55$, so I figured what the hell, buy the red silencer for the main rig and use the black one in the server. Seemed like a sound decision, and worked out for the best!)

The rig is still being constantly rebuilt and tweaked. In fact I haven't used it in 3 or 4 days now because I'm tweaking it. My RAM is very under volting friendly, which is a great thing because it runs really freaking hot so I've made it my current goal to get it tweaked just right at 1600mhz. I've already got it set to 1.5vdimm, which is .15 vdimm lower than stock... and will try 1.4vdimm tomorrow, though I'm doubtful that will run... but if it were I'll keep taking it down a notch or so each night. Right now I'm really enjoying torchlight on my ex rig, that is to say the girlfriend's current. :)

My strategy is to find the lowest voltage it's stable at, and then bring the timings up. I doubt it'll see more than 1600mhz during it's use so I'm trying to focus on lowering the RAM temps for now. Either way, it should prove to be a very rewarding exercise, at the very least showing me some of the limits of the RAM.

Awesome. I was looking through all the pictures in this thread and your rig's really looking better and better with every update. The vault boy is a nice touch too ;)

Awesome. I was looking through all the pictures in this thread and your rig's really looking better and better with every update. The vault boy is a nice touch too ;)

Yeah, I'll post more as soon as the 260 comes. I think it's gonna look boss. =)

I am really happy with all the gear. One thing that made me sad about the board though is no firewire connector. I have this thing about me where things have to work. that firewire port on the front of my case has to work. Finding a pci card that lets me do that was a pita.

I'm really hoping that the new card clocks as well as the old one, and has the same color scheme. I think I'll cry if it's the black one. I need 2 red ones for that "perfect look", but I guess in the end performance first. =)

One question: Is it possible get a GTX 460/465/470 and use your current 260 as PhysX or something of the sort? I'm not even sure if GTX 260's can be used as PhysX, but I was thinking just in the interest of future-proofing :)

Also, another little thing that was bothering me: I think a second cable management hole for your SATA cables/PCI cables would clean the whole rig up really nicely. Maybe you could find a spot to stick that 24 pin cable too ;)
Sorry, but I tend to really notice erroneous cables in a case. I think if you got those couple of ones snaking up through the middle cleaned up, you would have a really stellar looking rig; it already looks great but that little bit of cleaning up would really bump it up a notch. Just my two cents :)

edit: ah, i see you already moved the 24-pin outta the way. It definitely looks a lot better.

One question: Is it possible get a GTX 460/465/470 and use your current 260 as PhysX or something of the sort? I'm not even sure if GTX 260's can be used as PhysX, but I was thinking just in the interest of future-proofing :)

Also, another little thing that was bothering me: I think a second cable management hole for your SATA cables/PCI cables would clean the whole rig up really nicely. Maybe you could find a spot to stick that 24 pin cable too ;)
Sorry, but I tend to really notice erroneous cables in a case. I think if you got those couple of ones snaking up through the middle cleaned up, you would have a really stellar looking rig; it already looks great but that little bit of cleaning up would really bump it up a notch. Just my two cents :)

It's already going behind the motherboard tray and out through a hole designed for that. I agree sata wire management would be nice, but I am not seeing it as a requirement just yet. I'll wire manage again when I can afford a nice high end modular unit. I'm waiting for a 1000 watt modular with a 120mm fan that has the same space requirements as the current lower end... so that I can hook it up and have the fan pulling air straight through the opening at the bottom of my case. Also, the pics you are looking at aren't current. The EPS power connector runs behind the tray now.

A hole for the sata cables would be nice, for sure, though.

Video power cables aren't manage-able, as they are not currently long enough to reach all the way to the video cards from any kind of hole, and I am not really sure it'd help anyway.

Why? the 460/470/480 already have PhysX. You would be better off selling the 260(assuming you have one) and getting (2) 460 in SLI

Back